BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Another Engine Issue. #2

OK my issue number 2 is....

I drop my car recently in springs... When i drive it hard in the corner i hear a rubbing sound, sounds like a whining sound and goes up at a higher speed. The sound does not go away even if im driving in a straight line then stops after driving 1 mile or 2 in a straight line.. if i make a hard right again then starts again then goes away after driving in a straight line. I took the wheels out and cant see anything that is rubbing or dragging.... its weird cause the sound goes up if my RPM goes up but then goes away...

ok this is not another normal IDLE problem...

ok when i turn my wheel in full lock left or right while at park 6mt in neutral my RPM goes up by 200-300 and i hear a whistling sound... and my rad fan is still spinning even if my engine is totally off. for the last 3+ years i had never encountered this problem.

can anyone chime in if this is normal?

Last edited by Grail05; 09-06-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Sounds like it may be related to your power steering pump whining when on full lock. The fan running when you shut you engine off can happen if the temperature is high, but the two don't sound related (at least with the information you provided).

I'd check your PS fluid level to make sure it's not running low.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

My RPM goes up when I steer when parked as well. I didn't notice it until I added a catless exhaust but I think it was because of the increased noise with the rev increase. My Evo did the same thing. I think its normal. On the other hand, the whistling sound may be an issue.
      09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post

ok when i turn my wheel in full lock left or right while at park 6mt in neutral my RPM goes up by 200-300 and i hear a whistling sound... and my rad fan is still spinning even if my engine is totally off. for the last 3+ years i had never encountered this problem.

Two likely unrelated things. Normal for the power steering pump to make more noise on full lock, but as others suggested, check to make sure the fluid level is OK. If it's low, it can make this sound more pronounced.

As far as the fan staying on after turning the car off, this is normal. Depends on the environment/conditions.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:

I drop my car recently in springs... When i drive it hard in the corner i hear a rubbing sound, sounds like a whining sound and goes up at a higher speed. The sound does not go away even if im driving in a straight line then stops after driving 1 mile or 2 in a straight line.. if i make a hard right again then starts again then goes away after driving in a straight line. I took the wheels out and cant see anything that is rubbing or dragging.... its weird cause the sound goes up if my RPM goes up but then goes away...
?
Arent you beta testing Swifts?..What do they say?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

1. fan running after car is off is totally normal..

2. Turning wheel left or right while car is stationary will cause RPMs to fluctuate; again normal..DO NOT HOLD THE WHEEL AGAINST THE LOCK; this is a great way to burn out the pump.. you may be hearing the whining of the pump which is also normal (to an extent) if it's really audible have it looked at
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Arent you beta testing Swifts?..What do they say?
yes will be bringing it back soon. The only thing is that boggling my mind is that i cant find anything rubbing so assuming its not the lowering springs. specially when it sounds like a whining sound that goes with the RPM range....
      09-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
yes will be bringing it back soon. The only thing is that boggling my mind is that i cant find anything rubbing so assuming its not the lowering springs. specially when it sounds like a whining sound that goes with the RPM range....
Suspension setup is tricky..you gotta expect there is gonna be some fine tuning and tweaking..

It could be something in the upper mount itself, are you running camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Suspension setup is tricky..you gotta expect there is gonna be some fine tuning and tweaking..

It could be something in the upper mount itself, are you running camber plates?
oic... ill have them check it out... no camber plates.
      09-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
MarcuMcall
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'd check your PS fluid level to make sure it's not running low.
      09-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
fasternfaster
go fast or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance

i had a similar issue on my 335i. The dealer fixed it by tightening the struts that connect the firewall the the strut towers. Apparently one of the techs didnt torque them down enough after replacing a fuel and oil sensor.

Again i dont know why it would cause the noise but it definitely sounded like one of my accessories was about to die/fall off.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I had the same problem. The power steering fluid was low and on hard corners, the pump was sucking in air. After a bit of driving, the air would purge out of the system and the sound would go away.

Where the power steering fluid went? I have no clue. I've never had to touch the power steering fluid on any car.