BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Boss 302 Laguna Seca

All, I just sold my second e90 M3 and bought a 2012 Mustang Boss Laguna Seca. I was tracking my M3 and was so sick and tired of pussy footing around the dealers to protect my warranty. With the Boss the dealer does track prep work on the car and pats me on the back on the way out and says they can't wait to here about my tracking, and if anything goes wrong they'll be there for me. Yes! I feel so f'ing liberated! Even if it Is a Ford. The Boss cost 40% less than the M3 and it is BETTER and more FUN on the track then the M3. It's not as good of a daily driver, but I am lucky to have another car for daily use. For now, Ford has got my number. But I will be watching the next gen M3/4 and M2 closely. Hopefully they make another great, and trackable car with a softer warranty program. I doubt it, but I hope so. Best.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 m3

I haven't read the M3 warranty, but I am assuming there are stipulations that void portions of the warranty if the car is utilized for racing purposes?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioPark
I haven't read the M3 warranty, but I am assuming there are stipulations that void portions of the warranty if the car is utilized for racing purposes?
Definitely. And a lot of dealers really do look for reasons to not service your car under warranty or void certain aspects of it if they suspect you've been tracking your car. Your race bred car. Crazy, but true.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

M3 warranty is only void if participating in competitive (timed) events. You're good to go for the odd HPDE, driving course, autocross (without competing), etc. Either way, don't claim warranty for brakes/clutch/fluids/tires/etc. But I mean if your engine goes at auto-x or BMW HPDE I'm quite sure that's a warranty item.

By the way, this is the same for the Boss. In fact, your warranty might get shortened if you use TracKey. I'm not saying it will or won't.. it's really just companies protecting themselves from abuse of their vehicles. There's a right and wrong way to track your car.
Attached Images

Last edited by stefan; 02-14-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
M3 warranty is only void if participating in competitive (timed) events. You're good to go for the odd HPDE, driving course, autocross (without competing), etc.
The point is, BMW says "track wear is not covered by warranty". And every dealer interprets this their own way. With the Boss 302 LS, Ford and it's dealers would be pissed if you didn't track the car, and they still honor the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest a move to the "M3 vs..." forum.

This started out with some points of debate and will no doubt continue in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Parts are relatively inexpensive compared to modding the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
The point is, BMW says "track wear is not covered by warranty". And every dealer interprets this their own way. With the Boss 302 LS, Ford and it's dealers would be pissed if you didn't track the car, and they still honor the warranty.
Track WEAR is very different from track MISHAPS. Pretty sure if you blow your engine at a non-competitive track event they won't say "Well that's just accelerated wear and tear induced by being on-track." That would still be a warranty item.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

From what I have seen of the Boss 302 out at the track it is far from being the ultimate trackday car.The Ford engineers that were with us at one event gave us the part #'s of the parts that required in order to make the car perform as it was intended including a larger rad & oil cooler and a few other tweaks.This was in response to a friend who has mildly done over 5.0 GT that pulls better than his Boss 302 does over 6500 after a lap or 2.The issue is the engines power being knocked back by mild overheating at the higher revs caused by insufficent cooling for the higher revs.He runs both his cars on 94 octane fuel.
My experiance with my M3 vs the Boss on track has not shown the Boss to have any more power than the M and getting by them has never been an issue for myself.Yes a great car for a lot less than a M but it is sure not a superior track day car regardless of what Ford & the media tried to tell us when the car was introduced.A lot of the quicker lap times were due to the stickier tires that are standard on the LS than on the M3
If you think Ford will be better to service this car when it is tracked,I think you are in for a rude awakening when you have a big repair issue.For normal items yes I am sure you will be treated well but wait till you have to deal with the field reps for approval.I have had lots of experiance with Ford over the years and there have been some very disappointed people who have had to dig deep to get on the road once again.Good thing Ford parts are fairly inexpensive!

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 02-14-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
That is very cool, BMW would lose their shirt if tracking was covered by warranty. I think the Boss 302 is producted in such low numbers, and relatively easy to put back together that it's not much of a cost exposure to encourage owners like you.

Hell, this post alone may sell a few more Boss 302s.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
From what I have seen of the Boss 302 out at the track it is far from being the ultimate trackday car.The Ford engineers that were with us at one event gave us the part #'s of the parts that required in order to make the car perform as it was intended including a larger rad & oil cooler and a few other tweaks.This was in response to a friend who has mildly done over 5.0 GT that pulls better than his Boss 302 does over 6500 after a lap or 2.The issue is the engines power being knocked back by mild overheating at the higher revs caused by insufficent cooling for the higher revs.He runs both his cars on 94 octane fuel.
My experiance with my M3 vs the Boss on track has not shown the Boss to have any more power than the M and getting by them has never been an issue for myself.Yes a great car for a lot less than a M but it is sure not a superior track day car regardless of what Ford & the media tried to tell us when the car was introduced.A lot of the quicker lap times were due to the stickier tires that are standard on the LS than on the M3
If you think Ford will be better to service this car when it is tracked,I think you are in for a rude awakening when you have a big repair issue.For normal items yes I am sure you will be treated well but wait till you have to deal with the field reps for approval.I have had lots of experiance with Ford over the years and there have been some very disappointed people who have had to dig deep to get on the road once again.Good thing Ford parts are fairly inexpensive!
True, there are heat issues on the boss, but they are easily fixed with a new more open front grill, cost: $161. I know this because I've visited the Boss Track Attack garage - this is where Ford services and preps 10 dedicated bosses for daily track work for track days they provide to new owners of the boss.

