BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
zieglerc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Random observations after 700 miles

Spent almost all weekend driving after my Friday delivery in an effort to blow through the break-in as quickly as possible, and I've compiled a bunch of random thoughts about the car... thought I'd share:

- The M logo on the tach is the only thing in the cluster that isn't illuminated. IIRC, it was illuminated on the E46. Makes it look like a bit of an afterthought, but they may have done it to make the tach more readable and less distracting.

- As much as I hate to say it, EDC feels a little gimmicky... I can barely notice a difference between Comfort and Sport, let alone between Comfort and Normal. It's nice to have, but for those of you who didn't order it: don't worry, you're not missing much.

- After the glowing reviews I've read of the Enhanced sound system, I'm underwhelmed. The Logic 7 in my 335 honestly sounded richer across the spectrum. I'm going to have to give this one a few more days so I can keep fiddling with the EQ and let the speakers break in some more before I pass final judgement.

- The iDrive interface is *significantly* faster here than in the 335. Kudos to BMW on this... it eliminates my sole complaint with iDrive and really makes it much less painful to use.

- I think some people will find the clutch a bit light and long, but I think it's perfect. My dad used to have an A4 with a 6MT, and let me tell you, THAT was light and long. I find the M3's clutch easy to modulate, with enough feel to give you some tactile feedback when the plates are starting to catch.

- I'm delighted with my selection of Sparkling Graphite over FR with Carbon Leather. Word of warning, though: the CF totally blends in, which I was afraid of. Not the color to get if you want to show off the CF.

- BMW's definitely preserved the E46 M3's feeling of being just a little "raw" compared to the standard model. Hard to describe any better than that, but E46 M3 drivers will know what I mean.

- It probably depends on the area of the country you're in, but so far, it's been a sleeper for me. I've gotten one comment on it from a gas station attendant and that's it - not a lot of ogling. That could be good or bad, depending on your personality type.

Will write more as I get past 1,200mi...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
zieglerc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Oh, one more thing: I was pleased to see that my Nokia N95 pairs with the car's Bluetooth. I was never able to get any Nokia Nseries device paired to my 335, regardless of the car's or the phone's firmware version. Works like a champ now, except the address book doesn't load. I'll live.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Thanks. for people who are still undecided on what options to choose that is very helpfull. But there are not that many ways to skin the cat. If I want Mdrive and enhanced premium sound then I will have to take the technology package which already includes EDC and navigation system which I both don't want

My big dilemna though is 6MT or DCT. I read this very good article on DCT (link below) plus the BMW M3 official document on DCT and I now understand DCT has nothing to do with an automatic transmission (no shitty couple converter that ruins efficiency and planetary gearbox) but the dual clutch is a wet clutch with clutch packs not a dry clutch like in manual transmission. So I am not entirely convinced that I will like this. I know DCT will be more performant but if 6MT is more fun that's what I want. I think they should have made a dual clutch manual with the clutch pedal controling engagement of one clutch and disengagement of the other ! Any thought ?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the write up, I hope you will find more out about the enhanced sound because I heard so many good things about it. I don't want to be dissappointed as well.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
I think they should have made a dual clutch manual with the clutch pedal controling engagement of one clutch and disengagement of the other !
Are you serious? Would you have little buttons or levers to pre-select your next gear. Then would the clutching operation be accompanied by a lift of the gas plus a clutching with your foot but with no shifting?

This totally defeats the purpose. The purpose of the two clutches is the the "next" gear, whatever the transmission computer deems will be the next gear, is pre-selected. The requires two clutches. Next, computers and hydraulics are orders of magnitude faster than any human, if you let a human control any part of the process it would slow it way down and massively sacrifice the performance. Think about it some more!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

thanks for your thoughts
      04-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I wish I could get Mdrive and not EDC...oh well

Jason
      04-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
oneginee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Are you serious? Would you have little buttons or levers to pre-select your next gear. Then would the clutching operation be accompanied by a lift of the gas plus a clutching with your foot but with no shifting?

