BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

M3 body kits?

Are there any body kits currently available for the M3? I like the performance but think BMW really messed up on the styling...I'd like a better front and rear air dam, side skirts, and mirrors. I saw a photoshop someone made of a Flossman kit but I don't think that's available now. Is there anything around now to make this car better-looking?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
lnaesll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005Yamaha R6

u realy dont like this?

i would never even change that
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

I really dont, especially in white. It looks very feminine to me. I have an E46 M3 and just cannot get into the look of the E92. I think with better front and rear airdams it would look better. It's also missing a big thing which makes the E46 look so good...wider fender flares. I'm probably going with another Porsche unless I can find a nice body kit for the M3 that makes it look good. I wasnt even considering it until the new R&T came out...the numbers are better than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
I really dont, especially in white. It looks very feminine to me. I have an E46 M3 and just cannot get into the look of the E92. I think with better front and rear airdams it would look better. It's also missing a big thing which makes the E46 look so good...wider fender flares. I'm probably going with another Porsche unless I can find a nice body kit for the M3 that makes it look good. I wasnt even considering it until the new R&T came out...the numbers are better than I expected.
If you dislike the car's looks overall than go for the Porsche. I personally don't like the Porsche's looks (except for the really expensive ones)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
If you dislike the car's looks overall than go for the Porsche. I personally don't like the Porsche's looks (except for the really expensive ones)
Fair enough. I had been planning on doing that...almost dropped a deposit on a 997TT, but I'm going to hold out and see what happens on the M3 front. Obviously those are two very different cars, but I really prefer the layout of the M3 and if I'm going to get another Porsche I'm going to jump to the turbo. Going with the M3 would be a heck of a lot cheaper...doesn't give up a huge amount of performance but loses a lot in looks. I was impressed by the numbers and then I saw this body kit, which made me think there was hope. I want to like the M3, but I just cant get into the look. If it can be fixed, then I'll change my mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep

To each their own. The Pic you posted is horrendous, the worst I've seen. Talk about the king of rice. Blue lights in the visors wtf. Please get a porsche. I would hate to see the M3 violated in such a horrible way.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
To each their own. The Pic you posted is horrendous, the worst I've seen. Talk about the king of rice. Blue lights in the visors wtf. Please get a porsche. I would hate to see the M3 violated in such a horrible way.
Well I didn't even notice the blue lights...obviously those wouldn't be included, nor would the weird cutouts on the front bumper. Hard to say barf though, considering that the BMW M3 racecar will look very much like this. Ever see the E46 M3 PTG car? Of course, nothing so extreme fits on the street, but it would be nice to see something more aggressive looking in the vein of the 997TT or the GT3/RS. The M3 as is looks too plain and feminine, IMO.

Blah.

Last edited by TahoeM3; 01-02-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
lnaesll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

yeah that would be a deffinet nogo with a bmw. in my eyes...
ill give it 2
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Ok here are a few more you guys won't like then...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaesll View Post
yeah that would be a deffinet nogo with a bmw. in my eyes...
ill give it 2
You've heard of the M3 GTR, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Are there any body kits currently available for the M3? I like the performance but think BMW really messed up on the styling...I'd like a better front and rear air dam, side skirts, and mirrors. I saw a photoshop someone made of a Flossman kit but I don't think that's available now. Is there anything around now to make this car better-looking?
You my friend... are what statisticians refer to as an 'outlier'.
      01-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You've heard of the M3 GTR, right?
The e46 M3 GTR is a purpose built GT race car. Every fin, angle, and bulge on it is purpose built for downforce, speed, and air friction reduction. There is a clear difference between the e46 M3 and the e46 M3 GTR.

Which brings me to the next point that BMW's GTR car is not a M3 but rather a e90 sedan. Now obviously there is a e9X M3 GTR coming since that is one of the reasons for the production M3 to move up to a V8. But if the majority of poeple wanted those crazy fins, which for any type of street use are absolutely useless, then I'm sure they would have added them.

I'd imagine if you drove a M3 around that looked like the above picture then you would probably get a lot of looks from people wondering where the fire is your trying to get away from.
      01-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

There is a more aggressive M3, they're called CSL versions and they are the ones purposely meant for the enthusiasts now, not the standard M3. This is to sell to rich business people first and us second. If you don't think it looks aggressive enough, that's the reason. A businessman is not likely to roll up to the boadroom in a GT3 RS in orange, but a car enthusiast would.
      01-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
You my friend... are what statisticians refer to as an 'outlier'.
True...most people will prefer bland and safe, but most people I talk to (outside of E92 M3 fans on a specialized website like this) are lukewarm on the looks. I'm looking for something more extreme than what's available, but I was hoping for something as immediately beautiful as the E46 M3 was and I've been disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
The e46 M3 GTR is a purpose built GT race car. Every fin, angle, and bulge on it is purpose built for downforce, speed, and air friction reduction. There is a clear difference between the e46 M3 and the e46 M3 GTR.

Which brings me to the next point that BMW's GTR car is not a M3 but rather a e90 sedan. Now obviously there is a e9X M3 GTR coming since that is one of the reasons for the production M3 to move up to a V8. But if the majority of poeple wanted those crazy fins, which for any type of street use are absolutely useless, then I'm sure they would have added them.

