BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Exclamation People with Challenge X-Pipe please help>>

So I started swapping the stock Section 1 with the Challenge Sport X-pipe. I noticed the stock Section 1 is all one piece. I was expecting it to be 2 pieces. My challenge sport X-Pipe did not come with any bolts or gaskets.

1) Where can I find the gasket that connects the two flanges in the Challenge Sport? For the bolts I am thinking 14 mm stainless from any hardware shop will do.

2) The gasket at the flange between the header and Section 1, can that be used with the challenge setup? The flanges are flat on the challenge pipes so not sure if that funky BMW gasket will work with it.

3) Also do I need to swap over the supports shown on the stock pipes? I have marked them with the green circles.

Thanks.
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Did you purchase used? If so, call challenge and get the bolts. But, aftermarket will work as well.

You will need all new gaskets. Order from Pelican parts or Turner Motorsport.

You do not need to swap the supports.
      06-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Did you purchase used? If so, call challenge and get the bolts. But, aftermarket will work as well.

You will need all new gaskets. Order from Pelican parts or Turner Motorsport.

You do not need to swap the supports.
Yes used. Thanks a lot. Have a link to the gaskets by any chance? I searched Turner's website but all I see is the hangers and the sealing compound.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Go to realoem.com and look up the part numbers for the gaskets.
      06-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...45&hg=18&fg=10
      06-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

1) Make your own gasket with this
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Go to realoem.com and look up the part numbers for the gaskets.
Thanks. I already have those part #'s. I was asking about the gasket that goes between the pipe and the x-pipe on the challenge. It will not be the same gasket, more like a flange gasket.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
1) Make your own gasket with this
Thanks. Funny you mentioned that as I was headed to Home Depot to see if I could find a sheet

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks. I already have those part #'s. I was asking about the gasket that goes between the pipe and the x-pipe on the challenge. It will not be the same gasket, more like a flange gasket.
Here is a pic of when I installed mine new.

You can see the gaskets in the pic.

IMG_0029 by JMEllis, on Flickr
      06-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Here is a pic of when I installed mine new.

You can see the gaskets in the pic.

IMG_0029 by JMEllis, on Flickr
Yes. I bought it used so didn't come with it. Will get a generic one off Amazon.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Yeah just wanted you to see the style of gasket for reference. I believe they are identical, or very close to the ones behind the primary cats. I believe the ones advertised in the link may work.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...haust/ES26212/
      06-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah just wanted you to see the style of gasket for reference. I believe they are identical, or very close to the ones behind the primary cats. I believe the ones advertised in the link may work.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...haust/ES26212/
That does look like it. Wish they would mention the size. I measured and it is a 2.5" gasket.

Thanks for all the help.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

It's a universal exhaust gasket. The oem is one piece as well as many others. Challenge and some others are 2 piece for shipping and ease of install. But you have to use gaskets. Any auto parts store will/should have them.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

It's a universal 2 bolt flange 2.5". Also you don't need to swap the oem support. It's not even needed on the oem piece really and the catless piece is much lighter so def doesn't need it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
It's a universal exhaust gasket. The oem is one piece as well as many others. Challenge and some others are 2 piece for shipping and ease of install. But you have to use gaskets. Any auto parts store will/should have them.
Quote:
It's a universal 2 bolt flange 2.5". Also you don't need to swap the oem support. It's not even needed on the oem piece really and the catless piece is much lighter so def doesn't need it
Thanks. I already bought the gaskets from pep boys and the bolts from Home Depot. Just need to get the OEM gaskets for the front and I am done.

I noticed the flange coming down the header on the driver side is free and can be freely rotated or moved but the one on the passenger side seems to be fixed, welded in place.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I already bought the gaskets from pep boys and the bolts from Home Depot. Just need to get the OEM gaskets for the front and I am done.

I noticed the flange coming down the header on the driver side is free and can be freely rotated or moved but the one on the passenger side seems to be fixed, welded in place.

Yes that's normal the flange is supposed to move and when you tighten the bolts on the header to x pipe flange it pulls them together.

