BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

M3 vs GT 5.0

So my dream car is a BMW M3, and I'm willing to wait over ten years just to have it. My little brother is planning on financing a Mustang 5.0 GT, and I've heard it competes with the M3.

I was wondering if any of you have thought about purchasing the Mustang, and what your impressions were.

My concerns:

Interior quality
DD comfort (is the car close to be an ultimate driving machine just like our bimmers? - my pops has a 135i & I leased a 06' e90 330i and loved the car)
Power & handling (what are some weaknesses?)

My brother is going to check out the car again, and this time I'm going for the ride (I missed the test drive two days ago)! Before the Mustang is test-driven, I was hoping I could get some responses on what you all think about the build quality of the 5.0 + which packages you would want if you were in the buyer's position (My brother wants brembo package forsure, and my buddy recommended something about a gearing package something along the lines of 3.76.

This is a fun and friendly thread, I'm not trying to start a flame war! I obviously love the looks of the M3 more, but would like to hear some constructive criticism from people who actually have driven both vehicles

----

I'm guessing there are only a couple of people I can talk to about this, and I will be going to sleep very soon. Will report back with my impressions of the 5.0 later. The sad part is, I haven't driven an M3 and can't compare it to the Mustang, yet (and my brother is set on the 5.0 - so we won't be visiting a BMW dealership). About pricing: If you seriously have something bad to say about me wanting either car as a twenty-two year old, please keep it to yourself (I'm not trying to out do anyone, but want to have a car that puts a smile on my face when I see/drive/feel it - just like my e90).

Last edited by xquisit; 04-25-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Huh.....M3 vs 5.0?

Wonder why we have not seen a thread like this before?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

buyers dont usually cross-shop between the 2, and yes we probably have 100939383020 threads on this topic
      04-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

agreed with the others. no point in spending much time on this topic because it has been discussed ad nauseum. the long and short of what I have read on this forum is that Ford has put together a fantastic car with the 5.0 that is a legitimate competitor to the M3 in terms of raw performance numbers, but it's still a bit rougher around the edges in terms of refinement, comfort, interior quality, etc... which is to be expected considering the price gap - these cars are priced/positioned to target different consumer segments.

I've never driven one, but from what I can tell, the 5.0 is a great car and an even better value for its price.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

"This is a fun and friendly thread, I'm not trying to start a flame war!"

Man you came to the wrong forum! BMW drivers are Dicks! And they have no friends!

I test drove my friend 08' Shelby supersnake. My impression was the car was very basic, interior was very Ford, tremendous power, clutch was probably eighty pound push, lack all the electronics and tech sophistication of the M3. Ford succeeded in what they intended to make in these cars. Not comparable in any way to cross shop! You either want a mustang or an M3, not really any middle ground there in the choice.
      04-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Huh.....M3 vs 5.0?

Wonder why we have not seen a thread like this before?
Well, I've seen a few threads - just didn't get all the information I wanted from people who actually drove both vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
buyers dont usually cross-shop between the 2, and yes we probably have 100939383020 threads on this topic
I understand the price difference is huge, I should've said 2x 5.0 GT Vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
agreed with the others. no point in spending much time on this topic because it has been discussed ad nauseum. the long and short of what I have read on this forum is that Ford has put together a fantastic car with the 5.0 that is a legitimate competitor to the M3 in terms of raw performance numbers, but it's still a bit rougher around the edges in terms of refinement, comfort, interior quality, etc... which is to be expected considering the price gap - these cars are priced/positioned to target different consumer segments.

I've never driven one, but from what I can tell, the 5.0 is a great car and an even better value for its price.
I understand, and as a young adult I feel the need to consider both of them as a daily driver. I could save more money buying a mustang, but could easily regret not spending twice the amount on an M3.

Believe me I used the engine, but I still didn't find someone who drove both cars and wrote an extensive review on each one. I was searching at 6A.M., and might've missed the threads you were mentioning. So I will give it another go today, but I might have to do it after the dealership (and hopefully by then, there will be a 'Stang in our driveway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
"This is a fun and friendly thread, I'm not trying to start a flame war!"

Man you came to the wrong forum! BMW drivers are Dicks! And they have no friends!

