BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 SY M3 DCT, 2020 X7

Moton Motorsport 3-way kit

I'm very tempted to replace the OEM EDC suspension with a Moton Motorsport 3-way kit. Anyone that has got any experience with this kit? And what spring rate should I go with for a car that is daily driven and with 6+ track days? I don't mind a firm ride, but not spine bendingly harsh.

After 16 k miles in the M3 I have noticed that I tend to use more and more the sport and sport+ settings. In sport+ the turn in is improved and I would like the car to drive this way with more compliance. I think the Moton 3-way kit may just do that.

The part number is: M 505 125 BMW E92 M3 Motorsport 3-way kit, including top mounts, alloy front strut, coilover rear and dry-breaks on all hoses.

Anyone care to comment? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90beemerfan View Post
I'm very tempted to replace the OEM EDC suspension with a Moton Motorsport 3-way kit. Anyone that has got any experience with this kit? And what spring rate should I go with for a car that is daily driven and with 6+ track days? I don't mind a firm ride, but not spine bendingly harsh.

After 16 k miles in the M3 I have noticed that I tend to use more and more the sport and sport+ settings. In sport+ the turn in is improved and I would like the car to drive this way with more compliance. I think the Moton 3-way kit may just do that.

The part number is: M 505 125 BMW E92 M3 Motorsport 3-way kit, including top mounts, alloy front strut, coilover rear and dry-breaks on all hoses.

Anyone care to comment? Thanks!
I understand Moton suspension is not the most popular suspension in the E92 M3 camp;-) Never mind, I had a pleasant talk with one of the sales representatives in AST Suspension in Holland this afternoon. Now I'm convinced and will go for the Moton 3 way motorsport pro kit. I'm expecting this to be the best mod I will do on this car. Time will tell.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

lol you have it the other way around moton is popular. Most of us just can't justify it! Moton 3 way will be the shit for sure, post pics and review!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

JRZ RS Pro's or MCS are the hot set up. Moton not so much here in N. America anymore...that I see anyway. They may be the bee's knees, but you'll need to set them up right. Are you able to do that? At least w/JRZ or MCS there's a lot of support out there and local track knowledge that can guide you w/o getting a lot of data or a PhD in suspension dynamics...

Good luck and let us know how they work out!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_s View Post
lol you have it the other way around moton is popular. Most of us just can't justify it! Moton 3 way will be the shit for sure, post pics and review!
Thank you for your response! I fully understand that most cannot justify the expense of such a kit on an old and GT like (heavy) car the E92 M3 is. Why not just buy an M4 (this would be a cheaper alternative for me) and call it a day? Unfortunately I just had to experience the S65 in the E92 M3 and now I cannot stop my self from exploiting the limits of this car. I enjoy it as a DD and will continue to do so for some years to come, if I don't kill the car on a track some place...

I will post pics and review as soon as the new kit is on the car:-)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
JRZ RS Pro's or MCS are the hot set up. Moton not so much here in N. America anymore...that I see anyway. They may be the bee's knees, but you'll need to set them up right. Are you able to do that? At least w/JRZ or MCS there's a lot of support out there and local track knowledge that can guide you w/o getting a lot of data or a PhD in suspension dynamics...

Good luck and let us know how they work out!
Thank you for comments! I have seen a few good reviews of the JRZ Pro and as far as I can see, this suspension is similar in functionality and design to the Moton 3 way. This would be a good alternative for me also, but the JRZ Pro kit would have to be shipped from the other side of the pond (to Norway). AST Suspension (Moton) is located closer to where I live (1100 miles south) and in the same time zone.

I've got a BMW third party spare part supplier with a good work shop not far away. I believe they will be able to assist setting up the suspension (alignment and adjustment). When I go to the Nordschleife I plan on using one of the workshops nearby the track to tune the suspension. Since I use the car as a daily driver I will have to learn how to adjust the suspension my self, but for alignment I will need a workshop to do it for me.

The roads I drive daily are of varied quality, but not many pot holes or anything. I think this type of suspension will make the car even more enjoyable on narrow country roads like I drive on most of the time. Time will tell.

