BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
dbacon
Private
17
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 Space Grey / Fox Red
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Westlake Village, CA

iTrader: (0)

Gas tips...

Since MPG is a pretty hot topic with our Ms...here are some pointers I came across...

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we
deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and
premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of
16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the
ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service s tations
have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground
the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so
buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a
gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the
temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and othe r
petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But
the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three
(3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping
on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you
are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping
on the fast rate, s ome other liquid that goes to your tank becomes
vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground
storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is
HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in
your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates
faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal
floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and
the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service
stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature
compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the
storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the
gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick
up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this
will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies
are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle
Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.................. 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil.................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco................... ..........62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18
BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel )

Here are some large companies, with several US gas stations each, that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
B P/Phillips......... ...0 barrels
Hess....................0 barrels
ARC0....................0 barrels

If you go to www.Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station
locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and
each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they
are importing.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
HeadOn
Private First Class
6
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [4.00]
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
72
Rep
1,972
Posts

Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three
(3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping
on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you
are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping
on the fast rate, s ome other liquid that goes to your tank becomes
vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground
storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
I got this fwd'd to me a while ago also so I tried this and it took FOREVER to fill up. I eventually said F it and squeezed it all the way. Time is money.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
2082
Rep
16,766
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Important Info regarding these "tips":

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/p/pumping-gas.htm
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
CatchM3
Major
CatchM3's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
1,218
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Mineral Grey
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boca Raton

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [4.50]
Great tips! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
kevinD
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 04 evo 8
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: irving, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Since MPG is a pretty hot topic with our Ms...here are some pointers I came across...

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we
deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and
premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of
16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the
ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service s tations
have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground
the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so
buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a
gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the
temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and othe r
petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But
the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three
(3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping
on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you
are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping
on the fast rate, s ome other liquid that goes to your tank becomes
vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground
storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is
HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in
your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates
faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal
floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and
the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service
stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature
compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the
storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the
gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick
up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this
will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies
are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle
Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.................. 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil.................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco................... ..........62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18
BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel )

Here are some large companies, with several US gas stations each, that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
B P/Phillips......... ...0 barrels
Hess....................0 barrels
ARC0....................0 barrels

If you go to www.Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station
locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and
each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they
are importing.
this is silly. fill up when you are half empty to reduce the amount of air in the tank? gas tanks are sealed containers. even if the gas evaporates, its still going to be in the tank as gas vapor. plus, driving around with 8 extra gallons of gas in weight is far less efficient then running it to empty. not to mention the fact the you need to fill up twice as often.

another thing. gas station tanks are held underground. the ground is an excellent insulator... and for that very reason people use underground piping with water pumps to keep houses temperatures regulated at a constant year round temperature. the gas in the tanks isn't going to fluctuate temp enough from day or night to make any difference at all. maybe if you pump it extremely slow where once it gets in the hose it is warming up, but even then i believe the pump measures the fuel before the hose, not at the nozzle.


if you want to make an effort to get better gas mileage, use the tried and true methods.

1. keep the car light. remove any excess crap you may have in the car that you don't need.

2. keep tires inflated properly

3. drive as smooth as possible. anytime you blip the throttle the ECU will go into accel enrichment and add fuel in anticipation of a hard acceleration. also, prolonged hard acceleration the car will transition to open loop fuel tables where the car runs more rich then at a steady pace where the car uses the o2 sensors for feedback in a closed look system (i.e. best fuel mileage). by being gentle with the throttle, smooth, slow accelerating you'll see far bigger gains in mpg then any of the above "tips" including my own. sure having 400 hp is fun, and obviously there is a time and a place to use all 400 of them, but on your way to work in traffic, or just driving around town, it is totally unnecessary to accelerate hard from a light, or to catch the car in front of you only to slow down and match speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three
(3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping
on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you
are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping
on the fast rate, s ome other liquid that goes to your tank becomes
vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground
storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
How much of a difference can this possibly make? Two or three drops worth of gasoline? What can that amount to in $? I'd rather spend my time driving that sitting at the gas station pumping in slow motion to save $0.01 if I'm lucky
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
it is totally unnecessary to accelerate hard from a light, or to catch the car in front of you only to slow down and match speed.
Got nothing to do with necessity.... It's fun, that's why I bought a 414hp car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
kevinD
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 04 evo 8
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: irving, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Got nothing to do with necessity.... It's fun, that's why I bought a 414hp car.


i know what you mean, i have a 600bhp (500awhp) car but i still get 23-24mpg. i know the time and the place to use the power, like putting to shame the cls55 amg v8 kompressor this morning. i guess i'm just used to the power now, first 2 years i got 15-18mpg. then i didn't need to hit the throttle all the time because i still got to where i was going in the same amount of time (traffic and lights ).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

I'm not trying to get anywhere faster, I'm just having fun on the ride there.... Who knows, maybe one day I'll grow up, but I don't see that happening anytime soon
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
eluder
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: m
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: home

iTrader: (0)

These "tips" are of course, bullshit. Thankfully the OP pasted the excerpt without quotes or anything, so you think he's typing it (at least I did). Sweet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
asif163
Captain
asif163's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
702
Posts

Drives: '11 M3, '14 Range Rover Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to asif163 Send a message via MSN to asif163
Check out the hoax website that someone posted...all false info here.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 / Acquired: 11.08.2010
2014 Range Rover Sport / Acquired: 06.08.2013
Retired: 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
TheBry
Major
TheBry's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
I got this fwd'd to me a while ago also so I tried this and it took FOREVER to fill up. I eventually said F it and squeezed it all the way. Time is money.
__________________

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Leg
Captain
62
Rep
844
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

iTrader: (0)

Err, wtf is the difference between 'half full' and 'half empty'?
__________________

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Err, wtf is the difference between 'half full' and 'half empty'?
one's a pessimist the other's an optimist... not sure which one is which though
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST