BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Review: REVINORA Race Exhaust (visual/audio)

With a Meisterschaft GT on my 08’ sedan (w/ Evolve NA tune) for about 3 years, I was ready for something new, and I was growing a bit bored. It wasn’t that I disliked the Meisterschaft system, in ANY way what-so-ever, it was just time for something.., different. I LOVED my MS system, in stock x-pipe form. After adding a Challenge Race X (catless), I found it a bit too loud, in volume only. Sound tone, it’s perfectly magical. Volume levels made me feel self-conscious on the road. I was looking for something deeper, something throatier. Gintani was an obvious option. But, I had heard one before, and for no reason I could explain, I didn’t want one.

I saw and heard a system at MFEST V that still had me puzzled. It was a system with a divided muffler design. Super unique, and SUPER sik looking. I spoke to someone in the booth, and when I asked the name of the system, he told me “Ocean”. Seemed like a very strange name to the system at the time, but after all, they were based out of CA. He fired up a matte Melbourne Red E92 for me. At first spoken-word from the back-end of it, I buckled at the waist, hands to the knees. WOW. I wanted it. I needed it. He had no printed materials, but wrote down the web address for me. Not looking at what he wrote at the time, and losing it over a long weekend in Vegas, I had no idea who she was, and where she was from (insert: Serendipity). With “ocean” returning no search results, I stumbled across a thread in the sponsor area of a similar looking, similarly SIK system, almost a year later. Revinora?? Further searching revealed a connected name of “Oshin”. Oh, I get it now (haha)! I could find almost nothing about Revinora, and perhaps only a couple videos. No system installs that I was aware of, and only a single vendor in the sponsor area even offering them for sale - who, after contacting, was no longer selling them. Humm. So, I contacted Revinora directly, and after a short conversation with Oshin about the system, I ordered one up!

The 3-week estimated production time was going to kill me! 3 weeks had past and I made contact with them to check status. Still in production. Ok, I’ll give it another week or 2. Still in production. I was growing inpatient. Oshin was great with communicating with me, always staying in touch, and always returning my calls. So, at least I had that going for me. However, sadly, 9 weeks passed and my system finally ships. 1 more week, shipping USPS, it arrives at my office. Packaging was a mess, a disaster of a wrap/protection effort on Revinora’s part. A total of 3 feet of bubble wrap in one box, and 1 foot in the other. Pathetic I thought. Super light-weight boxes, flimsy. Both box-ends were busted thru and the exhaust tips had scratches/scuffs on them. What a wreck. Let’s get them home.

Unwrapped and de-sticky’d with Goof-off (yup, packing tape directly on the stainless material – bloody hell!), I laid them out. They really are beautiful pieces. I placed them up on my entertainment cabinet to take a few photos and was tempted to leave them as a decoration to my family room. They REALLY are quite pretty to look at. Fantastic looking material. Beautiful welds. Unusual and unique muffler design. The tips are enormous and monstrous looking. 90 mm straight-cut, single, thin-wall design. My buddy fit his entire arm into the tip, up to his elbow. Incredibly massive looking. I also really love, which you don’t see enough of, the non-polished finish. The brushed stainless look is gorgeous, and much easier to keep clean. It’s a shame these things get hidden under the back of a car and will certainly not look this good in a day’s time. Fit and finish was remarkable.

Install was VERY easy. The 2-piece system made it a snap. The system is very light, however, I didn’t weigh it. Tips are not adjustable, and by the length that they stick out from beneath the bumper, I’m fairly certain this is an E92 version. I don’t care for the overly flush look to the bumper that most E90 systems have, so this doesn’t bother me one bit. Everything lined up wonderfully. All hangers and brackets had perfect placement. Adjustment was simple and soon it was ready to listen to.

A quick push of the button and I was very happy. Deep, throaty – something you could feel in your chest immediately. I was very pleased.

I took it out for a quick run up the street. Low-speed interior volume was a bit more than I expected. It envelopes the cabin, and your head, quite intensely. But it seems to only occur at very low-RPM and very low-speed. Something you’d only notice tooling around a Wal-mart parking lot, or escaping from a stop-light. Once over 2000, maybe 2500 RPM, it disappears. I immediately attribute much of this to my X-pipe. In stock X form, I imagine much of this doesn’t exist. But, there’s no way of knowing, for me. 2500 RPM+, it sounds amazing. Again, very deep and rich up to about 6000, then it begins to sing something far more exotic, with a hint of rasp. A subtle rasp though. Nothing like the MS, but a great balance of volume, grunt, and smoker’s whisper (haha). It’s really nice to listen to. Freeway speeds and RPMs are very comfortable and cause no obstruction to normal conversation. Getting beyond the uncomfortable 0-2500 mark, however, is going to take a little time.

