BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #199
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow, it is indeed amazing how polarizing this car is. I'm still leaning on the not so impressed side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
The more I think of this car, the more I feel the M engineers looked up this forum and came up with a fucntional, yet very crude design

1) Front spoiler - Too many out there to name, but I assume BMW's is CFD and/or wind tunnel tested.-- thats not a "front spoiler" its a racer splitter that actually does something and doesnt look cool.
2) Rear deck wing - watrob did it in 2008 and got flamed--did he put it on to look cool?
3) BBK - Brembo, StopTech, AP, you name it-- really after all the bitching about no shiney pretty calipers that usually dont help that much in the first place now BMW uses them and you want to say an off the shelf stoptech kit is the same quality.
4) Lighter wheels - I won't even start to name the suppliers--do you know who originally came up with that wheel design?
5) Adjustable coilover - KW, Moton...--any kw's on a street e9x have the same valving as they did on an e36 and e46. If you put motons on a street car you have way too much money to burn. the sachs susp bmw is using on this car has most likely been developed in conjunction with the Rahal team and #92 ALMS car. If you didnt know Sachs makes some amazing motorsport suspension systems.
6) Stroker engine - Dinan, RDSport...how long did RDSport put there engine on an engine dyno for and run the hell out of it?
7) Stripped interior - PG did it more than a year ago--good for him. BMW changed the center console, made a new carpet for the stripped back seat, made new door panels for the cage to fit thru among other things. Anybody can strip a car
8) Bucket seats - PG, Europeanautosource, many more...
9) TI exhaust - Ericsson, Akr...
I tend to agree with rldzhao and disagree with you and seriousm3. Surely the M engineers are not stealing forum ideas. The way to turn the standard car into something like this GTS is obvious and that approach will be close whether or not you are an M engineer or a DIY modder. The only parts of the car that offer any significant value over a modding approach are the splitter/wing and shocks/struts and that value is quite minimal. The aero components likely had some good CFD and track testing done, similarly on the shock valving - well vetted by top notch drivers on the track. Sure you can make the argument that the results of this effort by BMW is much greater than the sum of the parts but it simply isn't. There are no distinguishable synergies with the brakes, seats, exhaust, wheels, etc. You can build this car yourself and have it completely down to a knifes edge drivers race difference between yours and the GTS for WAY WAY WAY less money. Furthermore I know it is not all smply about money, it is about having the complete package from the factory, the color the prestige, perhaps a warranty, etc. However, one of my most important metrics is bang for the buck and here the car is not much to get too excited about.

I do realize the very hazy nature of NRing times but I'm darn curious where this car is going to end up. I suppose, despite being a quite underwhelmed by the car and announcement I should put my money where my mouth is and make a time prediction...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #200
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, it is indeed amazing how polarizing this car is. I'm still leaning on the not so impressed side.

I tend to agree with rldzhao and disagree with you and seriousm3. Surely the M engineers are not stealing forum ideas. The way to turn the standard car into something like this GTS is obvious and that approach will be close whether or not you are an M engineer or a DIY modder. The only parts of the car that offer any significant value over a modding approach are the splitter/wing and shocks/struts and that value is quite minimal. The aero components likely had some good CFD and track testing done, similarly on the shock valving - well vetted by top notch drivers on the track. Sure you can make the argument that the results of this effort by BMW is much greater than the sum of the parts but it simply isn't. There are no distinguishable synergies with the brakes, seats, exhaust, wheels, etc. You can build this car yourself and have it completely down to a knifes edge drivers race difference between yours and the GTS for WAY WAY WAY less money. Furthermore I know it is not all smply about money, it is about having the complete package from the factory, the color the prestige, perhaps a warranty, etc. However, one of my most important metrics is bang for the buck and here the car is not much to get too excited about.

I do realize the very hazy nature of NRing times but I'm darn curious where this car is going to end up. I suppose, despite being a quite underwhelmed by the car and announcement I should put my money where my mouth is and make a time prediction...
from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
At first, nothing excited me about the M3 GTS. But after reading this, I changed my mind. To me, this looks awesome. This information came by way of the AutoWeek article linked above.
Other changes include a larger carbon-fiber intake manifold, reworked throttle-body butterflies, a stiffer crankcase and revisions to the sump to provide more reliable oil scavenging at high cornering speeds. No specific output was revealed, but peak power is claimed to have increased by about 30 hp over the standard M3, taking it up to 450 hp and providing the M3 GTS with a power-to-weight ratio of 300 hp per ton.

