BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #45
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Best of luck getting this fixed, i'm sure a good paint guy will have it covered. It's amazing what scum live in this world.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #46
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Bring it to Phil at Detailers Domain, he and his crew will do it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #47
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Too bad they just banned all the detailers on this forum...

Good luck OP! Keep us updated!
      09-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #48
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Too bad they just banned all the detailers on this forum...

Good luck OP! Keep us updated!
They did? I'm pretty sure neither Phil or I have been banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz26 View Post
Thanks so much for the support and advice everyone!

I agree the red paint should come off the body paint with some sort of acetone or paint thinner or clay bar, since the body paint should be much harder to damage. However, I am worried about the level of coverage -- the red paint is all over the place, including the lights, glass, and rims. My concern is that, if I try repairing it and fail, insurance might not be keen on paying for a full paint job at that point.

Three quick questions, if you guys will allow me:
1) Any implications of this being a lease? Would the leasing company (BMW Financial) have specific requirements about how to deal with something like this?
2) About how much would a total repaint cost? And any chance the leasing company/insurance would let me change the color?
3) Any recommendations on how to find a shop that specializes in something like this?

And yes, no f--ks were given that day. I took photos, tried a car wash, and then drove for 5 hours to New Hampshire. Along the way, one woman stopped next to me and told me it looked like an awesome paint job. After I told her it was unintentional, her jaw dropped. Two guys commented at two different gas stations. And there were a number of looks/points on the highway, but that could have been general M3 aggressive driving + top-down + blonde in the passenger seat pointing.

Lights407, no worries. I don't think there's something particularly wrong with NYC people that makes it worse than other cities; or, there might be many things, but getting red paint thrown / shot / accidentally spilled on your car probably isn't one of them. However, there is certainly much more risk of random s--- happening to your car if you leave it parked in the street than in a garage. Lesson learned.

Thanks again everyone!

Best,
Rob
The red paint in all likelihood can be removed without damaging your clear coat. There might be instances where the red paint etched itself into your clear, but that can be removed as well through either compounding or wet sanding. We completed a job like this in the past year and it turned out wonderfully. A respray would likely be overkill and would replace the still-healthy clear beneath the red paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #49
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
They did? I'm pretty sure neither Phil or I have been banned.
Okay, well, not all. They banned Jimmy Lucci and deleted all of his threads without giving him an opportunity to become a sponsor (or so he said when he went out with a bang last Friday).
      09-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #50
Robz26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Thanks Plutonium, Martin, and Eclipsis. GEICO is taking a look tomorrow for an estimate. I'm not really sure how this will play out, since I'm guessing GEICO will push for a low damage quote, but then I'll want to see a detailer / body shop / BMW Service afterwards...

I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow and let you guys know!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #51
Robz26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Final update--

I brought it to GEICO for an estimate. They recommended trying to get it cleaned up at my local body shop and, if the paint got into the clear and needed to be repainted, they would let me take it somewhere I really trust (eclipsis, detailers domain, or detailing dynamics).

Fortunately, they were able to take it all out! They claimed it had not penetrated the clear and they were able to "buff it out" (?). I was just happy to have it look good-as-new for $550.

For future reference, was this the right move? It's leased and I'm hoping to upgrade to an M5 (or better, if that exists), so I wasn't as concerned about long-term (>3 years) effects.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support!

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #52
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
It got out with no paintwork as far as your worried its all good! Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #53
m45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Those photos really bother me. So wrong.... just so wrong.

Glad you got everything sorted out.
Appreciate 0