BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

02-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #67
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
How about this one:

If the car is registered under Person A, can Person B go to pick it up in Germany without Person A being there?

I heard no, only the person who's name the car is under can pick it up.
That's the only thing holding me back now from doing ED.
      02-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #68
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
That's doing things on a budget. I spend 4200 to go to vegas for the weekend. Are going solo and not eating?
You sir, are a baller. Most folks around here appear to be able to pull off a decent trip via the savings.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #69
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
How about this one:

If the car is registered under Person A, can Person B go to pick it up in Germany without Person A being there?

The person who bought and paid for the car via stateside dealer and submitted their passport, has to be the one picking it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #70
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No. The minimum savings you get from ED on a M3 coupe would be $4200. Assuming you don't overpay for flights, you should be able to cover a week in Europe on that. I did, no problem.
That's doing things on a budget. I spend 4200 to go to vegas for the weekend. Are going solo and not eating?
Holy shiat!
I don't think I've spent over $4k on an overnight trip, ever, and I don't think I would.
I would put that money towards a second weekend/track car. Lol

Different people spend their money in different ways. Although I do agree that ED is a dream for an enthusiast.

Would you be able to lend me just a few thousand?
      02-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #71
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
How about this one:

The person who bought and paid for the car via stateside dealer and submitted their passport, has to be the one picking it up.
Well, there goes another answer to "why doesn't everyone do ED".

I priced out the vacation for 4 nights and it came out to $3k per person including gas for 1k miles at $12/gal.

Not bad at all.

Guess I have to live with PDC now.
      02-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #72
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I have to ask now. Why wouldn't you be the person on the buying paperwork if you're the one wanting to do ED?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #73
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp
How about this one:

Absolutely wrong. My car is under my fathers name for certain reasons and I went to Europe to pick up the car. It's completely allowable.
      02-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #74
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
How about this one:

I priced out the vacation for 4 nights and it came out to $3k per person including gas for 1k miles at $12/gal.

Not bad at all.

Guess I have to live with PDC now.
You can still go pick up the car. Like I mentioned before, my car is in my dad's name and the financing is in his name. I pay for it but the financing and car are in his name. I was the one that gave my passport to David Aviles and I was able to pick up the car with my wife. That was a question I had. The person purchasing the car doesn't have to be the one picking it up.
      02-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #75
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
You can still go pick up the car. Like I mentioned before, my car is in my dad's name and the financing is in his name. I pay for it but the financing and car are in his name. I was the one that gave my passport to David Aviles and I was able to pick up the car with my wife. That was a question I had. The person purchasing the car doesn't have to be the one picking it up.
I think the take-away here is: if you're trying to do the whole "different person buying/picking up" situation, you'd better check with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #76
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

I priced out the vacation for 4 nights and it came out to $3k per person
my point exactly if you take another person then your spend 6K, more than the savings. the 4200 for a weekend was a little of an exageration if you dont count gambling loss. im not a baller sorry just know i would spend a lot during a european vacation. i also purchased my car second hand and last i checked they dont allow ED for that.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow more info please.

Who signed for the car in Germany then? Was the paperwork signed before hand?

2 dealers told me that I would have to put it under my name to pick it up in Germany. That's why I'm confused. But obviously if you did it, it's doable.

My uncle will be purchasing the car for me and will be in his insurance. However, he will not be coming to Germany to pick up the car.
So what prep work did you do / or your dealer, to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
      02-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #78
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow more info please.

Who signed for the car in Germany then? Was the paperwork signed before hand?

2 dealers told me that I would have to put it under my name to pick it up in Germany. That's why I'm confused. But obviously if you did it, it's doable.

