BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Best Way to Get Racing License

I live in NJ and want to start doing open track days at the various courses around my area (E-town, Lime Rock, NJ Motorsports Park). Since it seems that you need some kind of license to participate in these events I would like some info about the best way to go about getting one. I have ruled out the E-town raceway school since alls that allows me to do is track days at that location only. I was looking at EMRA and their program and that seems to be the easiest way to go. E-town accepts that license and I would assume the other tracks do to? SCCA seems more geared towards actual racing than HPDE's? NASA seems a little hard to extract info out of the website. Any insite would be great.
      05-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You don't need a competition license to participate ni HPDEs. Some tracks have test and tune days for people holding competition licenses. Is that what you are referring to when say "open track days"? If so, why do you want to participate in test and tune days since you don't seem tio be interested in racing and can get access to the tracks through clubs like BMW CCA, NASA, SCCA, etc. via HPDEs?
      05-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

The local tracks around here you either have to take a one day course before you able out on the track or hold some sort of license. So instead on paying the money at each course for the school that is only good at that particular track I think it is a smarter decision to take a course with one of the organizations I listed above so I would be good to roll at any track. I didn't exactly mean I have no interest in racing because I do.
      05-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

You need to start with DE events. You can look through what events are in your area at www.motorsportreg.com. Start there, type in your zip code and sign up. You can run with most organizations offering DEs at your local tracks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You can drive on the tracks in your area with the clubs I mentioned by signing up for HPDEs even if you have absolutely no experience on any track. Getting a competition license will require you to demonstrate a certain level of experience and skill; most clubs will not let you go through their competition school otherwise.

Here is the NASA NE schedule. You can sign up online. Same applies to the other clubs I mentioned.

http://nasane.com/events.html

Next NASA event is LRP in June...