BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

06-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Router/DNS help

We have a Linksys RV042 router at work and I have recently updated the firmware on the router. Ever since then, every time we try to go to a website, it will fail to resolve the domain name at the first try. But if I hit refresh afterwards, it will resolve it in normal speed. I did do a hard reset after the firmware update. This is driving me nuts, plus I'm getting complains from everyone at work. please help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Reflash back to the previous firmware, if possible. If you don't need the fixes the new firmware provided, just stick to the firmware that works.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
or install DD-WRT, but only if you are sufficiently nerdy.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/RV042
      06-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
We have a Linksys RV042 router at work and I have recently updated the firmware on the router. Ever since then, every time we try to go to a website, it will fail to resolve the domain name at the first try. But if I hit refresh afterwards, it will resolve it in normal speed. I did do a hard reset after the firmware update. This is driving me nuts, plus I'm getting complains from everyone at work. please help!
Did the IP address of the router change?

Sometimes a hard reset does not work if power and all cables aren't removed before reset.
      06-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Did the IP address of the router change?

Sometimes a hard reset does not work if power and all cables aren't removed before reset.

The IP didn't change. I backed up the settings and restored it after the hard reset. I didn't remove any cables during the reset though. I didn't know the you could do a hard reset without power to it. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Reflash back to the previous firmware, if possible. If you don't need the fixes the new firmware provided, just stick to the firmware that works.
^this

If that doesn't work, try the hard reset, if that doesn't work...come back
      06-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Interesting..

Assuming your handoff is ethernet, you could plug the ISP connection into your laptop and see if you get the same issues. If not...well you've likely found your culprit.

You can also download wireshark and check the packets to figure out what's going on.

I'm with the other guys..unless there's a new feature I want or a bug that I'm trying to address, I like to stick with what works. That works on the large campus that I maintain and throughout my company.
      06-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman311 View Post
Interesting..

Assuming your handoff is ethernet, you could plug the ISP connection into your laptop and see if you get the same issues. If not...well you've likely found your culprit.

You can also download wireshark and check the packets to figure out what's going on.

I'm with the other guys..unless there's a new feature I want or a bug that I'm trying to address, I like to stick with what works. That works on the large campus that I maintain and throughout my company.
Well, the setup is a bit more complicated. It goes from cable modem > RV042 Router (use as gateway only) > Switch. Then there is a windows server connected to the switch as a file and DHCP server.

I'll revert the firmware back to the old one and see what happens. The newer firmware was supposed to fix a VPN connection issue we've had.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, the setup is a bit more complicated. It goes from cable modem > RV042 Router (use as gateway only) > Switch. Then there is a windows server connected to the switch as a file and DHCP server.

I'll revert the firmware back to the old one and see what happens. The newer firmware was supposed to fix a VPN connection issue we've had.
In that case it makes sense to keep the newer firmware.

I'd run an ipconfig /flushdns and try to hit the webpage again, and then try it via pinging an external hostname. If you run into issues each time you flush the local dns table, it could be that there's high latency from the ISP's DNS (assuming that's what you're using). If they gave you different DNS server IPs, it may be worth a try to use an alternate.

Is your DHCP server handing out the proper DNS server IP provided by your ISP? You could also try some public DNS servers.. google has some, but it's not good practice to send all your DNS requests to them.
      06-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'd run an ipconfig /flushdns and try to hit the webpage again, and then try it via pinging an external hostname. If you run into issues each time you flush the local dns table, it could be that there's high latency from the ISP's DNS (assuming that's what you're using). If they gave you different DNS server IPs, it may be worth a try to use an alternate.

Is your DHCP server handing out the proper DNS server IP provided by your ISP? You could also try some public DNS servers.. google has some, but it's not good practice to send all your DNS requests to them.
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Looks like google doesn't care if you use them.. Try it on your local machine and see if that helps. Read their SLA, terms, if you're ok with it.. update DHCP and have all the clients renew the lease to pickup the news IPs.
      06-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Looks like google doesn't care if you use them.. Try it on your local machine and see if that helps. Read their SLA, terms, if you're ok with it.. update DHCP and have all the clients renew the lease to pickup the news IPs.
I know I'm post-whoring now.. but I hope you aren't letting the average client be able to get out freely to the internet. Most, if not all traffic should be blocked and proxies, etc. be used to let the user traffic outside. Something to look into if you aren't doing it already for security.
      06-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know I'm post-whoring now.. but I hope you aren't letting the average client be able to get out freely to the internet. Most, if not all traffic should be blocked and proxies, etc. be used to let the user traffic outside. Something to look into if you aren't doing it already for security.
It's a small company - about 20 people at this branch. There's no internet policy here. Nothing is filtered or monitored. I don't set the policy either. I'm just a project manager with an outdated computer degree trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

I've tried 8.8.8.8 before on my machine and the problem is still there.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Tried the /flushdns thing, no change.

All the machines received the DNS without a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

I almost want to bring in my own cisco WRT54G router and temporary replace the RV042 and see if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Fixed. Flash it back to the original firmware. But now I still have a VPN issue.

Wasted two days of my time. Stupid Cisco.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Stupid Cisco.
Even though Cisco owns Linksys, Cisco does not make low end consumer products.

Erm.. let me rephrase that. Cisco does not put their name on low end consumer products
      06-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Fixed. Flash it back to the original firmware. But now I still have a VPN issue.

Wasted two days of my time. Stupid Cisco.

Advise Linksys of the issue you had with that version of firmware. Perhaps they'll fix it in the next release.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Even though Cisco owns Linksys, Cisco does not make low end consumer products.

Erm.. let me rephrase that. Cisco does not put their name on low end consumer products
I think that used to be the case. My $60 WRT54N has a Cisco logo dead center and a smaller linksys logo on the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Advise Linksys of the issue you had with that version of firmware. Perhaps they'll fix it in the next release.
Nah, they wasted enough of my time.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
ciscosmallbiz
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Router/DNS Help

Hi ipsum, We’re sorry to hear about your trouble with the RV042 router and the VPN. We understand your frustration and desire not to spend more time on this issue. Should you decide to pursue further troubleshooting, we encourage you to contact support at http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp <http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp> or check out the Small Business Support Community at http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport <http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport> for additional assistance. We have forwarded your experience onto our product team. Your feedback is helpful in improving future versions of the product.

Thank You,

Cisco Small Business Team
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Use a real firewall/VPN box
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0