BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #23
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I too want to read a full review + pictures of the Dinan spring kit. I assume it'll improve the handling/feel in all the modes compared to what I'm experiencing in my H&R's, which do not improve the feel in comfort, can't really tell if it's good or bad in normal, and improves the feel in sport.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #24
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Finally got my Dinan springs today after a 2-month wait. Will be installing 4/28 and will report back. I purposely went a fairly conservative route as my ar is a DD.

I ordered mine in early February and still haven't received them. Do you remember the date that you ordered yours? My dealer has been emailing Dinan every week or so and still no springs.

I'm going with Dinan for performance reasons and warranty preservation. Lowering CG is generally good for performance, but spring rate and match to the shock is equally and sometimes more important.

With unmatched springs for the application, there's not only a worry about the EDC electronics (probably not a big issue) and also premature failure of the shock tube itself.

Dave
      04-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

I have the Eibach springs.

1. How long have you had the setup (miles / years)? 300/1 week

2. Have you had any issues with the dealership and the associated warranty?

I haven't had to take it in yet. I avoid it at all costs since they scratched my hood during the 1250 mile service.

3. Do the springs improve performance both on the street and on track?

They feel better on the street, but I also changed tires at the same time. The understeer isn't quite as bad in hard cornering. I don't track the car.

4. Is the ride harsher?

I wouldn't describe it as more harsh, but it's slightly more firm. It has a more positive feel IMO.

5. Any problems as a result of the springs?

Not to this point, but it's only been a week
      04-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Dinan springs installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Let us know how it goes Greg / Dinan kit is the only one i have interest in
Springs were installed today. The few miles I drove showed it to be a very civil kit, and the ride height is noticeabley lower, though not over the top. No wierd noises, either. Here are before & after pics. I'll get more once I have my spacers installed next week.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
Islika153
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 coupe Space Grey

can only really tell its lowered by looking at back tire. front looks pretty much the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I guess it's the lighting or the camerra angle, but the two pictures look almost the same!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I guess it's the lighting or the camerra angle, but the two pictures look almost the same!
The lighting was different between the two. You can definitely see it in the rear, but not obvious in the front from the photos. I's about 1/2" both ends. I noticed it right away when I picked the car up.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #30
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Springs were installed today. The few miles I drove showed it to be a very civil kit, and the ride height is noticeabley lower, though not over the top. No wierd noises, either. Here are before & after pics. I'll get more once I have my spacers installed next week.
Wow the Dinans sit really high in the front. Not feeling it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Ride height w/ Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Wow the Dinans sit really high in the front. Not feeling it.
I'll get some better photos next week when I get my spacers. It definitely is lower in the front than stock. Sorry I forgot to take measurements before I switched. Someone out there with stock suspension and 19s want to measure fender lips to bottom inside lip of wheel?

I purpoosely took a conservative approach with this car--not for everyone, I admit.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #32
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Looks great to me. Can you tell if the handling improved? I understand that the spring rates are matched to the shocks. That, combined with the slightly lower CG should result in a nice improvement.

When you got it aligned, were you able to dial in a little more negative camber and, if so, how much?

Hopefully I'll have mine in by the week after next.

Dave
      04-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #33
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
I'll get some better photos next week when I get my spacers. It definitely is lower in the front than stock. Sorry I forgot to take measurements before I switched. Someone out there with stock suspension and 19s want to measure fender lips to bottom inside lip of wheel?

I purpoosely took a conservative approach with this car--not for everyone, I admit.
in my sticky there is another measurement you can do with stock dimensions included. that may be the most accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
When you got it aligned, were you able to dial in a little more negative camber and, if so, how much?
I think about 1.3 - 1.4 degrees negative is maximum w/o camber plates.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
I understand that the spring rates are matched to the shocks.
I wanted to test the springs and get the force/displacement data, but it seems like I won't be able to do that. (I'm going to WGI on Monday and the springs will show up at the shop on Friday and be installed with camber plates the same day). I suspect the Dinan springs will be slightly stiffer than stock though.
      04-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #36
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I wanted to test the springs and get the force/displacement data, but it seems like I won't be able to do that. (I'm going to WGI on Monday and the springs will show up at the shop on Friday and be installed with camber plates the same day). I suspect the Dinan springs will be slightly stiffer than stock though.
I wish that Dinan wouldn't be so coy about the exact changes in the springs. When I bought Eibachs for my E Street Prepared Mustang I had the choice of several spring rates. That was an autocross car so I went soft in back for traction and it worked like a charm. (On the track. On the street I quite often hit the hard bump stops and almost put my head through the roof). Knowing the rates vs. stock would help us to predict what's going to happen.

