BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

06-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Opinions on beater turned project

I'm currently beginning my search for a winter beater to keep the salt off my 1er. I'm looking to spend in the 1k-4.5k range and my plans ultimately are to drive it this winter, possibly next also--but then do a complete overhaul when the 1 is paid off (next summer if finances go as planned)

What are the best bang for the buck options? I'm mechanically inclined and motor work isn't an issue; however I am looking for a decent body since I do not have access to a body shop that I can work on things myself.

I've been thinking/looking/Craigslisting:
(1) e34 wagon
(2) e30 sedan
(3) mini cooper (I know ground clearance sucks but I would stuff tires and I could use the mpg and small storage space required out of it)--finding these a little higher in price but if tranny needs rebuilt they are fairly cheap around me
(4) 944--this is new thought, leery about it but always fun to learn a new car and the project down the road would be LS engine swap
(5) a4--early 2000s

read about a lot of Volvo 240's doing ls swaps but there's absolutely none around me haha.

What else can we come up with? What precautions are there over the ones I listed? I'm only looking for it to be reliable enough for a maximum of 2 years and then i'm going down to uni-body or frame and re-doing everything. I know these cars are all very different, its a type of ADD I have with cars that I can't seem to get under control lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Subaru
Appreciate 0