The increased power is channeled through a beefed-up version of the M Division's seven-speed, dual-clutch Drivelogic transmission with remote shift paddles similar to those found on the standard M3. The Getrag-engineered unit is modified with ratios unique to the GTS, more resilient clutch plates and altered software mapping--all aimed at reducing shift times and providing even more aggressive action in manual mode.

The M3's electronic differential has been tweaked for greater lockup on overrun, while the dynamic stability control receives revised software mapping designed specifically for competition use.
still think it would be easy to make a normal M3 into a GTS?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #201
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
I'm still leaning on the not so impressed side.
I'm definitely on the not impressed side . With no creature comforts, who the heck would buy this car even if available here? It's basically a race car, with the corresponding price tag. Only a few multi-millionaire BMW fans IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #202
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I just looked at the US press page. Unfortunately, it states:

"Information from editor: *Information only; This model is not currently planned for the North American market"

Best regards,
south
If they build it - I will buy. So BMWNA, if you're montioring this thread - here's one customer in the US market....

BC
      11-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #203
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
If they build it - I will buy. So BMWNA, if you're montioring this thread - here's one customer in the US market....

BC
They're not listening Barry!
      11-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #204
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Seriously, it's ridiculous that they don't send it here. Is it really not worth their time?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #205
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Seriously, it's ridiculous that they don't send it here. Is it really not worth their time?
Blame the U.S. government. (DOT, NHTSA, EPA)

Their restrictive importing rules (and bureaucratic red tape), make it difficult for us to get these cars.
      11-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #206
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

Their restrictive importing rules (and bureaucratic red tape), make it difficult for us to get these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #207
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
They're not listening Barry!
I know but I'm still holding out hope....

I guess I could say f*ck it and go buy a GT3RS and call it a day....
      11-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #208
torres
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

2010 Bmw M3 Gts

Here's a small review of the 2010 BMW M3 GTS, including the original press release and some pictures of the coupe.

"The car is fitted with a 7-speed M dual clutch transmission with adapted shift characteristics. But an absolute highlight is to be found under the bonnet. Exclusively for the BMW M3 GTS, the engine builders of BMW M..."

Here's the whole article:
2010 BMW M3 GTS

And also the picture gallery:
2010 BMW M3 GTS pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #209
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
from the other thread:

still think it would be easy to make a normal M3 into a GTS?
They don't get it.

As more details about this car are released, like what you posted. Some people are going to look like idiots.

The fact that some think you can duplicate this car in your garage with bolt-ons, IS A COMPLETE JOKE.

Look at members KonigsTiger car, that is was is needed to run with the GTS around a track. That car is not cheap either.

Get real people. Let all the technical specs be released, before you look like complete fools.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #210
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
They don't get it.

As more details about this car are released, like what you posted. Some people are going to look like idiots.

The fact that some think you can duplicate this car in your garage with bolt-ons, IS A COMPLETE JOKE.

Look at members KonigsTiger car, that is was is needed to run with the GTS around a track. That car is not cheap either.

Get real people. Let all the technical specs be released, before you look like complete fools.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with making conclusions based on the available information at any given time. As the information evolves so will the opinions of those willing to remain objective.

That being said...
  • CF intake manifold: Who cares - mostly jewelry. It is the hp that matters and 450 is not a big bump, period.
  • Stiffer crankcase: Ho hum, might provide a smidge of reliability long term, maybe not
  • Inproved lubrication: The system is already track capable. Perhaps BMW decided it really HAD to have an improvement here. It certainly is not less weight nor more power
  • DCT mods: Sure altered ratios might be good for some real performance. Other than that the unit is brilliant as is
  • Diff mods: Yes, good, will provide an infinitesimal improvement in cornering
  • DSC remap: Almost for sure good for fun but not making the car faster

Indeed these things will make it more and more difficult to "reproduce" this car by modding. However, that is not the ultimate goal, being faster is the goal and that will still be something easily accomplished with run of the mill mods.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #211
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

We have the GT3 RS. Surely, BMW could get the car here if they wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #212
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Swamp,

Everything about this car is geared towards the track, that is everything apart from the engine.

