BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #23
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
Not intentionally, of course, but several people have reported issues with Comfort Access and the trunk, and in fact the manufacturer's page warning about the problem itself says "if the trunk button does not react after the car has been sitting for a while, this is the reason why". I remain unconvinced there are no problems with the latest versions of the modules on certain vehicles without the dedicated power tap workaround (especially given the manufacturer told martinmartin "there is no hardware update that would solve the issue."). It would not surprise me if bypass mode did not eliminate the problem either, since the module remains powered acting as a "router", but I'll give it a try.

So can someone please verify that stock E93s with Comfort Access (and NO mods4cars modules installed) take several seconds and/or pulls on the trunk handle to unlock/open after leaving the car locked and untouched for, say, 1 hour or more?

If that is the case then it appears that my SmartTOP module (purchased from EAS in November) and vehicle (2011.5) do not conflict. Otherwise this is still a problem and I will have to run a dedicated power tap.
I do have a stock E93 (granted it's not a 2011 M3, but merely a 07 335i) and I generally don't have problems opening the trunk. Initially what I noticed is that when the keyfob is in my pants and I'm a couple steps away, sometimes when I try to open the trunk it just makes a clicking sound but the motor to open doesn't trigger. I figured out that it was a distance/RF issue (or perhaps the junk in my pants was blocking the signal - pun intended ). Now I always rotate my hip with the keyfob towards the trunk so it's only a few inches away. Using this method is opens 100% of the time without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #24
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchaniar View Post
I do have a stock E93 (granted it's not a 2011 M3, but merely a 07 335i) and I generally don't have problems opening the trunk. Initially what I noticed is that when the keyfob is in my pants and I'm a couple steps away, sometimes when I try to open the trunk it just makes a clicking sound but the motor to open doesn't trigger. I figured out that it was a distance/RF issue (or perhaps the junk in my pants was blocking the signal - pun intended ). Now I always rotate my hip with the keyfob towards the trunk so it's only a few inches away. Using this method is opens 100% of the time without any issues.
So normally it just takes one tug on the handle and the trunk immediately unlocks and opens?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
So normally it just takes one tug on the handle and the trunk immediately unlocks and opens?
I just place my hand underneath the trunk handle, hear the motor turn (unlocks) and I just pop it up with my fingertips. Works 100% of the time as long as the keyfob is close by. Not sure what you mean by tugging, I simply just place my hand underneath and touch.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
M&AGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Tom, I can confirm: I have a stock 2011 E93 M3 with comfort access. This replaced a 2008 E93 M3. Trunk access in both cars were/are funky, as if the electronic latch has a mind of her own. Sometimes I little squeeze and it pops right open. Other times a squeeze, another squeeze and then a big pull triggers it. Occasionally I have to pull out the key and push the trunk release button. But, today I discovered something: there seems to be no delay if I hold the fob in a hand, rather than stuffed somewhere in my pocket (or gym bag). Weird, I know, and kind of reminds me of the old solution for extending the remote range (by holding it next to your head!).
2008 E93 M3 (IB/G, 6MT, RPi exhaust, others... hit from behind and totaled); 2006 E46 M3C (CB/Cin, SMG, SuperSprint exhaust, others... retired); 2004 E46 M3C (CB/Cin, SMG, SuperSprint exhaust, others, spin out in rain and totaled); 2001 E46 M3C (SG/G, 6MT, retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
martinmartin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i7

Quote:
Would you be able to provide pics (DIY) of how/where you ran the tapped power wire from the front glovebox to the backseat? I have a 2007 335i E93 thinking of purchasing smarttop but first want to make sure I know how to install this thing correctly beforehand.

Also, I would imagine that for instructions 31-33 from the link you provided that you only want to tap the power (pin 3) only and not the other pins for ground and CAN Bus (those those be tapped from instructions 10-12 from the original instructions), can you confirm. I'm also assuming that you used the supplied T-taps to tap the wire from the glovebox and didn't have to purchase any extra accessories except for the 6' power wire.

Thanks.
The only pics i have are the ones posted on the first page of this thread.

I have smarttv, which is located behind the radio (not the backseat), so it's a pretty straight shot from the glovebox to the radio.

to answer your other question, yes, i only tapped power under the glovebox. i kept the ground as is (behind the radio) as indicated in the original smarttv directions.

i did have to buy a few extra things from radio shack to run the wire from the radio to the glovebox. though if you dont have anything installed already, then you can prob just use the stuff included - assuming the wire is long enough. i bought some butt connectors and t-taps from radioshack since i had already used the included stuff the first time around...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It would be much easier to take power off the battery directly for SmartTOP rather than route a wire to the glovebox.

FYI: Modules manufactured/sold after Sept 2010 do not require this.
I am still not convinced. According to the manufacture, ALL BMW smarttop modules (no exclusions for v2.0 listed) have battery draining issues for users with Comfort Access.http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...BATTERY/en.php

Can you provide any info/evidence that this issue of needing to tap into an uninterrupted power source has been resolved with the latest smarttop model?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I am still not convinced. According to the manufacture, ALL BMW smarttop modules (no exclusions for v2.0 listed) have battery draining issues for users with Comfort Access.http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...BATTERY/en.php

Can you provide any info/evidence that this issue of needing to tap into an uninterrupted power source has been resolved with the latest smarttop model?

Thanks.
My 2008 M3 Coupe also has Comfort Access, running both SmartTV & RemoteKEY (similar hardware) - I do not experience any battery drainage since tapping off PIN3 from the JBE module (constant +12V).

I would recommend contacting M4C directly at support@mods4cars.com if you should need further info other than what I've provided.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0