Look at the header flange gaskets. They may not need replacement unless they're damaged. They can be reused. If you're replacing them most dealers keep them in stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's normal the flange is supposed to move and when you tighten the bolts on the header to x pipe flange it pulls them together.

Look at the header flange gaskets. They may not need replacement unless they're damaged. They can be reused. If you're replacing them most dealers keep them in stock.
No what I was saying is that only the drivers side flange moves. The passenger side one seems to be fixed. Wasn't sure if it is just frozen or is supposed to be fixed? I am buying new gaskets. No point risking a leak and redoing all this work

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No what I was saying is that only the drivers side flange moves. The passenger side one seems to be fixed. Wasn't sure if it is just frozen or is supposed to be fixed? I am buying new gaskets. No point risking a leak and redoing all this work

Yeah that's what I was saying totally normal for the header flange to move free.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

The passenger side header flange is fixed. The driver's side is loose and unattached to the header. Contrary to what S85 says, the header to x pipe gaskets are supposed to be single use only. You should use new ones anytime you disconnect the pipe. They get crushed and deformed when you tighten the pipes together to take the appropriate shape. If you reuse them there is a risk of not having a good seal and ending up with a leak. They're not even expensive either.

Additionally, when you assemble everything and tighten all the bolts, make sure to put a jack under the x pipe on the driver's side and jack it up a bit. You want the flange to be as high up on the header as possible. The header pipe itself has a taper and is smaller near the end. If the flange is too far down on the header, even if it's tightened to the x pipe, it may still leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
The passenger side header flange is fixed. The driver's side is loose and unattached to the header. Contrary to what S85 says, the header to x pipe gaskets are supposed to be single use only. You should use new ones anytime you disconnect the pipe. They get crushed and deformed when you tighten the pipes together to take the appropriate shape. If you reuse them there is a risk of not having a good seal and ending up with a leak. They're not even expensive either.

Additionally, when you assemble everything and tighten all the bolts, make sure to put a jack under the x pipe on the driver's side and jack it up a bit. You want the flange to be as high up on the header as possible. The header pipe itself has a taper and is smaller near the end. If the flange is too far down on the header, even if it's tightened to the x pipe, it may still leak.

I agree. I was trying to explain to S85 that one side is fixed but don't think he followed what I was saying. I agree on changing to new gaskets. Already got them. Also understand the taper you are talking about. The passenger side flange that is fixed is pretty far up the header pipe so a lot of the header pipe actually goes inside of the connecting pipe for the X-pipe. Will try to do the same for the drivers side.

Just to clarify something, the challenge X-pipe setup is 2 piece so when you say jack up the driver's side X-pipe you mean the pipe connecting to the header? Correct? The X-pipe itself is already bolted to the body and doesn't have any more room to move up

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #21
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Lol yes. Put a jack where the cat would normally be, right behind the flange. and jack up a bit so the flange ends up seated high on the header, or else it won't seal properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I was trying to explain to S85 that one side is fixed but don't think he followed what I was saying. I agree on changing to new gaskets. Already got them. Also understand the taper you are talking about. The passenger side flange that is fixed is pretty far up the header pipe so a lot of the header pipe actually goes inside of the connecting pipe for the X-pipe. Will try to do the same for the drivers side.

Just to clarify something, the challenge X-pipe setup is 2 piece so when you say jack up the driver's side X-pipe you mean the pipe connecting to the header? Correct? The X-pipe itself is already bolted to the body and doesn't have any more room to move up
Yes, I followed you and edited my second post.. I have changed about 50 x pipes on the e9x m3. I can put one together blind folded. And re: the gaskets, yes I guess replace them for peace of mind but @petros they are not one time use and can be reused many times as when they crush they take the form of the pipe going on. If the flange type is changed (i.e. running diff x pipe) than they may want to be changed to a fresh set.

edit: having the 2 piece section is nice as you don't have to struggle holding up the pipes as @petros said as it won't be as large and cumbersome to move around under the car. Unless you have help.

Last edited by s85e90; 06-16-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0