BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Ignition malfunction & idrive reset while driving

So I was starting my car yesterday - it started - and then this message appeared on the display:

"Ignition malfunction

It may only be possible to start engine with brake or clutch pedal depressed. Please contact the nearest BMW center."

The car seems to be fine - It starts with no issues but since then this message keeps coming up even while driving every 10-20 mins. I don't get the message - I do have to press on the brake to start the car anyway.

Has anybody else seen this before? I called the dealer and I won't be able to take take it in until tomorrow.

BTW I got the idrive reset issue for the first time last Sunday while listening to mp3s. There was a very loud noise coming from the speakers for about 5 seconds and then the screen was reset and BMW was displayed as if I was just starting the car. It kept running fine!

Last edited by Stav; 06-27-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
BTW I got the idrive reset issue for the first time last Sunday while listening to mp3s. There was a very loud noise coming from the speakers for about 5 seconds and then the screen was reset and BMW was displayed as if I was just starting the car. It kept running fine!
I had a less severe variation of that, which consisted of a quick blast at full volume (daughter jumped out of the seat) while changing from CD to SAT and turning the volume down on the steering wheel at the same time. No iDrive 'reset' though.

This is the first time I hear about this. The other times have been people getting blasted when opening the trunk. This is getting interesting . I bet the system threw no codes, so dealer would only say 'can't duplicate' and do nothing. Please keep us posted. By the way, my car is 6/08 build date. How about yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
By the way, my car is 6/08 build date. How about yours?
It is a 10/08 but I think the idrive reset has happened to others too:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=reboot

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=reboot

I really don't know what to think about the ignition malfunction though. I am supposed to take it to the dealer tomorrow. I will also ask them to check a faulty seat belt arm on the driver's side that hands the seatbelt once every 10 times and sometimes comes half-way out and goes back in right away.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

I took the car to the dealer this morning and they will keep it overnight. It looks like they are waiting from BMW NA to tell them what the issue is and how to fix it (the ignition malfunction). They said that they will "reprogram" the car but have no idea yet what it is.

Who knows - maybe I will get a new software version with no DCT lag too!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

I picked up the car yesterday and they had to reprogram it. It turns out that they found a fault with DCT and CAS control modules. It looks like there is a PUMA case for this (I have the number if anybody can look it up). They also calibrated the steering angle sensor and DSC valves.

Now for the amazing part - the car feels different. I have only driven it for an hour when I picked it up but the lag in 2nd gear is almost not there anymore! I will drive it some more today and verify but I am almost certain that the lag is down to almost 1/5th from what it was before and as soon as you press the gas you can feel the DCT engaging the gear with a small knock.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
disakhanyan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530i

I Have the same issue on My car. Can You be a bit detailed what exactly they have reprogrammed??
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Original post was in 2009! You may want to summon the op, if he's still active on this forum.

@Stav , we summon thee!
Appreciate 0