I'd imagine if you drove a M3 around that looked like the above picture then you would probably get a lot of looks from people wondering where the fire is your trying to get away from.
You're right...no one would ever drive the GTR on the street...but I would drive the AMG black series which is a street car, yet is a lot more aggressive-looking than the M3. Of course, it's a limited-edition car for people with extreme tastes...the basic CLK appeals to the masses, as the M3 will. The PTG car was only posted to show that someone would do that to a BMW, not to suggest it is a streetable car. In the Porsche world, the GT3 and GT3 RS are very close to theie racecar counterparts...I'll have to wait to see what the CSL brings.

And yes the current GTR is based on the e90 sedan only because there was no M3 yet to base it on. Anyway, I guess BMW has gone too bland in the looks department for me...and the same could be said for the base 997...so I should stop trying to make it into something I want and just go for a 997TT, GT3, or something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
lnaesll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i do like the exaust on the side though... where can i get them lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Tahoe, it seems as if you want to change the basic aesthetic of the vehicle. Seems like a lot of work that would put you closer to a TT or a 997S with the Evoms supercharger, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
True...most people will prefer bland and safe, but most people I talk to (outside of E92 M3 fans on a specialized website like this) are lukewarm on the looks. I'm looking for something more extreme than what's available, but I was hoping for something as immediately beautiful as the E46 M3 was and I've been disappointed.
Hrmmm..

The Mercedes "Black series" looks too rice. It's ruins the flow of the proportions of the car.

Perhaps you need to see an M3 in person. To get a real feel of style.

Secondly,(not to be rude) it seems you looking for a car that says "Look at me" because of that horendous riced out photo you posted. If your not shopping the engineering of the car, then whats your criteria? Bling?

Please, please... buy the Porsche, don't rice out a new M3... it will give other motorists a bad impression of us BMW owners.

Less is more!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Hrmmm..

The Mercedes "Black series" looks too rice. It's ruins the flow of the proportions of the car.

Perhaps you need to see an M3 in person. To get a real feel of style.

Secondly,(not to be rude) it seems you looking for a car that says "Look at me" because of that horendous riced out photo you posted. If your not shopping the engineering of the car, then whats your criteria? Bling?

Please, please... buy the Porsche, don't rice out a new M3... it will give other motorists a bad impression of us BMW owners.

Less is more!
-Garrett

Ha ha ok...you guys are funny...you've got an excuse for everything. The M3 has nice performance, but it isn't the end-all be-all of cars. My criterion isnt bling...it's aesthetics. I want a car that looks as good as it drives...I don't care what other people think...just what I think. I think the standard CLK is very bland also...there's a reason most people consider it to be a girl's car. The black series, based on the F1 safety car, is much tougher-looking. But no worries...I saw a 997TT just a little bit ago and remembered why I wanted it in the first place...absolutely gorgeous! I'll keep my E46 M3 for now and when the PDK comes out in '09 I'll go with that.

Thanks!
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #20
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha ok...you guys are funny...you've got an excuse for everything. The M3 has nice performance, but it isn't the end-all be-all of cars. My criterion isn't bling...it's aesthetics. I want a car that looks as good as it drives...I don't care what other people think...just what I think. I think the standard CLK is very bland also...there's a reason most people consider it to be a girl's car. The black series, based on the F1 safety car, is much tougher-looking. But no worries...I saw a 997TT just a little bit ago and remembered why I wanted it in the first place...absolutely gorgeous! I'll keep my E46 M3 for now and when the PDK comes out in '09 I'll go with that.

Thanks!
Although I don;t share the same tastes in cars with you, I am glad to see someone who knows what they wasn't. I'm tired of all the post where people are asking the forum to decide what color combo to get. (this is not that same as some of you who merely ask for advice) Some people have become mindless Zombies, for independent thinkers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha ok...you guys are funny...you've got an excuse for everything. The M3 has nice performance, but it isn't the end-all be-all of cars. My criterion isnt bling...it's aesthetics. I want a car that looks as good as it drives...I don't care what other people think...just what I think. I think the standard CLK is very bland also...there's a reason most people consider it to be a girl's car. The black series, based on the F1 safety car, is much tougher-looking. But no worries...I saw a 997TT just a little bit ago and remembered why I wanted it in the first place...absolutely gorgeous! I'll keep my E46 M3 for now and when the PDK comes out in '09 I'll go with that.

Thanks!
To be honest, you don't fit the demographic BMW is targeting for the M3 anyways from what I've heard. Most M3 owners like it being understated and not overly flashy. It's small degree of difference in aesthetics from the normal 3-series is a traditional trait of the car. Just a very simple CLEAN looking car. While the Pshop M3 you posted above may be "cool", all those fins and vents are not clean looking. Clean is the future my friend!
      01-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, you don't fit the demographic BMW is targeting for the M3 anyways from what I've heard. Most M3 owners like it being understated and not overly flashy.
That may well be true...but it's a little ironic considering that I drive an M3. I just want the same tough looks with the E92 as with the E46, and it seems that BMW has really softened their look.

Quote:
It's small degree of difference in aesthetics from the normal 3-series is a traditional trait of the car. Just a very simple CLEAN looking car. While the Pshop M3 you posted above may be "cool", all those fins and vents are not clean looking. Clean is the future my friend!
Clean and modern is great...just not boring! They really softened up the look of the E92...it's not as tough...no fender flares...and a big smiling front air dam instead of the one on the E46 that looks like it is going to swallow up whatever is in its path. They've made it very "metro," if you know what I mean. This version is by far the most bland looking...earlier versions, dating back to the E30 were much wilder, IMO.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0