I test drove my friend 08' Shelby supersnake. My impression was the car was very basic, interior was very Ford, tremendous power, clutch was probably eighty pound push, lack all the electronics and tech sophistication of the M3. Ford succeeded in what they intended to make in these cars. Not comparable in any way to cross shop! You either want a mustang or an M3, not really any middle ground there in the choice.
Gotcha, like I stated early - I'm a young fella', just trying to evaluate his future purchases. & it does seem a bit silly, as the cars are truly not in the same bracket - I felt it was needed to hear some opinions from the community on what they think about the mustang, and I'm happy you guys responded. Ty
      04-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

you probably already saw these, but here are just a couple threads in case you missed them.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=5.0

why don't you post up your thoughts and a few pictures when she arrives?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Mikes5.0
Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d, 2009 E92 M3

If you have any questions about the 5.0 just pm me. I agree they are not commonly crossed shop but if someone want similar performance and is willing to sacrifice some perks the new 5.0 is a great option for the price.

This is my 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I actually did cross shop these... well, with a used M3. It was a close decision as I actually put in an order for a 5.0, but in the end the looks, the solid build quality/materials, and driving feel of the M won me over.

Things you'll like about the Mustang (compared to the M3) is that there's more power down low. If you're in to racing between the lights, you'll like it, lol. Edit: I am a manual driver, so this is ignoring the DCT.

I think I was biased since my previous car was a 335, so it felt odd sitting in a Mustang. Just take a test drive in one, and if you love it, get it. It's definitely a nice value. Ford is getting close, really close... where if you prefer certain things over others (like torque, fuel economy, price), you might opt for the Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

The 5.0 is an amazing car. It's so good that BMW even love it. They enjoy the fun competitive nature it's bringing. I'm not talking dealers or salesman here, I'm talking BMW PR and executives.

The GT is a remarkable car. It's the best American sports car for under $50,000. A Corvette is much faster, but way less usable. The Mustang also has a much nicer interior.

As for the M3, it's a bit better in certain areas around the track. It's also a bit more refined. However, the Mustang is much more comfortable and gets MUCH better fuel mileage.

Either one you get you'll be very happy. I say drive them both and enjoy each test, if you can. Don't worry about what other people say. The M3 is worth its price tag and the Mustang is worth its, too. The Mustang just happens to be as fast as the M3 in most circumstances.

The Mustang will also be much easier to mod your way for less money. The M3 is espensive...

You can't go wrong with either, though. I almost bought a new Boss 302 before settling on my M3...

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

I just want to start out by saying thank you for taking me seriously, because this thread is the real deal. This thread is mainly for me, but obviously my little brother is buying one 100% sure (tomorrow hopefully).

Secondly, he is getting a 2012 brand-spankin'-new Mustang 5.0 GT coupe /w Brembo package, 3.73 rear axle ratio, and security package. He is financing, and it's not premium package/no glass roof (which I will consider getting for myself). He is getting 700 or 50 under invoice (big gap, but honestly I can't remember forgive me - he's not home atm). Payment = Zero down + 500 a month INCLUDING tax for 72 months (six years). Now, let's just say I want a car within two years - and made this thread 335i vs mustang 5.0. I don't think I would want to finance a 335i, but mustang - it seems like a keeper (which is why I initially made it my dream car vs stang). I also hate the fact the 335i has no LSD (with no experience with a LSD RWD car, I am just assuming it will always be in the back of my mind I would mod the 335i more than the mustang & leads me back to saving up for the M3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
you probably already saw these, but here are just a couple threads in case you missed them.

why don't you post up your thoughts and a few pictures when she arrives?
Definitely saw then, but I truly appreciate you taking your time to post them & I will definitely view them again for the second or third time (I got time, why not?). So thank you, and also I will definitely let you know what I think & share photos (possibly video as well) + a written review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes5.0 View Post
If you have any questions about the 5.0 just pm me. I agree they are not commonly crossed shop but if someone want similar performance and is willing to sacrifice some perks the new 5.0 is a great option for the price.

