BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #485
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
Now you guys are back on the engineering thing.
It's cause a re-engineering of a wheel is no simple matter. This is assuming they even engineer the wheels at all. By what we've heard and seen so far, I don't believe they do. And no one at ADV has ever confirmed any engineering whatsoever on any of their wheels.

Oh, you want a wheel that we sell "x" pounds lighter? Sure, we'll just re-engineer it for you. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #486
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

At this point, this thread is a joke. Both issues were resolved in ways that ADV.1 went above and beyond my expectations and made things right. What more do you guys want. This has become a witch hunt IMO.

Also, they probably engineer their wheels to a generic very high load rating to make sure no cracks or wheel failures occur because they know that people like you guys would rip them apart if something happened like what happened in that Vossenn thread. That wheel can easily be engineered to be much lighter than 34lbs.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #487
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR///M3 View Post
At this point, this thread is a joke. Both issues were resolved in ways that ADV.1 went above and beyond my expectations and made things right. What more do you guys want. This has become a witch hunt IMO.
No one is debating whether they ultimately took care of the customer by refunding him his money.

Would you be defending them so much if you didn't own their wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #488
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No one is debating whether they ultimately took care of the customer by refunding him his money.

Would you be defending them so much if you didn't own their wheels?
Ok well then this thread should close and a new thread should start if we're debating a different topic. Honestly, by me owning a set, ive seen the quality up close. I probably wouldn't post as much in this thread if this was an HRE thread because I don't have as much personal experience with that company, but since I've had personal communication multiple times with Jordan, I know that they are great guys.

But even if I didn't know as much about the company, I would still have the strong opinion that this whole thread was blown out of proportion and people are slandering ADV.1 just because.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #489
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
you guys forgot one custom wheel company that probably has the best motorsport reputation mentioned in this thread: Fikse.
I raise you one...APEX!! Doubt if their custom..but from experience...lots of race teams use them and they take on a good beating...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #490
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

It's great that they are taking care of this. That's wonderful customer service, no doubt about it.

It is a bit concerning to me that they are going to simply remove something like ~8 pounds from these wheels. If it is so easy and there's no question of safety, why aren't all of they're wheels designed this way?
      04-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #491
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
At this point, this thread is a joke.Also, they probably engineer their wheels to a generic very high load rating to make sure no cracks or wheel failures occur because they know that people like you guys would rip them apart if something happened like what happened in that Vossenn thread. That wheel can easily be engineered to be much lighter than 34lbs.
Whole heartedly agree...I love though how the critical Vossen threads just vanished and the "favorable" reviews remain.. takes some definite reading between the lines..but I guess people will make their own conclusions on what was going on there
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #492
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Whole heartedly agree...I love though how the critical Vossen threads just vanished and the "favorable" reviews remain.. takes some definite reading between the lines..but I guess people will make their own conclusions on what was going on there
No doubt. Vossen must have some good pull here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #493
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajag View Post
I'm the poster from MBworld who was quoted earlier in the thread with the concave ADV08s that came in 25% above the estimated weight. Just wanted to post a nice update of how customer service should be handled, and ADV did it right.
Although you may have been satisfied with their second attempt at good customer service the fact that the wheels came in 25% above a spec/target/estimate (whatever it was) further demonstrates a serious lack of real engineering. Heck even design work with no formal "engineering" whatsoever using 3D CAD will get the weight of the wheel nearly dead on. This shows that even this minimal level of design work was not done.

In contrast when there was the group buy for the RAC RG63 wheels here on the forum RAC got the final weights of the wheels estimated within 1/2 pound or so. IIRC even the 1/2 pound was known but added in through a minor design change to make the wheel meet a slightly more aggressive vehicle weight specification.

