BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

09-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
Terrible to see - I would try some "Goof Off"

http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/

The stuff s pretty good and states it ok for auto paint. I have used it many times before for tar / bugs / etc.

Do a small trial of it in a less noticeable spot under the rocker or somewhere for a test. Should work on the wheels too.

Good luck man.. its not the end of the world even though it may feel that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Sorry to see this bro, but I would never leave my car outside for even a minute if I have access to indoor parking. Good luck with removing the paint.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Could those be from paint balls? Splashed paint would not look like that?!?!?
I don't think that is from paintballs. Paintballs are also water based so then would wash right off with soap and water

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry
Could those be from paint balls? Splashed paint would not look like that?!?!?
I think your right. Vandilism via paintball gun. Sucks you keep a high deductible. A good detailer can fix it but it wont be cheap but better than a respray. Its definlty not from splashed paint or someone throwing it froma paint can
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Non

wow messed up but for some reason it looks likes it can be taken off go see if you can get the car detailed or something or ask the guy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post
Really? That's a pretty bad reason not to live somewhere. Are there not both nice and not so nice sections of every town or city? Can't crime happen anywhere?

I'm guessing your list should pretty much have every city or town in the world then. It's dangerous out there.

OP. Good luck. Sorry to see this.
hahhahah did you see his location??? back on topic OP i think you won't have to respray. im not 100% on properties on dried on paint on our car's paint but i have a method if you want to try it. do a wash with a high concentration of dawn dish soap. then spray the car liberally with IronX(follow instructions on the bottle). then take an aggressive clay bar and clay the entire car. i dont want to say that will remove all the paint and you do it and say it made it worse or something but that method should take care of the paint. if this could get moved to the detailing section maybe more pros can chime in
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I am no detailed but lacquer thinner should take that right off. Then just wax... I've used it for paint transfer before though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
JonNYC
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Sorry to see this bro, but I would never leave my car outside for even a minute if I have access to indoor parking. Good luck with removing the paint.
The world is a different and varied place. My M3 is NYC-based and-- in Manhattan, anyway-- putting your car in a parking garage is no guarantee against damage whatsoever. I've suffered more damage in the garage (and, yes, switch garages when it happens-- makes no difference. And xmas tip bigger than almost anyone else in the garage) than I have parking on the street, which I do often-- albeit never overnight.

I wanna enjoy the car I bought, not treat it as a museum piece, and, yeah, sometimes snit happens, but I get full enjoyment and use out of my car in the mean time.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #31
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Get it to a detailer immediately. If you can't, wash the car and claybar it. You may have to claybar it multiple times until EVERYTHING is gone.

I had to remove white paint from my black car when a bucket of paint hit it. I got 99% of the paint off doing a wash and claybar.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
The world is a different and varied place. My M3 is NYC-based and-- in Manhattan, anyway-- putting your car in a parking garage is no guarantee against damage whatsoever. I've suffered more damage in the garage (and, yes, switch garages when it happens-- makes no difference. And xmas tip bigger than almost anyone else in the garage) than I have parking on the street, which I do often-- albeit never overnight.

I wanna enjoy the car I bought, not treat it as a museum piece, and, yeah, sometimes snit happens, but I get full enjoyment and use out of my car in the mean time.
Yeah, I suffered 3 separate accidents at the hands of NYC valets, one of them semi-major. Given the damage, seemed pretty likely that they were joy-riding it.

It's a hell of a pill to swallow when you're paying the garage anywhere from 400 to 700 a month just to park the car (and they insist on fucking it up)...

I hate to say it, but all of the car-related angst that NYC caused me was part of the impetus for me getting the hell out of there.
      09-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #33
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Sorry buddy... I agree, check Autopia.org. There's a lot of people with knowledge on paint protection/correction. I'm sure you can get it out without having to repaint
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #34
mofbb
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Sorry to see that. Wish u good luck bro.

E9X Picture Game: 2 points (Slow sign, Leaves)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
Zera006
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have used Goof-Off graffiti remover to remove spray paint from my truck. Best way to do its spray the area and then use pressure wash to wash it off or follow instructions on the spray can. This is best product for removing paint as I had to use ti multiple times to clean graffiti off my equipment. You can get it at home depot for $8. Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
hahhahah did you see his location???
Of course I did. My point is that it's complete silliness not to want to live somewhere (in general like a whole city) because of something like this. I'm pretty sure there are tons of cars much nicer than an M3 in cities like NYC.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #37
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Throw in a couple shades of blue and call it a "custom ///M paint"

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #38
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights407 View Post
Every time I see a thread like this, I make a note of where OP lives and tell myself I'll never live there as long as I have my car.

Best of luck to you man, and sorry about the unfortunate chain of events..
Says the poster from Va Tech....

