BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Basement Water Mitigation Legit?

So I have a basement for the first time. Only been here since June, but one day when we got a lot of rain very quickly I noticed water in the basement. I believe most of the water came from a drain hole in the floor (which looks to have a rubber cap on it). Maybe a very small amount came from one of the walls, but hard to say as I found the water later on and it might have subsided some back into the drain by the time I saw it. However I’m pretty sure the vast majority came from the drain.

So I figured I better deal with this now before the rainy season comes and we get some more monsoon weather. Called a company that’s suppose to do basement water mitigation. They seemed to have good reviews on quick examination. Anyways they recommended some gutter type thing they put under the foundation where the wall meets the foundation and connects to a sump pump that pumps it out. Now part of the basement has a finished room in it. So the quote did not include anything in there (as it would be torn up) or the other side of the basement where I did not see any water. He’s telling me $5,300.

So is that shit legit or is it some kind of bs scam? I’m thinking of taking the rubber cap off the drain and dump some cement in that bitch and see what happens. However never having had a basement I obviously don’t know what I’m doing. Anyone have one of these systems or know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Sounds like the company is talking about weaping tile. Search around using this, you'll get a ton of information.

Can't comment on the cost, but weaping tile does work. If you go for it, I highly recommend a backup pump above the other... (with check valve)

If they're going to dig around the house, install the weaping tile, and then connect to a pump it's a lot of work.

Last edited by Frostynorth; 12-15-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Second what frosty said. French drain / weeping tile does work. But ultimately best when the house is first built as they can incorporate a pit with a sump pump in it that continually pumps water away and keeps the basement dry. If they are digging all around the house that will be expensive. But not sure how they are going to incorporate a pit with a sump.

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
Murf99314116.00
King Rudi13154.00
      12-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

A basement drain can be handy if it isn't causing problems. If you ever decide to put a dehumidifier down there, floor drains are perfect for draining the dehumidifier. But as you say, if it's just a "drain" into the area directly under the basement and allows ground water to seep back in, that's a problem.

Are your gutter downspouts just dumping water next to your house? Or are they connected to drain hoses to move the water away from the house?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

French drain, they were big in Jersey…. It’s legit
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

though I know numerous people who've had french drains installed and they did not work successfully.

did the company specify a battery powered sump ? (would a battery powered be the right type ?) Did the company say if it's subsurface groundwater rising issue or a surface water flooding issue leaking into the home ? Or a combo of both ?
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So basically my understanding is it's like a French drain but inside the basement. They cut a trench all around the perimeter of the basement cement floor. Install some kind of channel thing in there that leads to another pit they dig inside the basement to a dump pump. Part of the cost includes adding a dedicated breaker for the pump so it's electrical.

They will only do basically half the basement as the other half is finished and had no water intrusion on that day (that I could see). The guy said he believes that should take care of it, but it's hard to trust the guy selling the stuff. He said the perimeter drain should stop the floor drain from overflowing but they would run the channel to where the drain is to be safe.

So $5k MIGHT solve the issue or it might not and might require another $5k or who knows what to do the other side. He said the issue is definitely ground water coming in. It rained a lot in the summer but only time it came up was the day it rained a LOT in one day. The house is on the side of a slope so the front of the house is at ground level with front yard and the basement is ground level with the yard. So the basement goes more below ground the further in you go.

The drain in the floor seems to serve no purpose and they put a rubber stopper on it (obviously didn't work). That's why I'm thinking cement that mofo up. If that doesn't work I could still fork over the $$ at that point.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

Always start outside first then move inside. First thing you want to do is make sure that all your downspouts are clean and dropping water at least 3 feet from the house. Then make sure that your house landscaping is graded away from the house. Then check this hole in the basement. Without looking at it I wonder if it is a sump pit.

If this is a single family house with a yard you want the exterior french drain into a sump pump. Needing an interior french drain is very rare and really is only used when you cannot install one outside because the house is too close to another one.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615336.00
2000cs3502.50
King Rudi13154.00
      12-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You didn't get a consultation on drainage issues, you got a sales pitch for their favorite procedure. That inner drain is basically a last-ditch approach that catches intruding water and pumps it out before it builds up too far; you still have all the problems with humitidty and water damage to foundation. And unless your baseement is only half underground, only doing half of it is really inadequate. It is bettter than nothing, but nowhere near as effective as the more expensive outside drainage. Figure out if the water is coming up the drain, or in thru foundation/walls (asking neighbors if they got water up the drains as a good indicator if there was a backup), and go from there. Sometimes the city needs to clear their drain lines, but if you are on septic/leach fields then it is all basically groundwater intrusion. Either way, it is good to make sure groundwater and roof runoff is going away from the house.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

VERY IMPORTANT - as already suggested, work on the outside drainage first. Make sure gutters dump far away from the house, and during a rainstorm look at any other drainage areas to see which way water runs. Sometimes it’s as simple as adding a landscape timber or other barrier along a driveway or sidewalk to ensure water runs away from the house.

When was this house built?
Adding interior French drains and a sump pump will probably work, but are an expensive solution for minor water intrusion. Most newer homes with basements already have the drains and a sump pump well, but might not have a pump installed.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAcurler View Post
Always start outside first then move inside. First thing you want to do is make sure that all your downspouts are clean and dropping water at least 3 feet from the house. Then make sure that your house landscaping is graded away from the house. Then check this hole in the basement. Without looking at it I wonder if it is a sump pit.