With new suspension, new tires and hopefully a BBK kit, I will see progress on the Nordschleife and the local tracks in Norway. I only had one season behind me in the M3, so I don't have a great deal of references. Anyway, tuning the car more towards track duty is part of the fun. Hopefully I can contribute with some information to the forum on how the Moton 3-way kit works on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

If I hadn't committed to the E92 in 2014 when I went full retard on it I probably would have gotten a bare bones F82 to replace it (or a GT3), the F8X platform is going to be a great track rat platform aside from the cost of early adoption. Plenty of power, easy access to more go fast stuff and the cooling system is stout.

But to contribute to your question there's nothing wrong with AST/MOTON, even more so if they are in your backyard. AST and JRZ are pretty similar and alot of the internals are identical. So there's no black magic happening there that you're not going to get from one but not the other. I run AST 5210's and they have been great.

I'll recommend quick connects if you're going the remote reservoir route. It's way easier to service regularly (you'll need to inspect nitrogen levels in between rebuilds) and keeping the exposed adjuster away from the elements is a plus. This is on my list when I'm due for a rebuild.

Another one to consider is Nitron they are UK based.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
If I hadn't committed to the E92 in 2014 when I went full retard on it I probably would have gotten a bare bones F82 to replace it (or a GT3), the F8X platform is going to be a great track rat platform aside from the cost of early adoption. Plenty of power, easy access to more go fast stuff and the cooling system is stout.

But to contribute to your question there's nothing wrong with AST/MOTON, even more so if they are in your backyard. AST and JRZ are pretty similar and alot of the internals are identical. So there's no black magic happening there that you're not going to get from one but not the other. I run AST 5210's and they have been great.

I'll recommend quick connects if you're going the remote reservoir route. It's way easier to service regularly (you'll need to inspect nitrogen levels in between rebuilds) and keeping the exposed adjuster away from the elements is a plus. This is on my list when I'm due for a rebuild.

Another one to consider is Nitron they are UK based.
I agree that the F8X is a great track platform. However, easy performance gains by tuning the engine is not an option for me since it is illegal where I live. Since I came late into the game I had to experience the S65 engine and it is really a joy, both on track and during daily drives. In a few years I may not need the versatility of the M3 and then I will rather jump to a GT3 991. I don't mind driving a good turbo engined car, but I will pay more to be driving a high revving NA engined car. I know some may consider this stupidity, but I don't care as long as I have fun my own way.

Thank you for the tip regarding quick connects for the remote reservoirs. I will check this up with AST.

I did not know about Nitron. I have heard the name before, but did not think of this supplier when I started looking for suspension upgrade. The price seems to be very competitive to say the least. Do you have any idea if quality and performance is on on level with JRZ or Moton? The price for the Nitron 3-way kit (if complete with springs and top mounts) is priced approximately USD 2200 lower than the Moton's. I will have to do some more research...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

The Nitron stuff looks legit. It's poplar with the lotus crowd.

But it's limited stateside. I only know of one e90 on mpost that has one. But if you look at the hardware and assembly detail it looks to be a good setup. I think the rates they ship with are kind of soft for a track only setup.

One thing to know though is the Nitron rear is a true coilover so you will want to reinforce the rear shock towers if you go to high rates.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
The Nitron stuff looks legit. It's poplar with the lotus crowd.

But it's limited stateside. I only know of one e90 on mpost that has one. But if you look at the hardware and assembly detail it looks to be a good setup. I think the rates they ship with are kind of soft for a track only setup.

One thing to know though is the Nitron rear is a true coilover so you will want to reinforce the rear shock towers if you go to high rates.
Thanks for the tip. The Moton rear is also a true coilover, but I'm not planning to go very stiff. How stiff can I go without reinforcing the rear shock towers? Moton has recommended 90 N/mm front spring rate and 120 N/mm rear. I thought this is quite stiff in the front and soft in the rear. I have to check this up, because the Öhlins R&T is 60 front and 120 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90beemerfan View Post
Thanks for the tip. The Moton rear is also a true coilover, but I'm not planning to go very stiff. How stiff can I go without reinforcing the rear shock towers? Moton has recommended 90 N/mm front spring rate and 120 N/mm rear. I thought this is quite stiff in the front and soft in the rear. I have to check this up, because the Öhlins R&T is 60 front and 120 rear.
Rear motion ratio needs to be taken into account. When you move to a coil over your motion ratio is 0.83 vs. the stock setup of 0.57 used by the R&T setup. I think You'll find the 120 plenty stiff in a true coil over.

Reference thread: JAJ's excellent suspension thread

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

That makes sense. Thank you for the link. There's a lot of useful info there.
Appreciate 0