BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #23
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Pfc 11 does better on rear
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I'm at the track now and I'm willing to bet there's nothing wrong with your rear brakes.
Here are my measurement with IR gun. All sessions DSC off.

Session 1 (cold out upper 30s)
Front Caliper (PFC Z-54) 245F. Front Rotor 260F
Rear Caliper (stock) 360F. Rear rotor 315

Session 2 (temp in upper 50s) and running a lot faster
Front caliper 355. Front Rotor 271
Rear Caliper 468. Rear rotor 430

Evidently though they are not doing as much work there must not be much air flow so they run really hot. That's just they way they are.

Last edited by VictorH; 03-16-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I'd suggest using the temperature stickers + paint, too. IR gun on a rotor face isn't hugely useful, as I understand it, due to the high reflectivity.

Last edited by dparm; 03-16-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Still well within the stock pad heat range, right? But since they do run hotter, maybe a different pad choice that would not be as near the end of its heat range and titanium shims to reduce fluid boiling and fresh high boiling temp brake fluid would help.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #27
VictorH
Major
Rep

Latest data outside temp 61F
DSC off, just off track didn't stop to check anything else.
More traffic this session so average speeds will be a bit slower

Right front caliper 280F. right front rotor 420F
Left front caliper 242F, left front rotor 425F

Rear (there's no doubt it runs hotter than front)
Right rear caliper 449F. right rear rotor 475F
Left rear caliper 430F, left rear rotor 474F

It's not just the IR gun temps (yes paint might be more accurate) but they are hotter, more clicking, popping (hear nothing from the fronts) and just holding you hand up to the rim, there's no question it's oven hot.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
VictorH
Major
Rep

I don't think stock rear pads would be happy at these temps, keep in mind this is after cool-down and driving in the paddock.
I'm on track pads all around.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #29
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I don't think stock rear pads would be happy at these temps, keep in mind this is after cool-down and driving in the paddock.
I'm on track pads all around.
Definitely not, plus, having a huge bias in pad performance like that front-to-rear is not going to help car control. Rear pad fade is not a scenario that will end well.

I would also be concerned about caliper longevity at temps like that.
      03-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Definitely not, plus, having a huge bias in pad performance like that front-to-rear is not going to help car control. Rear pad fade is not a scenario that will end well.

I would also be concerned about caliper longevity at temps like that.
True, but these temps are not through-and-through, it's a surface temp only. I changed my rear pads this afternoon and if the entire caliper was at 470F then my dust boots should be completely melted, but they are not, they still look okay.

There still is a question of what the overall mean temp is of the caliper and rotor is, however, there is no question the rears run hotter than the fronts, even with the electronic nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
True, but these temps are not through-and-through, it's a surface temp only. I changed my rear pads this afternoon and if the entire caliper was at 470F then my dust boots should be completely melted, but they are not, they still look okay.

There still is a question of what the overall mean temp is of the caliper and rotor is, however, there is no question the rears run hotter than the fronts, even with the electronic nannies off.
If you have the front pfc bbk and stock rear rotor then for sure your rear runs hotter than your front

On my e90 with the full bbk the rear is cooler. It is less efficient and singing the hair straight off my legs
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

By any chance, are your rear brakes starting to keep a rust ring around the inner diameter of the rotor?
I recently upgraded to a rear bbk to complete my ap kit.
My rears were starting to stick. I knew the dust boots had failed, but now the pistons were not releasing correctly and wouldn't allow the caliper to function properly. Obviously, I was getting some uneven pad wear.
My rear rotors were starting to take a dump with very small cracks extending from the center drilled holes.
      03-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #33
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I'd suggest using the temperature stickers + paint, too. IR gun on a rotor face isn't hugely useful, as I understand it, due to the high reflectivity.
Thank you!

IR Guns work under the same principle as IR Cameras. Measuring the temp of a rotor's surface is inaccurate as the emissitivity (an objects ability to emit radiant energy" is so low that the temperature your reading is the reflected temperature from the surrounding environment. You're better off reading temperature from the caliper or the rotor hat as it will provide a much more accurate reading. So many people use these so inaccurately.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      03-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #34
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Thank you!

