BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

01-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

NASA Great Lakes

I am thinking about attending a couple of days at Mid-Ohio & Beaverrun.The one thing that I notice is that the HPDE days are based on 4 20 minute sessions.That is not very much track time compared to what are events up here where we can usually get a minimum of 2 to 3.5 hours of actual track time per day.Mind you our entry fees tend to be higher but thats like little track time for our travelling time.Is this normal for US events?Are NASA events good events to attend?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

4 x 20-25 min sessions/day are common with NASA and BMW CCA HPDE events. I think the short track time is usually an artifact of the clubs trying to fit 4 HPDE groups + club races into the same 8 hour day. However, NASA usually offers non-HPDE open track time for advanced drivers--at least in my region. They usually schedule those on a Friday around here. That's much better value, so I try to make it to those. There are other regional clubs that operate on different schedules, but I think those vary by region, etc, so can't say much your area.

Also, if you will be running in the instructor group, NASA might let you run in the advanced group as well, so you can get more track time that way, but I guess that might also depend on the regional policies/practices.

Finally, the actual schedule ends up depending on demand/sign ups. In the less popular events, groups are often merged and you get more track time. When BMW CCA cancelled the competition school at WGI last Fall due to low participation, I didn't know about it until the last minute and was bummed out, but we ended up having several 45 minute sessions instead. It wasn't a substitute, but we got lots of track time.
      01-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
4 x 20-25 min sessions/day are common with NASA and BMW CCA HPDE events. I think the short track time is usually an artifact of the clubs trying to fit 4 HPDE groups + club races into the same 8 hour day. However, NASA usually offers non-HPDE open track time for advanced drivers--at least in my region. They usually schedule those on a Friday around here. That's much better value, so I try to make it to those. There are other regional clubs that operate on different schedules, but I think those vary by region, etc, so can't say much your area.

Also, if you will be running in the instructor group, NASA might let you run in the advanced group as well, so you can get more track time that way, but I guess that might also depend on the regional policies/practices.

Finally, the actual schedule ends up depending on demand/sign ups. In the less popular events, groups are often merged and you get more track time. When BMW CCA cancelled the competition school at WGI last Fall due to low participation, I didn't know about it until the last minute and was bummed out, but we ended up having several 45 minute sessions instead. It wasn't a substitute, but we got lots of track time.
I am looking at these days because I have some friends that are racing in NASA and it would be fun to go to a couple of events and be part of their fun loving group for a weekend.I just bought an trailer open trailer which will allow me to go a little further afield for trackdays than carrying all the crap in the M that I need to last through a few days at the track.I like the idea of the Fridays and maybe doing some instructing.It is going to be a fun year!

Here are a few pics of the trailer

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looks like a nice light Al trailer. How much does it weigh?
      01-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looks like a nice light Al trailer. How much does it weigh?
We think about 2300 lbs.It has 4 wheel hydraulic surge disc brakes.The rotors & calipers are off a 5.0 Mustang so it will be a good summertime trailer.I have some reconfiguring to do on it as it is under tired for the weight and the fenders will not allow a larger setup.I already have the tires but I need to find a proper fabricator to rebuild the fenders to suit.I will be towing with my F150 or maybe a new 2011 Super Duty with the new 6.7L with 750 ft lbs of torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wow, hydraulic brakes and Mustang rotor&calipers. That thing sure will stop on a dime compared to my trailer. What size tires are on it currently, and what size do you want to move to?

You must very well know that this puts you back on a track/race car trajectory. You can't have a nice trailer and not have a race car again!
      01-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Wow, hydraulic brakes and Mustang rotor&calipers. That thing sure will stop on a dime compared to my trailer. What size tires are on it currently, and what size do you want to move to?

You must very well know that this puts you back on a track/race car trajectory. You can't have a nice trailer and not have a race car again!
I am worried its going to stop faster than his truck!

I think he is battling the inner demons at the moment. He pretty much waffles everyday on the dedicated track car subject!

I just havent figured out how he is going to trailer my car for me and get his car to the track at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I just havent figured out how he is going to trailer my car for me and get his car to the track at the same time!
I think he is thinking about doing a double-decker on that thing. I heard rumors that he is looking at Brembo trailer kits--he's gonna need it!
      01-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
I think he is thinking about doing a double-decker on that thing. I heard rumors that he is looking at Brembo trailer kits--he's gonna need it!
I wouldn't put it past him! Maybe that's why I haven't heard from him today, must be busy on the phone!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I have towed a lot with surge brakes on boat trailers and with the setup posted below,it stopped phenomially well behind my 3/4 ton Suburban that had upgraded brakes.The nice thing about surge brakes is that they work great as long as the tow vehicle is stopping ie;dry pavement not ice.I think there are 225/60 RE71R's on it now and I am putting a proper 225/75 -15 trailer tire on it.At one time we did need R compounds on our trailers,but thankfully those days are long past us

Yes a race car could be in the cards for the future but not now.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 01-08-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I wouldn't put it past him! Maybe that's why I haven't heard from him today, must be busy on the phone!
No actually busy at work and texting one of my customers who was testing at Daytona today.And that was`actually about business
Appreciate 0