BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #67
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
I started this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post5349918 a few weeks ago, plenty of information there.
Threads are merged now.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #68
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Thanks South, seems like I didn't search well enough... I will try and do the tint protector as well. FWIW, I have 3M 30% on my car. Doesn't seem like film thickness makes any difference, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #69
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

2009 e92 with Formula One Pinnacle. I have scratches on both windows and hardly ever roll down the windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #70
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
This afternoon I decided to document the moleskin installation on my E92 M3. The instructions that came with the kit were pretty good. This is what you get...

I started off with my GF taking pictures of me removing the door panel. After I removed the doorpanel, I removed the strip. It wasn't easy because of this rubber seal that runs along the top side of the door. You kinda have to figure this part out. Basically, the rubber part on the side pops out and you lift on that side of strip to get it out of the door. The outer strip will have to come up part of the way to make room for this strip to come out. Here's a picture...

The instructions indicate that I would find a hard plastic piece on the strip. You're supposed to sand it down and then stick the moleskin on it. Well, guess what? There is no hard plastic part, it's all soft felt lined and nowhere to stick the moleskin. So all of this was a waste of time. The moleskin kit I did order specifically for an E92. Turns out at least that my 2008 M3 doesn't need it. Here's a picture of the felt lined strip...

I'm still not convinced that my tint is being scratched but I do know that it's leaving what looks like scratch marks on the tint but I can wipe them off. It's leaving some kind of a residue. Anyhow, hope that helps. Anyone in SoCal area need a moleskin kit for an E92???
So the e92 already has a felt strip but it is still streaking or scratching window tint? Did you notice a significant difference between the MoleSkin felt and the OEM felt? Just wondering if replacing the felt may provide better results.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #71
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaStick View Post
So the e92 already has a felt strip but it is still streaking or scratching window tint? Did you notice a significant difference between the MoleSkin felt and the OEM felt? Just wondering if replacing the felt may provide better results.
There is a slight difference. The OEM felt is lighter and thinner than the moleskin stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #72
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaStick View Post
They both felt more than soft enough to not scratch. The marks I am getting are streaks and not scratches. I hardly ever roll down my windows but when I do they appear from time to time. Not every time.
      06-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #73
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Tried getting my dealer to warranty replacement of the seals but no dice - said the dirt that got in the seals causing the scratches was my fault for driving in "dirty areas" with the windows down. Such BS...

Anybody know how to try and take this up with BMWNA? I know it has no chance but will call. I have the number, just wondering if anybody has had success getting them to look in to part flaws/problems like this. Probably not but... anybody?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #74
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Well you could try to play the "But the other kids get to...." card. My dealer not only installed the mole skin and had the tint replaced free of charge, they offered to reimburse me for the mole skin (29 dollars).

I would call BMWNA and talk to then, try to make the argument that it is a production flaw and that many owners are in the same boat as you, reference this thread if necessary.
      07-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #75
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Bikerboy. Good to hear that others have gotten this reimbursed. May try it again at another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #76
RJD M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

For those of you still wondering if the tintprotector works for the e90, it does! I had my tint done the day I got the car (johnson, 20%) read to my horror about scratches so I ordered the tintprotector kit. It arrived two days later, installed it with the very good enclosed instructions and I have had NO scratches at all in all four windows. Taking off the door panels is the way to go, and its pretty easy just takes a little time to make sure that you do it right, and making sure that the rubber gaskets around the connecting brackets all make it back on prior to reinstallation.

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer-
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #77
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD M3 View Post
For those of you still wondering if the tintprotector works for the e90, it does! I had my tint done the day I got the car (johnson, 20%) read to my horror about scratches so I ordered the tintprotector kit. It arrived two days later, installed it with the very good enclosed instructions and I have had NO scratches at all in all four windows. Taking off the door panels is the way to go, and its pretty easy just takes a little time to make sure that you do it right, and making sure that the rubber gaskets around the connecting brackets all make it back on prior to reinstallation.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #78
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD M3 View Post

Thanks man. I'll be ordering the tint protector pretty soon also.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #79
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Ugh I'm having thus issue too on my 09 sedan. My tint shop has the moleskin that he can install for me, but hasn't seen the issue yet on any BMWs. I'll have to take a closer look to see if I want the tint redone or not..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #80
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Any updates?
      08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #81
Ben335
Captain
Rep

I have had the moleskin for about 2 months now and not one scratch. It does work.
      08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #82
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

Here is the link to Tint Protector.

Tint Protector Anti-Scratch Window Tint Kits made with moleskin felt.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #83
Synter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I took my 92 M3 in for my 1200 mile service a couple of days ago and I'm the windows down music up type of guy. So as soon and as I got home and rolled my windows I noticed this residue that a few people have mentioned. Being a mechanic for 10 plus years i figured that they just overgreased the window guides. Anybody else see this to be a feasible reason for the residue on the coupe windows? I do not have window tint yet but am looking to do so very soon. I just wonder if anybody else thinks the residue could be from regular maint of our vehicles?

I just took a quick peek at my window seals with the window rolled down and have found that both of the inside seals are very soft and of felt material. And i didnt have to take the door panel off to do so, i just stuck my pinkie finger down in there and felt both seals are felt, much softer than the outside seal. I believe that the residue, white lithium grease, or what ever product BMW uses is saturating this felt strip thus causing the residue streaks. It only left a streak in one spot where I could assume a window guide would be and after about five roll ups the residue didnt show up again. I will call BMW tommorow and see if they grease the windows as part of the reg maint so we can identify this mysterious "residue".

Justin

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577829
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #84
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I have had the moleskin for about 2 months now and not one scratch. It does work.
Good news on the scratches - but do you still get the infamous 'streaking' ??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #85
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

anyone that can help me install moleskin in the tri state ny area...maybe we can do both our cars together?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #86
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

i have a scratch on the driver side back window. are these covered by the tint installer? i just started noticing it. i'm not sure where it came from. it's towards the bottom.
      10-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #87
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I just wanted to report that I've had my moleskin on now for a couple of months. It works! No scratches!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #88
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Good news on the scratches - but do you still get the infamous 'streaking' ??
I have no streaking also.