BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

2007 Volvo S60R drive review

Ok so my 330Ci was getting a headlight washer leak checked out today and the garage had a 2007 Volvo S60R with 64,000 miles for sale. The car was an automatic which isn't what I would pick of course but I thought it'd be interesting to compare the two because my car has 63,000 miles on it and is also a step.

My car: 2002 330Ci Sport Step w/63k
Theirs: 2007 S60R Step w/64k

Review: I have always loved the s60r and was excited to drive one again. I have driven a few over the years but not for a long time and never after owning a BMW. Keep in mind that I am NOT a BMW fan boi, there are plenty of BMW's I do not like and I have come from domestics and japanese cars as well. I am not biased.

Steering:

The steering was bad, it was very light and not even consistent when turning, notchy way too floggy for a car of its size.

Handling:

Understeery, it FEELS big (it isn't a huge car but good sized) and not very precise. I drove the car in all of the settings, comfort, sport and advanced and I could tell the difference between them and it is a nice feature. The car over bumps really showed its lack of fit and finish, there were so many creeks and chatter over bumps.

Brakes:

Nothing to complain about here, they were very good.

Power:

Definately faster and the get up and go was nice but it wasn't nice enough to accept the other trade offs to have it

Transmission:

In step mode it was laggy, more laggy than the BMW. It was not a very smooth shifting trans and it had many clunks and jerks, granted it is an auto and it won't be perfect but considering this is being compared to my car it was not as good even though it was 5 years newer.

Noise:

The exhaust note was confused, not in a good way. The sound was a cross between a 4 cyl 6cyl and 8cyl and none of the good note. The only good part about how it sounded was the spool. It just didn't sound healthy.

Seats:

Super comfy, recliner like in fact which was nice but for any kind of performance driving they sucked and did not age well, cracks and abrasions everywhere and the car is a 2007. It was very soft and thin material with next to zero lateral support.

Overall:

The car is a good car, just don't drive one back to back with a sport package BMW anything. I have driven over 100 high end or relitively scarce performance cars and this used to be one of my favorites for some reason but after owning my car it is no longer. My 330Ci is slower, but the steering is better, the chassis is a better balanced one, the seats are better and everything is just tighter and better built though the R brakes were very good. This to me is a prime example of when power just doesn't cut it even though they are very different cars, 4 to 2 doors, 5 Cyl Turbo 300hp to Straight 6 N/A 225hp, AWD to RWD etc. Believe me I wanted to love the S60R and figured it might even be a no brainer better car than my own, in fact I was reluctant to drive it thinking I might get back into my car and not like it anymore... Definately not the case. It is twice as old, and slower but without a doubt a better package more fun to drive car.
      12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Volvos are primarly FWD right? Had one back in 1996. That explains a lot for steering
      12-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Volvos are primarly FWD right? Had one back in 1996. That explains a lot for steering
Not sure about this one
      12-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
Not sure about this one
It's Haldex awd, but I'm unsure of the generation. It will be primarily fwd with the capacity to send power to the rear wheels when there's slip. Newer versions of Haldex run a fixed ratio of power to the rear wheels and can send more back, but early versions were fwd until there was any slip. The Audi TT and A3 and Golf AWD and Golf R also use Haldex, as well as the Mini Countryman AWD and a few other transverse engined cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

I have an 04 V70R and I'm a big fan as it was the only fast wagon I could find, and afford, at the time.

Wish we could get the 5 wagon in the States.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Great review
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

My grandfather has a 2012 S80. It's a luxury car and no sports sedan. The seats are super comfortable. The steering is light and isolated from the suspension. It firms up at speed or when going around turns. The suspension soaks up bumps without being harsh or floaty. It's the perfect highway cruiser. The voice interface is good and controls just about everything.

I'm guessing it's not too far from how the S60 felt. The interiors of Volvo's newer cars are almost identical. At least the control interfaces are.

Volvo's are great cars, but I can't see getting an S60 over a 3 series unless you value luxury over performance.
Appreciate 0