This is my 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wow, I didn't even see that color on the lot. BEAUTIFUL, it really must go well with the brembos & and as I see it matches your wheels perfectly! I'll definitely shoot you a pm, thanks for the offer. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice luxury to save money (I'm not even sure how much it would cost me to lease the M3 brand new for three or five years, and then finance). The reason I would lease the M3 would just to be safe, and I might like the new F30s.

EDIT: I am now not worried about having two 5.0 Black mustangs, I have decided to get the same color as you - I dig it, a lot. One picture = a change of decision, but maybe if you post more pictures = quicker purchase ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PusheMeKuratz View Post
You rock, thank you - I'm about to read this article, and ecstatic to see something new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I actually did cross shop these... well, with a used M3. It was a close decision as I actually put in an order for a 5.0, but in the end the looks, the solid build quality/materials, and driving feel of the M won me over.

Things you'll like about the Mustang (compared to the M3) is that there's more power down low. If you're in to racing between the lights, you'll like it, lol. Edit: I am a manual driver, so this is ignoring the DCT.

I think I was biased since my previous car was a 335, so it felt odd sitting in a Mustang. Just take a test drive in one, and if you love it, get it. It's definitely a nice value. Ford is getting close, really close... where if you prefer certain things over others (like torque, fuel economy, price), you might opt for the Mustang.
On the Mustang the power down low sounds nice, since I always read threads about M3 owners (some, if not very few) complaining about the low-end torque of the M3 (I'm not sure if they can drive their cars properly, so until I drive one I can't assume that tbh). I see you had a 335i, and I had a 06 e90 330i (ZPP ZSP iDrive & I believe it had AS). Which makes me want to stear towards the M3, but you just mentioned fuel economy.. Gosh, times are hard right now & I'll need to research how much gas I'll save going with the Mustang. I truly like the looks of the M3 more, and I too would modify the M3 way more than the Mustang (and it would be more expensive to mod it compared to the 'stang). Tough choice, but you're right - if I love something, I most likely will dedicate myself and acquire it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
The 5.0 is an amazing car. It's so good that BMW even love it. They enjoy the fun competitive nature it's bringing. I'm not talking dealers or salesman here, I'm talking BMW PR and executives.

The GT is a remarkable car. It's the best American sports car for under $50,000. A Corvette is much faster, but way less usable. The Mustang also has a much nicer interior.

As for the M3, it's a bit better in certain areas around the track. It's also a bit more refined. However, the Mustang is much more comfortable and gets MUCH better fuel mileage.

Either one you get you'll be very happy. I say drive them both and enjoy each test, if you can. Don't worry about what other people say. The M3 is worth its price tag and the Mustang is worth its, too. The Mustang just happens to be as fast as the M3 in most circumstances.

The Mustang will also be much easier to mod your way for less money. The M3 is espensive...

You can't go wrong with either, though. I almost bought a new Boss 302 before settling on my M3...
I definitely have thought about how expensive mods will be for an M3 (I'm sure after three or five years - I'd want BBS/BBK/Gt 2EXHAUST/OSS/Challenge Lip/CSL Trunk/Ericcson Rear Bumper). I like how you said the 5.0 is more comfortable, and I can't wait to give my opinion on it tomorrow (since, I will assume M3 seats were similar to my 06 e90 ZSP seats -right?).

The boss 302 might be my friends new car (currently has 04' GT), but he's looking hard for a 03 SVT Cobra!

I'm thinking really hard about this, and I know I can easily manage to make $500 a month to afford the 'Stang. I haven't even thought about it, but if I got the stang it would most likely be black on black - which is what my brother is buying. Wouldn't it be wierd to have two of the same car in the driveway?

Last edited by xquisit; 04-27-2011 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on this one.

The 5.0 is as many have said, an amazing car. Any TRUE car enthusiast who looks at the new 5.0 will have nothing but respect for it.

I'm not a fan of old school muscle, but I undoubtedly can appreciate what it stands for and what it's designed to do well. Performance wise, the 5.0 is on point with the M3, and even if you just ignorantly throw out that it might be the case only in a straight line, you'd be blind to not notice the leaps and bounds Ford has truly made from it's previous stang generations in regards to what the car can do on a track.

