BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

11-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Travelling to the USA w/British Passport and Permanent Residency questions

I know we are on a car forum guys but maybe some of you can help me out considering I can't find any solid information on the web, just a bunch of conflicting statements.

So here's the deal; I am from the UK (moved to YYC 3.5 years ago), I hold a British Passport AND a Canadian Permanent Residency card. I am traveling to the states, San Jose, CA, to be exact via LAND on Wednesday night/Thursday morning, could be either through Montana, Washington or Idaho (all locations have 24 hours service so we're still deciding on what route to take for scenery etc).

My question to the British passport holders in Canada or anyone who knows about this stuff, did you have to fill in the ESTA? If so, how did you get passed the flight # section when travelling by land? Also, do I need to fill an I-94W out before I get to the border or when I'm there? Do I even need to fill it out?

Thanks guys! Happy driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i will wait for an actual British person to chime in, but i believe the Canadian permanent residency is enough for admittance to the US. you don't need a flight number for a land border crossing.

are you going to visit Arkym/Pyspeed?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Not every Canadian Permanent Resident is allowed into the States. If you requie a visa to get to the States from your country, then you will also need one even if you are a Canadian Permanent Resident
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

A buddy of mine has a British Passport and has been in Canada as Landed Immigrant (I believe) for the past 30 years as he has been too lazy to get his Canadian Passport. When we cross the border by land, he is required to Check In with US Customs and state the nature of the trip. They give him a card (sorry dont know the number) and he is required to turn that back in to Canadian Customs when he returns across the border. Bit of a hassle but only takes about 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

I have just a Canadian PR, and usually I just drive through to the US without any paperwork. Sometimes they ask me to fill in I-94W (the white card), but it's necessary only if the purpose of your visit requires a visa (e.g., moving there for a long time or to work). If you are going just for a trip, I am pretty sure you only need to show up with your passport and have the address of where you are going in case they ask.

Oh, and do not forget to have your PR card to be able to get back to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
My question to the British passport holders in Canada or anyone who knows about this stuff, did you have to fill in the ESTA?
No, never.

Quote:
If so, how did you get passed the flight # section when travelling by land?
You simply do not fill in the flight information, an officer will be more than happy to let you know which portions will need to be filled in. For the address while in the United States, you enter the details of whichever hotel you will be staying in.

Quote:
Also, do I need to fill an I-94W out before I get to the border or when I'm there?
You will be asked to park your vehicle and go inside. An officer will have you fill out an I-94W form and will take fingerprint/retina scans. You will receive a 90 day visa waiver stapled to your British passport, they will also collect a $6.00USD fee.

Quote:
Do I even need to fill it out?
Yes as the bottom part of the card will be stapled to your passport authorising your permission to enter the country.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0