BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

07-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
SAMM3
M3 Enthusiast
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 White BMW M3

Question Question on DYI performance Steering Wheel, point me in the right direction pls

Hi Guys

looking for the install guide (DYI) for the standard performance steering wheel, the not-electric version. I have a DCT version.

I've seen one DYI but it has a whole lot about wiring for the wheel display and I don't need to bother with that.

I could just figure out which parts to exclude but would be good to see a guide for just the performance standard wheel.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Really easy. First and most important thing to do is to disconnect the (-) neg of the battery. Make sure it doesn't go back. I put a rag on top of the battery end. DO NOT again DO NOT close the trunk!!!!! Get off the air bag, get the steering wheel of, transfer the DCT paddles, reinstall wheel and airbag. Finally connect the neg. Sometimes airbag malfunctions will show up. Clear and pray. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
A lil more detail would be there's two slits which can easily be felt under the back of the steering wheel. Put a small screw driver straight in (no angle) it's tricky to find the right spot but it'll feel like pushing a screwdriver with no head. Sometimes it gets tight once you pop one side out but if you push in the popped side slightly while popping the other side it's easier. Unscrew the trim from the back of the wheel spokes(easier if your able to turn the wheel) After that take off the center nut (I don't remember what sizes you'll need so have many options available) then unplug the wires and the rest is pretty obvious. make absolute sure when you are disassembling the paddle housing units DO NOT lose the little ball bearing inside and be careful because sometimes there's no warning when it pops out. There should be no airbag malfunction lights if you make sure to reconnect the battery before turning the car on at all
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
SAMM3
M3 Enthusiast
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 White BMW M3

Thanks for the feedback guys
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
ddboy06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 m3

definitely removed neg on battery and do no close the trunk. I closed my trunk and had to get bmw assist to come out to get a lockout. Also had to clear the restraint system malfunction code since I didn't disconnect the neg on battery. Other than that, its an easy fix. There is a youtube video from eas.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

This video is on how to install paddles but the removal and re installation is the same

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0