Based off your situation and the things you've said, it sounds like the 5.0 might be the way to go. The M3 is an expensive car to keep up and maintain, and modifications to it are NOT going to cheap either. Plus... the big picture here, and I don't know maybe it's just me but if you f*ck up in a M3, you'll cringe. Not just any cringe, you'll cringe so hard it might cause internal bleeding... and seriously... you just might die. The 5.0 isn't like that, I'm not saying you can try and slide a 90 degree turn at 120mph roll 800x and feel like a million bucks afterwards, but I'm saying you can afford to make mistakes in a 5.0 and not have it set you back for the next year.

I'm a big fan of Motortrend. They did an article that compared the 2, great read and I was TRULY impressed with the new 5.0.

That's just a Motortrend clip, I'm sure you can grab the magazine if you wan't the full read.

If an M3 is your dream car, keep saving bro, you'll get there. Is there any rush though? ( You're 22? ) Not really. Could you polish your skills in 5.0 till the M3 becomes a reality? Of course.

In the end though, just do you. As Awesome said, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, just make the choice that's right for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #13
Mikes5.0
Car Guy
United_States
Rep

You can see more pics,dyno's,and mods in the link below. Ill warn you now, the guys on most of the mustang forums are on par with the supra forums. Most think the mustang is gods gift but only care about going in a straight line. I doubt most of them know how to use the steering wheel other than when using it to drive around the water box at the drag strip.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389921...tang-gt/page-2
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #14
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on this one.

The 5.0 is as many have said, an amazing car. Any TRUE car enthusiast who looks at the new 5.0 will have nothing but respect for it.

I'm not a fan of old school muscle, but I undoubtedly can appreciate what it stands for and what it's designed to do well. Performance wise, the 5.0 is on point with the M3, and even if you just ignorantly throw out that it might be the case only in a straight line, you'd be blind to not notice the leaps and bounds Ford has truly made from it's previous stang generations in regards to what the car can do on a track.

Based off your situation and the things you've said, it sounds like the 5.0 might be the way to go. The M3 is an expensive car to keep up and maintain, and modifications to it are NOT going to cheap either. Plus... the big picture here, and I don't know maybe it's just me but if you f*ck up in a M3, you'll cringe. Not just any cringe, you'll cringe so hard it might cause internal bleeding... and seriously... you just might die. The 5.0 isn't like that, I'm not saying you can try and slide a 90 degree turn at 120mph roll 800x and feel like a million bucks afterwards, but I'm saying you can afford to make mistakes in a 5.0 and not have it set you back for the next year.

I'm a big fan of Motortrend. They did an article that compared the 2, great read and I was TRULY impressed with the new 5.0.

That's just a Motortrend clip, I'm sure you can grab the magazine if you wan't the full read.

If an M3 is your dream car, keep saving bro, you'll get there. Is there any rush though? ( You're 22? ) Not really. Could you polish your skills in 5.0 till the M3 becomes a reality? Of course.

In the end though, just do you. As Awesome said, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, just make the choice that's right for you.
I respect you for chiming in, and I'm glad you did:

You mentioned something very important, because I would easily care about the M3 more than the Mustang (not saying I won't take care of both cars differently), because one scratch or ding would really make me trip out (don't get me wrong, shit happens - but it is an important car to me).

I am twenty-two years old, and there is ONE HUGE problem I forgot to mention: I'm very new to driving manual, and only driven three times within five years. I don't think the Mustang will be so forgiving, and was hoping to learn on my brothers e30 (when he fixes it up, and it's not an M if you're wondering).

Another thing I can't stop thinking about is:
What if I wait so long, that there will be absolutely zero brand new M3's (2015-6ish)? I'm sure it's not financially smart to consider buying the car (planning on getting it when I'm older TBH, and the mustang sometime this year if I don't lease an M). I suppose there will very possibly be two mustangs in my driveway, or I will just save up all my money for medical school (which I still have time to think about pursuing, because I do have a commute car - Mazda Protoge 2002 AT).

I guess I will have to think about this long and hard, and what's left to do now is report back when I test drive both cars (in automatic, sadly). In a couple months, I'll be back to drive them in MT. So keep in touch friends, I will definitely be bumping this thread tomorrow (in high hopes, that my brother gets the deal for 0 down / $500 p/month / 72 months finance).