My uncle will be purchasing the car for me and will be in his insurance. However, he will not be coming to Germany to pick up the car.
So what prep work did you do / or your dealer, to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Speak to David Aviles (Eurocarsonline) here on the forum. All the paperwork is done here in the states so your uncle will sign everything here. Then you can go pick up the car in Germany.
      02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #79
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't spend that much money on the trip, but I was lucky enough to have enough points on my AMEX to get my flight and my wife's flight at no charge. One there, I stayed at Marriots or Radissons. Those weren't too pricey. My last night I stayed at the Kepinski which was a bit pricey. We did our own tours in the car to the castles and stuff. Did a hop on/hop off tour on Vienna that wasn't expensive. And we didn't have extravagant meals. Had a lot of beer though. It really wasn't that expensive. It was way less than the savings from doing ED, plus I got a vacation.
      02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #80
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Speak to David Aviles (Eurocarsonline) here on the forum. All the paperwork is done here in the states so your uncle will sign everything here. Then you can go pick up the car in Germany.
Awesome, thanks.
      02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #81
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
I didn't spend that much money on the trip, but I was lucky enough to have enough points on my AMEX to get my flight and my wife's flight at no charge. One there, I stayed at Marriots or Radissons. Those weren't too pricey. My last night I stayed at the Kepinski which was a bit pricey. We did our own tours in the car to the castles and stuff. Did a hop on/hop off tour on Vienna that wasn't expensive. And we didn't have extravagant meals. Had a lot of beer though. It really wasn't that expensive. It was way less than the savings from doing ED, plus I got a vacation.
If I ever buy a new BMW, doubtful, I will for sure do ED. I also wanna visit stutgart and see the porsche plant. Do they do ED as well?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #82
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sent him a PM.

Were you a co-signer or something? Was your name listed anywhere on the car pertaining to vehicle registration or insurance?

Spoke to my dealer again who's convinced they can't do that in my case.
He said he will call BMWNA to confirm on Monday.
I tired calling them but the ED Division was closed for the day.
      02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #83
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

We sure didn't save any money doing ED. But in fairness I brought my wife and two kids along and saving money was not on the list of things to do. Coolest things were driving passes (Grossglockner and Stelvio) and picking up at the Welt. Words fail to describe how awesome picking up a M3 at the Welt is. For a few hours I was the MAN ! I kept it a surprise from the kids till the very end and when they figured it out they were in awe. Another cool thing was to stand back and watch the German father/son's stop next to the car, point, look in the window, laugh, take pictures and just appreciate the car. For me, these are the reasons to do ED
Attached Images

Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #84
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My name was nowhere on the car registration or insurance. Speak to David. He'll tell you how it works.
      02-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #85
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Quote:
Sent him a PM.

Were you a co-signer or something? Was your name listed anywhere on the car pertaining to vehicle registration or insurance?

Hey Crisp! Thanks for the PM. I am traveling to CA for training (track time lol) on the new F30. Best way to reach me is cell since I have limited access to Internet. 202-262-2900.

You can definitely go pick up the vehicle. You need a valid passport. No need to wait for ED to come back to work. Call me. If I don't answer im on the plane. I'll call you back, just leave your number. Feel free to text too.

All the best,
David

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #86
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Sent him a PM.

I know there is a way....

On my 1st ED I helped out a gentleman who just picked up a car on behalf of his parents and had no idea where to drop it off & etc. He was living in Germany and just picked up the car to drop it off for his parents who were living in CA.

So don't give up :-)
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #87
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

a lot of cars are leased and it's a business expense for a lot of people. They want to get into a car immeidately and at times there are special incentives. The incentives do not apply to the ordered cars as it is too far out and incentives will expire by then.

yes, i see the point of saving, but I know a lot of people make more than 2.5k net a day. So for them to sit in tiny airplane ride to pick up a car makes no sense. I have done few ED and would do it again, but not all times you come out on top. That's all. It's business 101.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #88
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
not really. i bought 3 ED cars in the past and I never went to Germany to pick it up. I did power of Attorney and gave it to my parents to pick it up. Since they are retired, they have more time than I do. I paid for their vacation and they picked up the car.
Appreciate 0