BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

11-01-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
Cthulhu
Rep
Drives: BMW 218D

BMW Australia quietly disallows ConnectedDrive services

The imminent (June 2024) retirement of the 3G network has caused an odd reaction from BMW Australia

instead of, you know, telling anyone or anything, they just quietly removed some services from the ConnectedDrive site.

I went to add Navigation to get a map update, no option available.

Confused, I contacted BMW, and received this email by way of reply:

Thank you for your e-mail dated 30.10.2023.

To enable map updates, a Feature Set Code (FSC) is required, as is a stable internet connection in the vehicle. Unfortunately, your vehicle will be affected by the imminent 3G network shutdown, resulting in the unavailability of the USB Map Update Service in the store.

These are the services currently "booked" in your vehicle:
Intelligent Emergency Call
Remote Services - (remote door lock, remote horn blow)
Teleservices
At this time, we regret to inform you that there are no hardware or software retrofit options available to upgrade your vehicle's telematics.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We truly appreciate your understanding in this situation.

The satisfaction of our customers with ConnectedDrive is of great importance to us; therefore, we kindly ask you to complete the survey:

I rang them and asked why the service was unavailable NOW, when the 3G network has over 6 months left. They have already restricted some services like RTTI to 6 months.

I received no reply, just an apology.

I then contacted my dealer, who DID NOT KNOW about this!

They are investigating options, she was surprised that the ConnectedDrive team indicated that the system had no upgrade path, as she was confident it does.

My suggestion to anyone affected, is to contact BMW, and let them know this is a very poor showing, yes, there is nothing BMW can do about the 3G network sunset, but the TOTAL lack of any form of communication, or to allow people to get one last update in before the 3G service ends is piss poor IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

My car had an upgrade which was to 4G, it worked a bit then stopped. Turned out they disabled it during the 3G shutdown.
Seems to be BMW using cellular as an excuse to dump the older cars from their servers. It’s not like it was free I was paying $200 a year for a service that hardly worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 11:58 PM   #3
Cthulhu
Rep
Drives: BMW 218D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv4fun View Post
My car had an upgrade which was to 4G, it worked a bit then stopped. Turned out they disabled it during the 3G shutdown.
Seems to be BMW using cellular as an excuse to dump the older cars from their servers. It’s not like it was free I was paying $200 a year for a service that hardly worked.
I can't seewhy BMW would want to stop earning 'free' money for these services, it'd be quite the cash cow.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
The imminent (June 2024) retirement of the 3G network has caused an odd reaction from BMW Australia

instead of, you know, telling anyone or anything, they just quietly removed some services from the ConnectedDrive site.

I went to add Navigation to get a map update, no option available.

Confused, I contacted BMW, and received this email by way of reply:

Thank you for your e-mail dated 30.10.2023.

To enable map updates, a Feature Set Code (FSC) is required, as is a stable internet connection in the vehicle. Unfortunately, your vehicle will be affected by the imminent 3G network shutdown, resulting in the unavailability of the USB Map Update Service in the store.

These are the services currently "booked" in your vehicle:
Intelligent Emergency Call
Remote Services - (remote door lock, remote horn blow)
Teleservices
At this time, we regret to inform you that there are no hardware or software retrofit options available to upgrade your vehicle's telematics.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We truly appreciate your understanding in this situation.

The satisfaction of our customers with ConnectedDrive is of great importance to us; therefore, we kindly ask you to complete the survey:

I rang them and asked why the service was unavailable NOW, when the 3G network has over 6 months left. They have already restricted some services like RTTI to 6 months.

I received no reply, just an apology.

I then contacted my dealer, who DID NOT KNOW about this!

They are investigating options, she was surprised that the [...]
Similar thing happened in the US. I didn't know until RTTS disappeared. BMWNA sent out a notice we'll after the fact.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:23 AM   #5
x5j83jn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
The default responses of BMW representatives regarding hardware and software solutions for 3G sunset are fundamentally wrong, since BMW does offer compatible 4G telematics units for most of impacted vehicles.

Replacing the 3G telematics unit by a compatible 4G telematics unit is possible and executed with success in US. See this post

Last edited by x5j83jn; 03-15-2024 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:40 AM   #6
BMWbiker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5j83jn View Post
The default responses of BMW representatives regarding hardware and software solutions for 3G sunset are fundamentally wrong, since BMW does offer compatible 4G telematics units for most of impacted vehicles.

Replacing the 3G telematics unit by a compatible 4G telematics unit is possible and executed with success in US. See this post
My previous U.S. F31 car had 3G. It was incompatible with the 4G telematics unit.

I discovered all of this when I went to turn on the online services that I had allowed to lapse during the COVID lockdown. (I put only a few hundred miles on my car in 2020.)

I was annoyed, needless to say.

My current car has 4G. I hope that history does not repeat itself when 4G goes the way of the dodo. BMW will be derelict if current cars don’t have some sort of upgrade path.