Think about it. The brakes (finally proper multi piston units front and rear), the suspension (fully adjustable), wing and splitter (again fully adjustable), seats and seat beats (6 point), gearbox (shortened ratios for acceleration), all improvement for the track. But the engine, if this was to be a true racing engine for competition then the capacity would have dropped not increased, put more meat around the cylinder to allow for increased cooling and promote a higher rev limit, plus make it peakier. No what we have here is an engine that I bet any money is a superior road engine than the present M3 one.

P.S.
The DSC remap I think you will find that this will be a lot more use than the current MDM and will prove to be quicker, well for 90% of drivers.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #213
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Swamp,

Everything about this car is geared towards the track, that is everything apart from the engine.

Think about it. The brakes (finally proper multi piston units front and rear), the suspension (fully adjustable), wing and splitter (again fully adjustable), seats and seat beats (6 point), gearbox (shortened ratios for acceleration), all improvement for the track. But the engine, if this was to be a true racing engine for competition then the capacity would have dropped not increased, put more meat around the cylinder to allow for increased cooling and promote a higher rev limit, plus make it peakier. No what we have here is an engine that I bet any money is a superior road engine than the present M3 one.
uhhh no. just no.
      11-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #214
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
We have the GT3 RS. Surely, BMW could get the car here if they wanted.
I know what you're saying but the Porsche customer is different than the BMW customer. The M customer is a VERY small part of BMW's market... unfortunately. Then, they'd be going after an ever smaller share of the M market, unless you think they could actually pull from the GT3/GT3RS market?

Anyone know how many GT3-RS's Porsche sells a year? Or how many GT3's?

Anyone know if it'll have MDM since there's no iDrive?

Did they relocated the power steering pump away from the headers? Or will owner's still need to drain some fluid before going to the track?

Sorry if it's been answered, I've read most of this thread, but not all of it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 11-05-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #215
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with making conclusions based on the available information at any given time. As the information evolves so will the opinions of those willing to remain objective.

That being said...
  • CF intake manifold: Who cares - mostly jewelry. It is the hp that matters and 450 is not a big bump, period.
  • Stiffer crankcase: Ho hum, might provide a smidge of reliability long term, maybe not
  • Inproved lubrication: The system is already track capable. Perhaps BMW decided it really HAD to have an improvement here. It certainly is not less weight nor more power
  • DCT mods: Sure altered ratios might be good for some real performance. Other than that the unit is brilliant as is
  • Diff mods: Yes, good, will provide an infinitesimal improvement in cornering
  • DSC remap: Almost for sure good for fun but not making the car faster

Indeed these things will make it more and more difficult to "reproduce" this car by modding. However, that is not the ultimate goal, being faster is the goal and that will still be something easily accomplished with run of the mill mods.
I do not want to get into an argument with you, but if the displacement has been raised from 4.0l to 4.4l, do you really think the increase is a mere 36hp? Sounds to me like another case of a car with underrated power.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #216
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
I do not want to get into an argument with you, but if the displacement has been raised from 4.0l to 4.4l, do you really think the increase is a mere 36hp? Sounds to me like another case of a car with underrated power.
+1

it's definitely interesting to see the wording that BMW is choosing to describe the power output of this car:

"with a capacity of 4.4 litres and an output of some 450 bhp"

it would not surprise me in the least if this thing puts out more than that. not to forget seriousm3's point of overall hp gain throughout the rev range.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #217
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

$172.000...ughghgh

Hope they are not gonna try to sell it here in USA for that much while GT3 RS is listed $132k
      11-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #218
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

power = (420PS * 4.4) / 4 = 462PS

power/liter should at least stay the same for bragging purposes
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #219
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I bet I could take this car with an SC and more aggressive track setup....well at least its would be drivers

But in all seriousness tho I would be happy and way impressed if they not only change the steering pinion and feel and get rid of the electronic BS assist as well as give an upgrade to the power steering pump
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #220
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
$172.000...ughghgh

Hope they are not gonna try to sell it here in USA for that much while GT3 RS is listed $132k
No, it would not be that much in the US. But, most likely, we will never find out how much it would be, because BMWNA doesn't insist on getting the top product.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0