Take care, and for anyone who has positive criticism - feel free to hop in this discussion.

Quote:
You can see more pics,dyno's,and mods in the link below. Ill warn you now, the guys on most of the mustang forums are on par with the supra forums. Most think the mustang is gods gift but only care about going in a straight line. I doubt most of them know how to use the steering wheel other than when using it to drive around the water box at the drag strip.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389921...tang-gt/page-2
Well, I'm sure all car groups got their good & bad. I'm trying to stay away from the Negative Normans, and glad I at least got a warning prior to joining their club. I can't wait to click the link, thank you for sharing!

EDIT: As I view the first picture, there is already a smile on my face. Your car is simply astonishing, and I'm amazed on how I didn't see any at Galpin Ford. I think you have some tasteful mods, and I really appeciate you posting in my thread.
      04-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
Mikes5.0
Car Guy
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the compliment. Im happy with the car and less than a grand in power mods I picked up close to 50hp to the rear wheels. Oh and the color is ingot silver.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #16
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. Im happy with the car and less than a grand in power mods I picked up close to 50hp to the rear wheels. Oh and the color is ingot silver.
You're welcome, and thanks for the information.

I was wondering if this was the only silver, or is there also a charcoal color as well? Not that I would be interested, just curious! I'm pretty much set on Ingot silver, because my little brother will most likely get his black one tomorrow!
      04-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #17
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

I know this will be a question that can be asked elsewhere, but figured why not add it here:

I want to have an idea on how much I will pay for insurance. Any recommendations on legit insurance companies? I live in Los Angeles, CA and heard Prop 13 means my credit will not affect my insurance pricing.

Also, is there a way to get a quote online & will they ask for my SSN? Will it be some-what precise? Is there room to negotiate a price? What do you recommend me adding to the plan?
      04-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #18
Mikes5.0
Car Guy
United_States
Rep

You could get the 2010 and 2011 in sterling gray but they pulled it for 2012.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #19
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Quote:
You could get the 2010 and 2011 in sterling gray but they pulled it for 2012.
Right on, and sorry for my lack of information on the mustangs + lack of research (not even extensive research): What is the difference between the '11 & '12 GT? My brother wanted to go for the 2012 only, and I never questioned why (he's sleeping atm, and would have to wait - so was hoping you could help me out). Thanks in advance.
      04-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post
I know this will be a question that can be asked elsewhere, but figured why not add it here:

I want to have an idea on how much I will pay for insurance. Any recommendations on legit insurance companies? I live in Los Angeles, CA and heard Prop 13 means my credit will not affect my insurance pricing.

Also, is there a way to get a quote online & will they ask for my SSN? Will it be some-what precise? Is there room to negotiate a price? What do you recommend me adding to the plan?
22 year old single male in Los Angeles driving an E9xM3 or Ford Mustang 5.0. Tell us what you get for insurance quotes. It can't be less than $3000 per year and I would not be surprised if it was 50% more.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
22 year old single male in Los Angeles driving an E9xM3 or Ford Mustang 5.0. Tell us what you get for insurance quotes. It can't be less than $3000 per year and I would not be surprised if it was 50% more.
Well, I can't even guess - My parents blessed me with a 2006 E90 330i fully loaded, and helped pay for it all. It's time for me to start paying for my own expenses, and I'll definitely let the fellas here know what I'm quoted at... if you can recommend me insurance companies to stick with, please feel free to post away!

Last edited by xquisit; 04-27-2011 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #22
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep

Well, Geico quoted me at 3,000USD for six months

I've had a minor accident, and 105+ on a 65mph speeding ticket that happened three years ago. Looks like I have to wait two years to hope to get a lower quote (more time to save money, yay).

I did make the bodily injury part 30,000/60,000 - and wasn't sure if that was a good price point to select.

I also checked the B+ average student part, and hoped it would lower the price. Sheesh, $6,000 a year, you were right about the 50% part

EDIT: Crap, sorry for double post (it's really late, and was planning on editing the post prior to this one)