That's pretty friggin awful OP -- good luck finding a solve (solvent?)
      09-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
do a wash with a high concentration of dawn dish soap. then spray the car liberally with IronX(follow instructions on the bottle). then take an aggressive clay bar and clay the entire car.
This, plus, use a polishing compound by Meguiar's. I would use a towel. Pour some on the towel, and dampen the paint with the compound. Leave it sitting there for good 1 to 2 minutes, and then use another towel to remove. It is pain in the ass to remove, but it can be done. Try to use circular motion, imitating a polisher, when removing the paint.
THere was some paint on the right side of the car. Apparently the previous owner must've ran over white/almond color paint that splattered the side of the car. It was sitting there for a while. But It is all gone.
After that, detail that car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #40
JonNYC
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
Yeah, I suffered 3 separate accidents at the hands of NYC valets, one of them semi-major. Given the damage, seemed pretty likely that they were joy-riding it.

It's a hell of a pill to swallow when you're paying the garage anywhere from 400 to 700 a month just to park the car (and they insist on fucking it up)...

I hate to say it, but all of the car-related angst that NYC caused me was part of the impetus for me getting the hell out of there.
Yeah, I hear ya on that front. Maybe it's partially in my case that since having done euro delivery on this M3, I can HARDLY WAIT to do my next one! So although I love my M3 cabrio, I just don't let the NYC-caused damage (and it's definitely starting to accumulate) bother me all that much. Some of it is instantly and easily fixable, some of it has zero impact on ride-quality, etc and some of it ya just live with. Not a limited edition car, always another one if I need one-- although I take great care of this one (relatively speaking,) and I enjoy every second in my car be it in NYC or-- better-- escaping it-- often and rapidly.

Garage I park in has Maseratis, Astons, Ferraris, etc-- it's actually -those- people who I think are "a bit nuts..." for driving in NYC (shows its all relative and subjective.) But my M3 is perfectly, perfectly at home here-- just misses its time on the autobahn from time to time
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #41
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights407 View Post
Every time I see a thread like this, I make a note of where OP lives and tell myself I'll never live there as long as I have my car.

Best of luck to you man, and sorry about the unfortunate chain of events..
That is the most ignorant and disrepectful comment. Really? I know tons of nice areas here that had break-ins. I guess from your comment you are living on top of a mount Everest or perhaps on an isolated island?

OP, hope you can get those stains out. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #42
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post
Really? That's a pretty bad reason not to live somewhere. Are there not both nice and not so nice sections of every town or city? Can't crime happen anywhere?

I'm guessing your list should pretty much have every city or town in the world then. It's dangerous out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
That is the most ignorant and disrepectful comment. Really? I know tons of nice areas here that had break-ins.

Dang, I'm sorry guys.. I didn't mean for my comment to come off as condescending in any way whatsoever. You raise a good point that this type of thing can happen anywhere. All I was trying to say with my comment is that things like this bring out the worst of the paranoia within me... I should be more open to bigger cities, and areas that I would generally stereotype with high crime or vandalism. I guess it's just the worst of the nit-picky, nervous-wreck, OCD freak in me saying no...

OP, I apologize if I came off as rude. Best of luck sincerely. My first instinct would be a thorough wash and an afternoon with your best clay bar.

Sorry for the commotion guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
Scrappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Try a clay bar before going for a detail if the paint hasn't set it should remove it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #44
Robz26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Thanks so much for the support and advice everyone!

I agree the red paint should come off the body paint with some sort of acetone or paint thinner or clay bar, since the body paint should be much harder to damage. However, I am worried about the level of coverage -- the red paint is all over the place, including the lights, glass, and rims. My concern is that, if I try repairing it and fail, insurance might not be keen on paying for a full paint job at that point.

Three quick questions, if you guys will allow me:
1) Any implications of this being a lease? Would the leasing company (BMW Financial) have specific requirements about how to deal with something like this?
2) About how much would a total repaint cost? And any chance the leasing company/insurance would let me change the color?
3) Any recommendations on how to find a shop that specializes in something like this?

And yes, no f--ks were given that day. I took photos, tried a car wash, and then drove for 5 hours to New Hampshire. Along the way, one woman stopped next to me and told me it looked like an awesome paint job. After I told her it was unintentional, her jaw dropped. Two guys commented at two different gas stations. And there were a number of looks/points on the highway, but that could have been general M3 aggressive driving + top-down + blonde in the passenger seat pointing.

Lights407, no worries. I don't think there's something particularly wrong with NYC people that makes it worse than other cities; or, there might be many things, but getting red paint thrown / shot / accidentally spilled on your car probably isn't one of them. However, there is certainly much more risk of random s--- happening to your car if you leave it parked in the street than in a garage. Lesson learned.

Thanks again everyone!

Best,
Rob
Appreciate 0