BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, G07 X7

Q:Best Ground Clearance Front lip to mount apr wind splitter

I am planning to put aero parts on my car within couple months, and i am doing my homework to find the best ground clearance flat bottom lip to mount apr wind splitter. The critical point that i am looking for is "FLAT BOTTOM" and "Ground Clearance", so that with apr spiltter, it wont scrap the grounds all the time. Since i'm planning to put APR GT-250 wings, i do need the apr wind splitter at the same time to avoid understeer. I have seen cars with GTS or GT4 styled lips + apr wind splitters (ex. mod carbon V1), but i believe it will be too low for los angeles downtown, where all the pot holes suddenly appear when you drive. I've searched on the forums and found several lips that covers full edge of the front bumper (except Revinora CRT lip), seems like flat bottom (which i have no idea those lips look at the bottom), and sits higher than GTs or GT4 style (except Challenge, which seems to sit very low). Please share your experience or knowledge on these lips.

I've narrowed down to Exotic tuning vs revinora. Please look at the attachements.
1. Exotic Tuning
2. Revinora
Attached Images

Last edited by sungjungsc; 10-01-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Challenge is one of the lowest. Look at the pics you posted. The sides hang low as well. Revinora street lip seems to have good clearance to mount w/ splitter and still be flush. (read threads on customer service and heed at own risk FYI).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

IMO, I don't care for the look of the Challenge and it seems to hang way too low for practical purposes.

I like the look of the Revinora the best, but suspect it does the least in terms of reducing lift/increasing downforce. Akrym is the next best, IMO, and probably offers more actual aero.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll mount custom wind splitter on the bottom of the lips anyways. I need to make sure the lips makes the bottom of the car flat so that i can mount wind splitter, which is just big cf board. BTW, did you feel any difference after you installed sways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
IMO, I don't care for the look of the Challenge and it seems to hang way too low for practical purposes.

I like the look of the Revinora the best, but suspect it does the least in terms of reducing lift/increasing downforce. Akrym is the next best, IMO, and probably offers more actual aero.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

do you even need a lip?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Seems like Eric's car. I was told that lip is recommended since it fills the gap between splitter and bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
do you even need a lip?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This car really does have much better clearance compared to other M3's that i've seen on the track. Seems like CRT lip won't be a bad choice.

Quote:
do you even need a lip?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

yep it is eric's car....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungjungsc View Post
I'll mount custom wind splitter on the bottom of the lips anyways. I need to make sure the lips makes the bottom of the car flat so that i can mount wind splitter, which is just big cf board. BTW, did you feel any difference after you installed sways?
My bad. I misread your OP.

Have not taken it to the track since I got the sways, but it is definitely flatter in the turns on highway interchanges. There is an "S" curve bridge between two highways on my daily drive that I use to gauge things. I believe it is posted at 45 mph. I can take it comfortably at 84 mph whereas before 81-82 was pushing it. Very scientific, that.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

November 2nd, Buttonwillow 13 CW, Speed district. Will i see you there?

Quote:

Have not taken it to the track since I got the sways, but it is definitely flatter in the turns on highway interchanges. There is an "S" curve bridge between two highways on my daily drive that I use to gauge things. I believe it is posted at 45 mph. I can take it comfortably at 84 mph whereas before 81-82 was pushing it. Very scientific, that.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungjungsc

Quote:

are you going to that event? I've never run with district but have been planning to. every time they have an event im busy lol.

I'll try to get Eric and Roy out too.

hujan have you been to the track yet? i met you at benvos place when you got the mpe.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've been participating their Buttonwillow event all the time. I'll talk to Roy too.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's definitely doable. The weekend sessions are much easier to get to for those of us in SD.

Quote:
are you going to that event? I've never run with district but have been planning to. every time they have an event im busy lol.

I'll try to get Eric and Roy out too.

hujan have you been to the track yet? i met you at benvos place when you got the mpe.
What's up dude! I have. I popped my track cherry with the two-day BMW CCA event at Chuckwalla in March.

To be honest, I've always been a little reluctant to run with the Speed District events, because they seem to cater to much more experienced guys. I am very much a total newb, still.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not really. They still have Advance, Intermediate, and Beginner. Plus you can have passenger anytime, which means you can jump into anyone's car if they are okay. So, you can see and learn how fast drivers are driving. That's what i've been doing. It's a good track event in my opinion, much better than Speed Vxxxxxr Xtreme xxxx.

Quote:
That's definitely doable. The weekend sessions are much easier to get to for those of us in SD.

What's up dude! I have. I popped my track cherry with the two-day BMW CCA event at Chuckwalla in March.

To be honest, I've always been a little reluctant to run with the Speed District events, because they seem to cater to much more experienced guys. I am very much a total newb, still.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not really. They still have Advance, Intermediate, and Beginner. Plus you can have passenger anytime, which means you can jump into anyone's car if they are okay. So, you can see and learn how fast drivers are driving. That's what i've been doing. It's a good track event in my opinion, much better than Speed Vxxxxxr Xtreme xxxx.
i like speedventures - cheap, and they grid so i'm never in traffic anymore.

haven't run district but its more of a private track day where you can just flog it all day so that's nice.....there was a thread where folks in advanced should have been in beginner ha ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't mind SV either. I'm thinking of going for bimmerchallenge on Oct. 18-19. Haven't checked which day it is, but should be fun. Hopefully, instructing a beginner will make my fee cheaper..>.<
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This might be a solution, but still it has the gap + less surface covered to apr splitter. So tough...T.T

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ngjetta&page=2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another shot of revinora crt lip. I really seems like it will work out.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862066
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Here is mine. Aero Performance front lip with APR splitter. It's pretty low so not sure if you want to daily drive it in LA.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thx for your input Joe. However, it really seems like it's sitting low. However, i am also concerned about balance between the wing (APR GT250 67") and the front splitter. It's a tough job, since even with APR front splitter and gt4 style lip, several ppl whom i met on track told me their car is understeering. So tough to find balance aero package...T.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@trinityautosport View Post
Here is mine. Aero Performance front lip with APR splitter. It's pretty low so not sure if you want to daily drive it in LA.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Quote:
Thx for your input Joe. However, it really seems like it's sitting low. However, i am also concerned about balance between the wing (APR GT250 67") and the front splitter. It's a tough job, since even with APR front splitter and gt4 style lip, several ppl whom i met on track told me their car is understeering. So tough to find balance aero package...T.T
No problem. I have the gt250 wing as well. I keep the angle to flat and it still helps with the rear down force and I don't get understeer anymore.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Joe, let me know when you will be at the shop once. I might drop by after my busy season, which is Oct, 15th. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@trinityautosport View Post
No problem. I have the gt250 wing as well. I keep the angle to flat and it still helps with the rear down force and I don't get understeer anymore.

Appreciate 0