BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #23
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
IMHO another hint that the EDC is a comfort option. Can't decide to order it if it's for comfort..

Best regards, south
You would expect EDC to be configured 'similarly' to PDC in the latest GT3, if that's true then the default setting will be as firm as a sports suspension would normally be, whilst the SPORT setting is even harder.

COMFORT would therefore be slightly more compliant than normal. That's how I imagine BMW would set it up, which would be similar to the way it works in the M5/M6.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #24
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
You would expect EDC to be configured 'similarly' to PDC in the latest GT3, if that's true then the default setting will be as firm as a sports suspension would normally be, whilst the SPORT setting is even harder.

COMFORT would therefore be slightly more compliant than normal. That's how I imagine BMW would set it up, which would be similar to the way it works in the M5/M6.
I don't know if I get you right, but if it was configured like the PASM in the GT3, then it's clearly a "sport option", yeah right. But I don't know if it's configured that way. The press release says the EDC can stiffen the dampers automatically when you're driving hard in NORMAL or COMFORT mode. Doesn't sound like two different sport settings...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #25
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

edc (electronic..) does sound like the car maybe constantly monitors your driving style and adjusts suspension automatically? rather than choosing, otherwise it would be called Manual dc?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #26
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
edc (electronic..) does sound like the car maybe constantly monitors your driving style and adjusts suspension automatically? rather than choosing, otherwise it would be called Manual dc?
But there's also CDC (Continious Damper Control), don't know if EDC=CDC in that case...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #27
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I don't know if I get you right, but if it was configured like the PASM in the GT3, then it's clearly a "sport option", yeah right. But I don't know if it's configured that way. The press release says the EDC can stiffen the dampers automatically when you're driving hard in NORMAL or COMFORT mode. Doesn't sound like two different sport settings...

Best regards, south

Yes, sorry. PASM not PDC, I'm getting my Porsche acronyms mixed up (despite doing a magazine test recently - doh!).

Anyway, I would expect EDC to behave as it does in most other sporting cars. the 'sport' setting is very sporty and is usually 'firmer' than a conventional spring/damper unit. Comfort is better suited for driving through rutted city streets. Most of the time it's better to just leave it in 'normal' mode, which will be similar in firmness to a non-EDC car using conventional static dampers. The differences between each mode are usually very narrow, but 'sport' is usually too firm for normal roads.

I should find out in the next 6-8 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #28
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, sorry. PASM not PDC, I'm getting my Porsche acronyms mixed up (despite doing a magazine test recently - doh!).

Anyway, I would expect EDC to behave as it does in most other sporting cars. the 'sport' setting is very sporty and is usually 'firmer' than a conventional spring/damper unit. Comfort is better suited for driving through rutted city streets. Most of the time it's better to just leave it in 'normal' mode, which will be similar in firmness to a non-EDC car using conventional static dampers. The differences between each mode are usually very narrow, but 'sport' is usually too firm for normal roads.

I should find out in the next 6-8 weeks.
In that case its no edc for me. Saves a few quid to include a few other bits.

My list:

Silver
Black Lth
Adaptive lights
Adaptive cruise
BT prep
pdc front
carbon leather interior
19's
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #29
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The Carbon Leather is nice, I have it in my Z4MC.

The order I placed with my dealer was originally Jerez Black with Fox Red, but since being reminded of Fox Red from those mule pictures, I don't like it. I am now turning back towards Interlagos Blue/Black.

You do realise that Silver is not available? You can either choose Silverstone or Space Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #30
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The Carbon Leather is nice, I have it in my Z4MC.

The order I placed with my dealer was originally Jerez Black with Fox Red, but since being reminded of Fox Red from those mule pictures, I don't like it. I am now turning back towards Interlagos Blue/Black.

You do realise that Silver is not available? You can either choose Silverstone or Space Grey.
What! no silver? F*ck. Silverstone is nice on M5 but i think it lacks something.

Ideally wanted what was on Alpines first PS 'unleash the beast'.

Interested in Jerez black but havent seen it yet. Whats it like?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #31
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What! no silver? F*ck. Silverstone is nice on M5 but i think it lacks something.

I am told Jerez Black is like the colour of used oil when spilled on the ground. The BMW press release talks about 'blue pearl highlights', so it sounds like a different version of Carbon Black.

Personally I don't really like Silverstone, it's neither fish nor fowl.