The utter lack of real engineering by these guys is only reinforced by this anecdote. Buyers beware IMHO.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 04-20-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #494
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
It's called $$$
      04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #495
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
exactly. all politics here (you would hope the moderators would try to make this an unbiased site, but I guess not). you would think that since the vossen issue was actually something MAJOR and had directly to do with the company's design, that the thread would be 100 pages, but it was deleted after no more than 1 page was filled with comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #496
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
It's called $$$
Quote:
exactly. all politics here (you would hope the moderators would try to make this an unbiased site, but I guess not). you would think that since the vossen issue was actually something MAJOR and had directly to do with the company's design, that the thread would be 100 pages, but it was deleted after no more than 1 page was filled with comments.
Exactly they must be very up on their sponsorship dues
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #497
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I would just add that its one thing when a thread goes away regarding tunes, exhausts, blowers etc....but these are wheels!!! Without a doubt one of the most critical safety components on a car...and we as forum have a right to unbiased AND uncensored information when wheels fail..completely unacceptable..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #498
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I would just add that its one thing when a thread goes away regarding tunes, exhausts, blowers etc....but these are wheels!!! Without a doubt one of the most critical safety components on a car...and we as forum have a right to unbiased AND uncensored information when wheels fail..completely unacceptable..
I don't see a need for any threads to go away. Just shows the shadiness of all involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #499
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Not that it has to do with the original post but the vossen picture clearly showed where the person had hit a curb the tire had marks on it. Wheels are not meant to hit curbs at speed.

Swamp I agree with what you are saying about the weight and the software. but I guess when you market lightweight as an additional cost than you have to show it could be heavier.. That way it's more than just perceived value.

Once again customers happy so that's what matters.

Last edited by db71; 04-20-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #500
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

It's funny that they treat customers so differently before and after a thread is made on the forum. So if u want some real customer service, make sure post them online.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #501
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Once again customers happy so that's what matters.
Well only to the extent that he got his money back.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #502
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
Well only to the extent that he got his money back.
And got to keep the wheels everyone's a sucker for free.

Next up on eBay for the low low price of 4995 some used Porsche cayenne wheels location Taiwan.

The one downside to how these issues were handled is it sets a precedent now your gonna see every person with every little bitch posting a thread somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #503
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And got to keep the wheels everyone's a sucker for free.

Next up on eBay for the low low price of 4995 some used Porsche cayenne wheels location Taiwan.

The one downside to how these issues were handled is it sets a precedent now your gonna see every person with every little bitch posting a thread somewhere.
You must be joking right? You think he wants to leave those things on his car? Who would buy them?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #504
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 S580 Exec

Cliff note.... A large sponsor has been kicked on at least one major car forum. Story follows for those that might be interested but thats the gist of it.

Over on corvetteforum when the dealers started taking per-orders for the soon to be coming Z06 they (for the most part) took them at MSRP. Seems crappy to pay MSRP right but keep in mind that the Z hit at 65k that first year and demand was initially very high. All the forum dealers took deposits and agreed to deliver the cars in the order the per-orders were made as they received the allocation but one of them didn't. What they did was sell the pre-ordered cars they received to any buyer that called or showed up on the showroom floor who agreed to pay more than MSRP for one rather than sending them off to the folks that per-ordered them. The car was hot enough that this amounted to most of the cars they got.

As it went down on the forum there was first wonderment that everyone was getting their cars, one by one, but sthey were coming. Except for those at the dealership in question. Their answer was that they had pre orders from non forum people as well and they were in fact delivering them to everyone in the order that deposits were made. At first posts complaining about it were disappeared. Wasn't long before one of the guys with a single digit pre-order number started a thread asking only that people post their place in line so they could try and sort out what was going on, but no bitching about the dealer so as to keep the thread within forum guidelines. At this point things were starting to look hinky to anybody and the admin allowed the thread to stay and a list began to fill out. Now like everyone else regardless of the dealership they opted for they were told what their overall place in line was at that dealership when they made their deposit and it turned out the vast majority of the first fifty cars at this one were accounted for by forum members almost none of who had their cars. Things heated up then, locals were wandering by and counting the cars daily and it wasn't long before it was well proven.

As this went along the issue of running a forum where a sponsor was more than just being deceptive but out and out lying and well proven to be doing so became a rather well covered discussion. I don't recall action being immediate but it was not too far down the road an announcement was made and they were removed as a forum sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #505
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

How do you guys know that Vossen had anything removed? Maybe they reached an agreement with the poster to remove the post?

Just for the record. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm just saying...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #506
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
How do you guys know that Vossen had anything removed? Maybe they reached an agreement with the poster to remove the post?

Just for the record. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm just saying...
The threads were started by outside people and not someone who had bought wheels from them.
Appreciate 0