A big positive impression comes from the performance. Now with no dyno to share, I speak only from my ass on this one. It is impressive. The mid-range, up to high-rev, the power and pull is VERY noticeable. This surprised me as I was coming from an aftermarket system already, not as if coming from that horrible stock OEM anchor. So, to notice something so obvious was very surprising, and again, impressive. Power feels smoother, and a bit more linear than before (running the Evolve NA tune already). Well done Revinora, well done!

Living with it for a couple weeks, it began to settle in a bit. The low-rpm discomfort had subsided slightly I noticed, but was something I was still concerned about. I gave Revinora a call. Oshin offered to ship out to me, at no cost, some “silencers” of sort to install in the 2 centermost tips. It required a small hole to be drilled on each side and small screw to attach and hold the insert. They are very discreet, very simple, and, happily, very effective. The low RPM drone was nearly.., entirely rather, gone. What a wonderful thing. All.., most of, the mid-to-high RPM sound is also still intact. I was very pleased, and very grateful for Oshin’s attention to the issue and immediate response to my concern.

Although, with a small amount of discomfort coming from knowing 2 of the 4 exhaust tips are non-functional now (insert: OCD), I’m pleased with the volume level, the tone, the interior comfort, and exterior beauty. On some days I miss the anger and rawness of the Meisterschaft. But, I realize that it is 2 completely different systems that I desire, and sadly only 1 can be had at 1 time. Much like the desire to have 3 or 4 sets of wheels installed at one time. One set, one look, one sound, one system just simply doesn’t satisfy all my desires. The Revinora does a good job at satisfying a lot of them though.

http://revinora.com/

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]

Last edited by REP1KRR; 07-02-2012 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Nice... Looks good, sounds good. But $2400 is a bit much for some glasspacks and pipe bends.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
Nice... Looks good, sounds good. But $2400 is a bit much for some glasspacks and pipe bends.
I have this exhaust and its stainless packed and is mandrel bent lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

If this is toned down, your last system must have been window shattering.
      07-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Doesn't sound bad. However I'm not much of a fan of the looks...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Doesn't sound bad. However I'm not much of a fan of the looks...
+1! Sticks out too much IMHO. Cut it off a little and we're good.

I'm not trying to be funny, but you can trip on the exhaust when walking behind the M3 in the garage.

It will be more dangerous after a long drive. You might trip on and get burnt legs at the same time.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
+1! Sticks out too much IMHO. Cut it off a little and we're good.

I'm not trying to be funny, but you can trip on the exhaust when walking behind the M3 in the garage.

It will be more dangerous after a long drive. You might trip on and get burnt legs at the same time.
I think it's meant to fit the e92 thats why.... but just a guess
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
It sounds really good, but I just can't stand the part where it really sticks out the rear. An inch taken off the 4 exhaust outlets would definitely make me one happy camper.

However, doing that might change the sound and create drone. Hmm, I have to ask Revinora or a vendor if that would affect the exhaust's dynamics.

Btw anyone who has knowledge on that, please feel free to chime in.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3
Quote:
It sounds really good, but I just can't stand the part where it really sticks out the rear. An inch taken off the 4 exhaust outlets would definitely make me one happy camper.

However, doing that might change the sound and create drone. Hmm, I have to ask Revinora or a vendor if that would affect the exhaust's dynamics.

Btw anyone who has knowledge on that, please feel free to chime in.
I highly doubt that it will cause a difference. Or if it does I doubt it will be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
I highly doubt that it will cause a difference. Or if it does I doubt it will be noticeable.
That's what I thought as well man!

Thanks for the input.

-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
MumfordLa
Rep
Drives: aodi

your last system must have been window shattering.
      07-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
REP1KRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post

I haven't found the extra 2" to pose any physical threat or risk.

Quote:
You are correct. As I mentioned in the write-up, I'm certain it is an E92 version. I believe Revinora only offers an E92 version. I really like the long tips, however they look exagerated in the photos. Like anything, real-person, they look longer than any E90 exhaust, for sure, but not extreme. I love the look. Personal preference, that's all. Any E92 owner would be thrilled with the length. It's not unusual on an E92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumfordLa View Post
your last system must have been window shattering.
Yeah, it was pretty intense! Anyone running a catless X with the Meisterschaft GT or GT2 would definitely know what I mean.

The Revinora is very deep, very throaty, so it takes away some of the high-volume effect.

M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
REP1KRR
Rep

Dyno video taken from Revinora.com -

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

"Although, with a small amount of discomfort coming from knowing 2 of the 4 exhaust tips are non-functional now"

why?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

wow, this is too beautiful, some serious welds on this .