Which camber plates are you using? I'm assuming that I can get at least 1-degree of negative on the front from the stock mounting, so I'm going to stay stock, if that's true, since this won't be an "all out" AX or track car, just casual racing.

Dave
      04-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #37
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
I wish that Dinan wouldn't be so coy about the exact changes in the springs. When I bought Eibachs for my E Street Prepared Mustang I had the choice of several spring rates. That was an autocross car so I went soft in back for traction and it worked like a charm. (On the track. On the street I quite often hit the hard bump stops and almost put my head through the roof). Knowing the rates vs. stock would help us to predict what's going to happen.

Which camber plates are you using? I'm assuming that I can get at least 1-degree of negative on the front from the stock mounting, so I'm going to stay stock, if that's true, since this won't be an "all out" AX or track car, just casual racing.

Dave
they would never disclose those information because springs are easy and cheap to make, so if their spring rates were released knock-off springs will certainly kill their sales.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Are you sure that the front struts are all the way in into their strut mount sleeves? There is a guiding tab in the strut that needs to be aligned to the opening to the sleeve to allow the strut to be inserted all the way...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #39
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Dave
Dinan says their spring rates are indeed higher than stock, but yes they won't specify. I also wish they were more upfront with it. If someone really wants to copy them, they can buy a set and test them to find out so I am not sure what the point not providing the exact specs is exactly.

I'll go with the Dinan plates. They forged Al and will provide up to -2 degrees. I think that is a good setup for me given I don't want a full suspension swap at this point.
      04-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #40
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
they would never disclose those information because springs are easy and cheap to make, so if their spring rates were released knock-off springs will certainly kill their sales.

Spring rates are also easy to measure if you've got the equipment. Dinan has their replacement bump stops for the E9x M3s, which is copying and modifying BMW technology. That's about the only thing that makes them different. Ok, the less aggressive drop is unique to them and they've got a good rational for it.

Until I read this forum I didn't realize that such a high percentage dropped their cars for purely cosmetic reasons. I've always thought of it as a performance enhancement. I see that I'm in the minority here. Still, Dinan gives away the whole cosmetic-only market to the more aggressive looking drops.

Anyway, Dinan's approach for the M3 E9x is unique, but easily copied and no one is copying them. I don't think that publishing spring rates and offering alternative springs would hurt them at all, at least for the E9x.

Dave
      04-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #41
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
The effective spring rates are variable. I haven't looked at the Dinan springs but will assume that they may be rising rate as well. Since the bumpstops contribute significantly to the spring rates, publishing a spring rate may not be particularly helpful.
I think the most important take away when looking at the Dinan springs is that since they don't lower the car very much, the suspension geometry remains closer to optimum. The slightly higher spring rate helps out somewhat, but that is not something that can be easily quantified.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #42
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
The lighting was different between the two. You can definitely see it in the rear, but not obvious in the front from the photos. I's about 1/2" both ends. I noticed it right away when I picked the car up.
Very nice. I am considering this setup myself. Would you mind PM'ing me how much your spring and install cost? I got a quote from Dinan and it was STEEP. Also, are you satisfied with your setup now that you have had a few days to play around with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #43
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Very nice. I am considering this setup myself. Would you mind PM'ing me how much your spring and install cost? I got a quote from Dinan and it was STEEP. Also, are you satisfied with your setup now that you have had a few days to play around with it?
My dealer's quote to me was 1,000-bucks, including the alignment. That IS steep. If they charged for time I think it'd be half that. It's not that hard of a job with the right tools, which they have. I think that Dinan tries to steer profit to the dealers by having such high flat rates suggested. My dealer wouldn't budge on the install.

Make sure the alignment is included in any quote; otherwise, the job's not complete.

Dave
      04-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #44
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Spring installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Are you sure that the front struts are all the way in into their strut mount sleeves? There is a guiding tab in the strut that needs to be aligned to the opening to the sleeve to allow the strut to be inserted all the way...
Since I didn't do the installation, I don't know. Do you need to remove the struts from the mounts to install springs? I thought you could do it by just taking the top hat off? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...70&postcount=1

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-29-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0