I am so tempted by Melbourne Red, even though it looks pretty poor in the press pictures, but I will probably play it safe with either a blue or grey/black.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #32
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
I am told Jerez Black is like the colour of used oil when spilled on the ground. The BMW press release talks about 'blue pearl highlights', so it sounds like a different version of Carbon Black.

Personally I don't really like Silverstone, it's neither fish nor fowl.

I am so tempted by Melbourne Red, even though it looks pretty poor in the press pictures, but I will probably play it safe with either a blue or grey/black.
I am disappointed that Carbon Black is not an option. Based on the color mix someone provided and the BMW "configurator" (yes I know, not accurate by any means), it appears that Jerez has a slight greenish tint. That kills it for me. I am leaning towards white or space.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #33
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If the Jerez Black has got a slight brown tinge to it (how i imagine spilled used engine oil to look) then its definately the one i want. Kind of really dark bronze.

Dealer said if you want any of the 'individual' options, it will add 6 weeks to you delivery date. Sounds a bit excessive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #34
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

According to the memo from BMW to the dealers last week there were supposed to be colour samples and swatches available this week. It might be worth popping back in to take a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

One option I do not understand AT ALL in this car is adaptive cruise control. Are e92 M3 owners really going to be so sloth as to not even adjust speeds themselves while on cruise control? I'm somewhat suprised that there is not an option to delete cruise control all together.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #36
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
One option I do not understand AT ALL in this car is adaptive cruise control. Are e92 M3 owners really going to be so sloth as to not even adjust speeds themselves while on cruise control? I'm somewhat suprised that there is not an option to delete cruise control all together.
Where did you see the option for adaptive cruise control? It isn't available on M cars as far as I am aware.

There is dynamic cruise control as standard, or adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #37
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Where did you see the option for adaptive cruise control? It isn't available on M cars as far as I am aware.

There is dynamic cruise control as standard, or adaptive headlights.
How does dynamic differ from adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #38
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

It would be moonstone (pearlesant white) for me and wait the six weeks, white enough to look different but won't effect residuals lilek white does in the UK.
£815 option on the 335i E92, so guess it will be the same?
I heard it was the extended leather that took the time when ordering individual, not the paint, anyone know??

If you work out the German, Netherlands, UK prices they all come to about that same once you subtract taxes and put your own countires back on again, in other words they may be vastly different just converting the on the road prices, but if you bought one from any other country and paid your local taxes they are all pretty much the same. Around a 20-25% increase over the E46.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #39
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:

Phoenix, I know here in the U.S. if you pay a little extra you can get any standard BMW color you want for your "M"........So if you want Silver than
go for it......... I would imagine the U.K. would be no different, especially considering you can also get "Individual" which we cannot.......
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #40
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I seem to recollect that you cannot order a car in Individual until sometime after it has been launched. Usually that means 1 year or so. By all means ask, but BMW in the UK usually delay the availability of the Individual programme and it's not available straightaway.

If you can choose Moonstone I can highly recommend it. A friend of mine had his M5 in Moonstone and it's like a mixture of white and silver - very special looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #41
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
How does dynamic differ from adaptive?
Dynamic is just a fancy name for a slightly more intelligent cruise control. It has a break function so it's more in control when going down a steep hill, and it arrives at the desired speeds in a "refined manner".

Adaptive cruise control is the one which uses a radar and keeps a pre-assigned distance from cars in front. Adaptive cruise control was not speccable on the M5 or M6, despite being available on the lower 5 and 6 series models, so I imagine it will be the same for the M3.

And as far as I'm concerned, cruise control is a useful tool for long journeys and in no way detracts from the performance orientated nature of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #42
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I seem to recollect that you cannot order a car in Individual until sometime after it has been launched. Usually that means 1 year or so. By all means ask, but BMW in the UK usually delay the availability of the Individual programme and it's not available straightaway.

If you can choose Moonstone I can highly recommend it. A friend of mine had his M5 in Moonstone and it's like a mixture of white and silver - very special looking.

I take it we are talking about Nomis' M5 with Moonstone, black leather and Piano Gloss trim? Stunning car!! :rocks:

There was a moonstone 3 touring at Geneva too, looked really nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #43
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I take it we are talking about Nomis' M5 with Moonstone, black leather and Piano Gloss trim? Stunning car!! :rocks:

There was a moonstone 3 touring at Geneva too, looked really nice.
Yes, that's right.

I found the picture I took when I visited him in my CSL. Moonstone is a lovely colour, even when dirty..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Lurvely!!!

Appreciate 0