This totally defeats the purpose. The purpose of the two clutches is the the "next" gear, whatever the transmission computer deems will be the next gear, is pre-selected. The requires two clutches. Next, computers and hydraulics are orders of magnitude faster than any human, if you let a human control any part of the process it would slow it way down and massively sacrifice the performance. Think about it some more!
I think the purpose of dual clutch is that the engine does not need to be put into idle when the synchronizers selects the next gear it is done in advance. Which means much better transfer of torque when shifting (instead of temporarily no torque during a shift with a MT). One clutch for even gears and the other for odd gears. The two clutches are operated simultaneously disengaging one clutch and engaging the other. Hydraulic system + fuzzy logic does the work on the DCT and yes it will be faster than any man can ever do. But why not have the same dual clutch mechanics with one pedal that will command both clutches. Since there are now two variables (each clutch position) one pedal is not enough. Well yes and no. There could be one pedal + a button. Button is used for selecting up or down shift. Pedal would work as follow, let say at some point the pedal would control clutch1 disengaging it while electronic + hydraulic controls clutch2 engagement so as to limit power being transfered between the clutches. This is crucial since there is a limit obviously as to how much both clutches can be engaged together since they will have to slip which is how the couple gets transfered without idling. If this is not well controled they will literally destroy each other or rapidly wear each other out. So let's say as the pedal is pressed down at some point the hydraulic and electronic will switch the pedal control to clutch2 so that as you release it it will engage clutch2 while clutch1 is simultaneously and automatically disengaged. This way the driver keeps some control (and fun) over the couple transfer process instead of passively using binary paddles. Then there could be different settings to program how agressively the automated part is working like there currently is for DCT. Let's say you select an agressive setting then as you press down the pedal the automated clutch would start engaging earlier. I can guess your question will be: what happens if the pedal is pressed down continuously: once the automated clutch starts to engage as some point the pedal control gets automatically switched to the engaging clutch. at that point the driver should release the pedal if he does not then both clutch will idle to protect them (there will be a learning curve). Also there would be a protection if the driver presses down the pedal for too long beyond the point where each clutches are slipping.
So yes it would be a new way of driving a car something in between MT and fully automated DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
My big dilemna though is 6MT or DCT. I read this very good article on DCT (link below) plus the BMW M3 official document on DCT and I now understand DCT has nothing to do with an automatic transmission (no shitty couple converter that ruins efficiency and planetary gearbox) but the dual clutch is a wet clutch with clutch packs not a dry clutch like in manual transmission. So I am not entirely convinced that I will like this. I know DCT will be more performant but if 6MT is more fun that's what I want. I think they should have made a dual clutch manual with the clutch pedal controling engagement of one clutch and disengagement of the other ! Any thought ?
I believe the 6MT is a dual clutch transmission where the clutches work simultaneously. That's why the clutch action is so light.
      04-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Thanks for the words and look forward to hearing from you once you can push it harder.

I would think it would still get plenty of looks even being in a conservative color such as the sparkling graphite. Having the carbon fiber pop more as with lighter colors probably would get more notice. Bummer that the audio is not living up to expectations, it is a lot of dough.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I believe the 6MT is a dual clutch transmission where the clutches work simultaneously. That's why the clutch action is so light.
The 6MT has a single clutch with two plates.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
oneginee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
That could not have been the case or they would have had to do something like I explained which is a hybrid between MT and DCT and does not exist.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #13
Shareefo
Shogun
Rep
Drives: '08 Alpine White/Fox Red M3

Thanks for the post, so far I have 1090 mls within 4 days (not sure if that was a good idea, but what can you do...) One thing that bothers me is the small navigation screen on the right, I cant keep it from changing to that stupid arrow display. I want it to stay on the map (direction of travel).

I will also agree you with you on the premium sound, very unsatisfactory >.<
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
bobr2001
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11

wow! guess i'll pass on edc and prem sound. bummer but it just got a lot less expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
wow! guess i'll pass on edc and prem sound. bummer but it just got a lot less expensive
I would listen first before dropping, others have raved about its sound. I thought it sounded great. Very clean with plenty of punch. Listened to std in a 328 and does not compare. Might not be a big difference between premium and logic, but logic is not an option.

Last edited by par4bmw; 04-07-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
chompino
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Hmm, I guess it's just something that you have to check out for yourself. Since I have both a 330 with L7 and enhanced sound in the M3, I hear the difference everyday. To me the difference is very noticeable. I also feel a huge difference in EDC now. For the first couple weeks of ownership, I didn't feel anything. But now after 1400 miles, the difference in sport and comfort is night and day. Maybe it takes a while for the difference to show or maybe I am just getting to know my car better.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
I hate to disagree with you but I feel the Hi-End Audio is fantastic. It may not have the booming bass of aftermarket systems but it is very crisp and clear. I have listened to Logic7 and I feel it is somewhat better than it, not worse. I even feel a lot of difference in the EDC too.

But, I agree with the rest of what you said. Once you are past 1200, it's a totally different car. Believe me, I am there now.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

IMO likely BMW wants to sell the premium sound.. so they do not even offer the logic 7 what is the point of saying the logic 7 v Premium if they do not offer the L7?

BMW lowers the base stereo enough so it's not as good as L7 and so likely there is a bit of difference between base 10 speaker and premium 16 speaker.

I have heard the premium and it sounds fantastic, I can not say if it's worth $1900 but it's easier to get a stereo system fully warranty etc. than to chop the hell out of a new car in the hopes of doing better than the factory premium system and likely spend just as much or more on an aftermarket job.

BMW makes the premium sound only an option after you get the navi so in other words the premium (in general) will cost $1900 plus $3200 (technology). So BMW (US) is making the option list so it's more and more that people are spending closer to 70K than 60K.

BMW does things like having CA and MDM and M-button only part of the technology package.

I would likley live without the active shocks but the way BMW is making technology package almost essential also leads me to the premium sound, I mean now it's a $65K car so that's another $1900 like the cherry on top of a cake, it's not essential but you are spending big bucks might as well spend another $1900.
Appreciate 0