BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Cloning 1 TPMS sensor to original 3..huh?

In an attempt to make a long story short, see here for backstory:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17730560

Fast forward to today, I went to the dealer, and bought a new sensor. Its one of the HUF orange sensors, part number 6 856 227-04. Paid €65 for sensor and valve stem, Tire Rack charges $70 for both shipped to my APO box, so not bad for dealer prices (one of the perks of living in Germany where these cars are made I guess).

Anyways, asked the dealer if they could install the sensor in the wheel real quick (had it in the trunk of my other car) and they said no dice, too busy, maybe next week. So I went to ATU (local Pep Boys type store) and they said that they needed the whole car there, because the new sensor would have to be cloned to the other 3 or it would not work right. Oookay, so I went to the Hobby Shop on base (where they speak my language) and told them what the German guy said, and they said it is possible that it will work just by resetting the system and driving off as per normal procedure, but the entire system may need to be reset to adapt the new sensor (something along those lines?) which will cost me more money (how much "depends on what is involved, but it could be expensive" according to the Hobby Shop.

So, my question is, when I try to install this new sensor in my wheel, put my wheel back on the car, and reset my TPMS sensors, what should I expect? Is there any reason any extra coding, resetting, programming, or anything else besides the normal resetting in the car by pushing a button and driving away would be involved? If yes, then I will just take it to the dealer, otherwise I have an appointment next Friday on base to have them install the sensor and hope it resets itself with no warnings.

Options are:

A. Make appointment with dealer, get frustrated with language barrier, hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg just to install a sensor (pluses here are if there is any coding or other programming which needs to be done, they can do it, but again, I will be paying dealer prices)

or;

B. Take it to the Hobby Shop, have them install the sensor for $20-$30, and hope it resets. If it doesn't reset for some reason, I will have to take it to the dealer anyway and have them do whatever programming/coding needs to be done to get it to work, and pay more money in the long run.

I have honestly never heard of any extra cloning, resetting, programming or coding needed to replace an OEM TPMS sensor with an OEM TPMS sensor. It is the correct part per my VIN number, albeit a different manufacturer than my OEM sensors (HUF vs. BERU).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would think replacement sensors would work with just a reset. I have a bad one and my plan is to have a new one installed and just reset the tpms through idrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Put sensor in wheel and hit reset in your idrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
Put sensor in wheel and hit reset in your idrive.
If that is truly all that has to be done, I am not worried about it, and will just have the Hobby Shop install the sensor and be done with it. I was just afraid there would be more to it and I would end up having to take the car to the dealer regardless to have it coded for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

We already told you in other post what to do
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Not sure which post you are referring to. Care to elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
We already told you in other post what to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Not sure which post you are referring to. Care to elaborate?
The last two posts (posts 25 and 26) from your original thread you linked on post 1 tells you what he did and it worked.
The Hobby Shop must be a car tuning place. Here in the states, a hobby shop sells crafts so you had be confused for a quick second lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
The last two posts (posts 25 and 26) from your original thread you linked on post 1 tells you what he did and it worked.
The Hobby Shop must be a car tuning place. Here in the states, a hobby shop sells crafts so you had be confused for a quick second lol
I assume when he says "we already told you what to do" he was referring to the advice with getting my old sensor tested. i tried that. asked 4 diffent people at 2 different places (including the dealership) and they all said its not possible to test it. so i was forced to buy a new sensor, and here I am.

just to clarify, i wasnt really asking what to do. i know what i have to do. i have to get my new sensor installed. my point in making this thread was to see if anyone knew of any reason the new sensor wouldnt just link up with the car when I reset the TPMS after i get it installed.

By the way, the "Hobby Shop" is short for Auto Hobby Shop. its what the auto centers on Air Force Bases are called. they are a DIY place where you can rent a stall with a lift and use all their tools and equipment for whatever it is you need to do to your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

I would just go to the auto hobby shop, or take it to Jagger's in Landstuhl and Gerhardt will square you away for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

As long as you got the correct sensor for your model year, it is plug and play, put the sensor in the wheel, mount the tire, inflate all tires to your preferred psi, reset tpms system in idrive, enjoy car.
Appreciate 0