Also, I'm coming personally from the experience of tracking a e90 m3's, with mdct, for over 2.5 years. My first time to the same track in the Boss I matched my best m3 time ever, and I'm just getting used to manual, so there is more time to be had in the boss. Oh, and I have taken the sticky stock tires off my boss LS and have been running the same 180 treadwear tires, so I think its a pretty good indicator that the boss LS is probably a little faster. And the fun factor in the Boss, for me, is higher. And it's all cheaper too.

To the warranty, I asked every dealer in the area a bunch of "what if's." They just said they didn't care where it happened, on or off the track, as long as it wasn't an accident, they were going to honor the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

The 302 is a nice car but I'm definitely looking forward to reviews of the new GT500 with 650hp.

If the Camaro ZL1 did the ring in 7:41 what will the GT500 do....

First time I'm actually excited about American cars other than the Vette.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal
The 302 is a nice car but I'm definitely looking forward to reviews of the new GT500 with 650hp.

If the Camaro ZL1 did the ring in 7:41 what will the GT500 do....

First time I'm actually excited about American cars other than the Vette.
I concur. I think the ford GT500 is going to be a menace on the track, faster than the boss and much faster than the M3. I think we're witnessing a little renaissance in American built performance cars. I'm a track enthusiast on a budget. I don't care what the badge on the car is, I like good performance at a good value. The Boss 302 LS was enough to get me to switch from an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

torque rules at the track
      02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

[QUOTE=R A W L S;11346035]True, there are heat issues on the boss, but they are easily fixed with a new more open front grill, cost: $161. I know this because I've visited the Boss Track Attack garage - this is where Ford services and preps 10 dedicated bosses for daily track work for track days they provide to new owners of the boss.

Quote:
The Ford engineers whom were telling us the mods needed told us that the Rad like in the R's was needed to extract the full track capabilities of the car.

Quote:
To the warranty, I asked every dealer in the area a bunch of "what if's." They just said they didn't care where it happened, on or off the track, as long as it wasn't an accident, they were going to honor the warranty.
It is not the dealers that have the say on major repairs as that is usually done at the regional service office or higher.I am not saying the Boss 302 is a bad car but there is not a magic carpet ride in dealing with Ford service & warranty.In all the years that I have tracked BMW's I have never had issues with servicing or warranty repairs including some major components.I have had much greater problems in dealing with GM & Ford over the years on my non tracked everyday vehicles.I hope your experiances are much better than mine with North American vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Its important to have a rapport with your SA, mine doen't care that I track the car. I have not had to negotiate any serious issues though. I was at the track two weeks ago and there were several Boss 302, and thought they were pretty evenly matched with a possible edge to the Boss 302. All things being equal I would use my E90 as a DD and track the 302, but I have not driven a Boss 302. Yet....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Buh-bye!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Gearhead999s]
Quote:
True, there are heat issues on the boss, but they are easily fixed with a new more open front grill, cost: $161. I know this because I've visited the Boss Track Attack garage - this is where Ford services and preps 10 dedicated bosses for daily track work for track days they provide to new owners of the boss.

Quote:
The Ford engineers whom were telling us the mods needed told us that the Rad like in the R's was needed to extract the full track capabilities of the car.

Quote:
It is not the dealers that have the say on major repairs as that is usually done at the regional service office or higher.I am not saying the Boss 302 is a bad car but there is not a magic carpet ride in dealing with Ford service & warranty.In all the years that I have tracked BMW's I have never had issues with servicing or warranty repairs including some major components.I have had much greater problems in dealing with GM & Ford over the years on my non tracked everyday vehicles.I hope your experiances are much better than mine with North American vehicles.
With the Boss LS, things are different in regards to warranty work. Ford actually provides you a "Trackey" that essentially reflashes the ecu for better track performance. They installed a spliter on the front, etc. Granted some of the changes from the Trackey are gimmicky, but Ford is selling the Boss 302 LS as a track car. The dealer has told me they have word from the powers that be that tracking will not effect the Boss LS's warranty. It's such a good deal, on top of it all, I'm as fast or faster than I was in my m3! Sorry for my jubilation I just love the car for the money. I feel like I got a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #20
jtvr4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

If you're set on tracking a car, why didn't you pick up a slightly used z06? Far better than the Boss in every single way.

Good luck with chinese built transmission too. Most people I know are holding out for the 2013. Including my cousin, who works on them for a living.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...-transmission/
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4
If you're set on tracking a car, why didn't you pick up a slightly used z06? Far better than the Boss in every single way.

Good luck with chinese built transmission too. Most people I know are holding out for the 2013. Including my cousin, who works on them for a living.

Slightly used z06 would have cost a lot more than the new boss that COMES WITH a WARRANTY that LETS ME TRACK the car. How many times in one thread am I going to have to point this out as a main reason I bought the car and see value in it?

Oh, and I've heard all about the transmission issues on the boss. But it's nothing like how much complaining I've heard about the BMW transmissions, especially dct (insert link to one of hundreds of dct problem threads here).

I'm beginning to get a strange feeling that I'm not going to get a "congrats" on this thread. Just a bunch of guys trying to make themselves feel better about their position by knocking mine. That's cool I should have known better.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #22
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4 View Post

Absolutely. Z06 is a monster. Hell of a car.. only American car I'd buy.
Appreciate 0