If this is a single family house with a yard you want the exterior french drain into a sump pump. Needing an interior french drain is very rare and really is only used when you cannot install one outside because the house is too close to another one.
Definitely gutters all around the house with those leaf covers on them. They all go to PVC pipes in the ground so I guess I will have to disconnect those are see if I can see any issues in there as I can’t really tell where they go after the go underground. The house is on a slope, so water should go from the front of the house down to the back and then keeps going down into yard/woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You didn't get a consultation on drainage issues, you got a sales pitch for their favorite procedure. That inner drain is basically a last-ditch approach that catches intruding water and pumps it out before it builds up too far; you still have all the problems with humitidty and water damage to foundation. And unless your baseement is only half underground, only doing half of it is really inadequate. It is bettter than nothing, but nowhere near as effective as the more expensive outside drainage. Figure out if the water is coming up the drain, or in thru foundation/walls (asking neighbors if they got water up the drains as a good indicator if there was a backup), and go from there. Sometimes the city needs to clear their drain lines, but if you are on septic/leach fields then it is all basically groundwater intrusion. Either way, it is good to make sure groundwater and roof runoff is going away from the house.
No doubt that’s why I’m skeptical of anything the guy says. He already had the solution as soon as he showed up regardless of what the issue is. Definitely ground water as we are on septic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
VERY IMPORTANT - as already suggested, work on the outside drainage first. Make sure gutters dump far away from the house, and during a rainstorm look at any other drainage areas to see which way water runs. Sometimes it’s as simple as adding a landscape timber or other barrier along a driveway or sidewalk to ensure water runs away from the house.

When was this house built?
Adding interior French drains and a sump pump will probably work, but are an expensive solution for minor water intrusion. Most newer homes with basements already have the drains and a sump pump well, but might not have a pump installed.
It's from the 50s. Most of the water definitely came from that drain, although a very small amount does come through some parts of the walls and there are signs of previous water in areas and attempts at stopping it.

I guess next step is to open that drain and see wtf is going on in there. I havent done it yet because I figure I’m probably going to break the rusted out cover thats on it currently so I need to have the time/plan to cover it back up when I’m done. There is another drain exactly the same with the same cover maybe 15ft to the side of that one but no water came in through that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

As others have said, make sure your roof drains are depositing water as far from the foundation as possible. Start there before you go digging up the basement. I had a problem corner at my house that flooded when we got heavy rain. I ran the downspouts into a small cistern with a sump pump in it. That pump pumps it up, out, and into the municipal storm water collection system. Works like a charm. No flooding. No digging up the basement.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
No doubt that’s why I’m skeptical of anything the guy says. He already had the solution as soon as he showed up regardless of what the issue is. Definitely ground water as we are on septic.
So to be fair, he had the right solution already prepared because it's pretty much the same solution for every house. You either have storm water runoff from the roof causing localized flooding that enters the house, or, the general water table rises and hydraulic pressure forces it in. Either way the solution he has the offer is the same: Weeping tile around the house and a sump pump.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Definitely gutters all around the house with those leaf covers on them.
Be sure and check those leaf covers. They can actually catch leaves on top, blocking the water from entering the gutter and it simply runs off the roof right next to the structure.

I was considering these leaf covers for our home but did some research and saw way too many stories of this issue...
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #15
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

A fun watch.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I hate to be that guy but this is a world of hurt man. Water is an absolute SOB and this has potential to be very expensive and incredibly frustrating. Good luck sir.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

As other have mentioned. Make sure gutters are ran correctly and far away. If you are getting it on one side, that system works. I have a rental in New Jersey. 80% of the basement is finished. One day the area rug was soaked. I had water coming in the block wall. They came in, did exactly what you are saying, cut the floor and installed pump. Ran down a 20' wall and 6' up each connecting wall. It was 4500 bucks and have had no issues. People saying do the outside first, F that. Try this first as it will be a fraction of the cost. You will be 20 plus G's most likely for the whole outside. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #18
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

This thread has made me anxious.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We had a related problem on the baseball fields. Dugouts were cement lined, and below grade. There was a drain in the middle, but one dugout always filled with water. Turned out, once we cleared the drain properly, no more flooding.

Also possible the PO MAY have covered the drain for times when a sump wasn't installed
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:

I guess next step is to open that drain and see wtf is going on in there. I havent done it yet because I figure I’m probably going to break the rusted out cover thats on it currently so I need to have the time/plan to cover it back up when I’m done. There is another drain exactly the same with the same cover maybe 15ft to the side of that one but no water came in through that one.
Before you go tearing things up, maybe try something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/

I have this exact one and it works well. I used it to inspect our chimney flue.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Before you go tearing things up, maybe try something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/

I have this exact one and it works well. I used it to inspect our chimney flue.
Bought newer version, with case
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
what you currently have under that drain is man made drywell, its a pit thats collects water. Most of them are made of sand, rocks, gravel. The water should disperse into the ground slowly...but during heavy rain, or rainstorm- the water will back up into floor drain.
the solution is to redirect water into the sump pump to avoid flooding inside the home.

the sump pump and basin with controls can be pricey, some come with battery backup cost is north of $2k..plus all the electrical wiring and waterproofing.
Appreciate 0