IR Guns work under the same principle as IR Cameras. Measuring the temp of a rotor's surface is inaccurate as the emissitivity (an objects ability to emit radiant energy" is so low that the temperature your reading is the reflected temperature from the surrounding environment. You're better off reading temperature from the caliper or the rotor hat as it will provide a much more accurate reading. So many people use these so inaccurately.
That's true but the issue at question here is, "do the rear calipers and rotors run hotter than the fronts ( on the track)?" Based on my experience and the OP the answer is "yes." There's no question. You guys can argue the magnitude and accuracy but they do run hotter.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #35
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!

That's true but the issue at question here is, "do the rear calipers and rotors run hotter than the fronts ( on the track)?" Based on my experience and the OP the answer is "yes." There's no question. You guys can argue the magnitude and accuracy but they do run hotter.
I don't dispute your statement. I was merely commenting on a technical aspect of this discussion.

Carry on!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #36
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!

The guns aren't worthless, but you'll want to take readings from various points on the rotor and hub. The rotor isn't going to be uniformly heated, and the hub will be a different temperature. Just randomly pointing it at the rotor face doesn't tell you a lot. Same thing applies to using heat probes on tires.

The reason I like the caliper stickers is that it shows me what the peak temp was even after I've pulled off and cooled things down. Same thing for the rotor paint.
      03-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #37
VictorH
Major
Rep

What I'm wondering is what would be the fix to get more air in there?

I'm doing open track session early April and though I'm not inclined to run an hour, I might run 35-40 minutes and I suspect that the rears might be really cooking by then.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #38
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!

The guns aren't worthless, but you'll want to take readings from various points on the rotor and hub. The rotor isn't going to be uniformly heated, and the hub will be a different temperature. Just randomly pointing it at the rotor face doesn't tell you a lot. Same thing applies to using heat probes on tires.

The reason I like the caliper stickers is that it shows me what the peak temp was even after I've pulled off and cooled things down. Same thing for the rotor paint.
I'd recommend taking readings from the outside edge of the rotor. The face will give you inconsistent readings due to the polished face whereas the edge does not have the same type surface finish. Regardless of camera or gun, there is still value in using these items for temperature readings. It's the method in which it is done that is important. The two work in the same principle.

The video link is cool to see the different things going on. In the early part of the video, you can see that the rotor is reflecting the radiant energy of the environment, especially when the person walks past (acts like a mirror) As the rotor gets up to temperature, you can see that the edge is giving off a higher temperature through the camera. How can this be? Wouldn't the rotor face and the edge be the same temperature? Certainly they are, however the properties for giving off that radiant energy are different due to the finish and therefore the accuracy is going to vary greatly.

At any rate, I don't mean to take this thread off topic! Just trying to provide some additional input that some may find helpful.

Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      03-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #39
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
What I'm wondering is what would be the fix to get more air in there?

I'm doing open track session early April and though I'm not inclined to run an hour, I might run 35-40 minutes and I suspect that the rears might be really cooking by then.
you know what the fix is... PFC z45....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #40
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
you know what the fix is... PFC z45....
Yes, that's true and I'm sure it would be amazing, but I was hoping maybe something less than a 4-figure fix!
(I'm still tempted though).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #41
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that's true and I'm sure it would be amazing, but I was hoping maybe something less than a 4-figure fix!
(I'm still tempted though).
the problem is the damn rotor... the OEM rotor doesn't flow any air through it so it reaches the temperature of the sun!

With the full PFC BBK, front rotors/pads last 1/3 of the rears
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #42
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Step up to Formula 1 level technology and bring a leaf blower to cool your rotors between sessions.
Appreciate 1
im4ipsc39.00
      04-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #43
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

To echo FMLYSDN - FWIW - The IR guns are worthless on a rotor as the emissivity of a shiny metal surface is very low. They are not giving off accurate readings and are just giving the gun a reflection of surrounding temperatures. If you look into one of the drilled holes to use it as a thermal cavity, it should give you a better reading. I started working for Fluke developing thermal imagers not long ago and man have i learned a lot about how to read temps.

The only accurate way to get a temp reading from a rotor is a surface touch method (no not your fingers lol). You could potentially paint the outer rim of a rotor to get a reading, as the emissivity of a painted surface will give you an accurate reading. I would get yourself a nice thermocouple thermometer if you are doing off track temp readings.