BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

01-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #111
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

As far as the ZCP is concerned, I think i'll stick with getting coil-overs, a BBK, and exhaust for my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
And you will not. It is a built to order product- hand built by ///M in Garching, each car is paid in full then completed costs around 150k Euros after VAT. The only market it is available in currently is Germany and the first car will not be completed until around March- April. Some other countries will see it offered this summer.

As a wise man once said -the GTS is a series of one offs...
-M
So no journalist reviews? Good luck with that one BMW, PorscheFTMFW (except when it comes to dead batteries in the 996TT)
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #112
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's a distinct possibility, although I do wonder if the M1 will take over the position currently held by the M3 in motorsports. Despite the M3's growing size, it still provides the platform for homolongation for a number of race series. If that role is kept in tact with the F32, it could continue to be the central focus of the M Division.

I should add, also keep in mind the E89 M1 will be a very short run. The F2x 1 series should arrive in 2013 or so, and thus the first generation M1 might not have a lot of momentum. With the second generation product, however, this should change.
Agreed. I believe the M3 will continue to carry the flag in ALMS and other endurance racing. However, I can see the M1 taking over in the major touring car series that BMW currently competes.
      01-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #113
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I like how this thread turns to a "I will make my own ZCP"

I think I can turn mine into a ZCP M3 in frozen gray with ease.

Good job BMW.
      01-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #114
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Oh thanks gentlemen (and MRakete), it's still exciting (for me anyways) to have this officially on the books.

Therefore, I'll be confirming contents and ordering my E92 next week (just waiting for a package from Germany with paint, trim and interior samples to see them together in person rather than electronically). I'm tentatively going to be scheduled for April production (although ZCP packages do start in March as you've all reported) but that's because of the Individual stuff I've specified over and above the Comp. Pkg - which add an extra 10 weeks to the process. This is my fault because I've been so damned undecisive about certain things and keep asking for changes. Serves me right but oh well. I expect to have the Cdn pricing for ZCP when I order so I'll let you guys know what it is if it hasn't already been released (U.S. pricing will be similar - aka a little less - no doubt).

The bad news for ZCP......no special colors at this time. And aajami, I'm really sorry about this one.....no sport exhaust option.

As well, ZCP packages will get the regular 19" M3 tires (flavor of the day). I had a big techical discussion with BMW about why I couldn't get the Pirelli Corsa's in the larger GTS sizes.....and lost. To make a long story short, I was told the tires "wouldn't work quite right" with our regular M3's. Yes, quite alot of you have "upped" your tire/wheel sizes without any ill effects but remember that BMW the company has to keep things pretty generic especially for a mass production car like the M3 ZCP. Also, the offsets for the GTS wheels haven't been finalized for production so they may in fact be different when the GTS is finally ready to go. So I've given up....and frankly I'd rather deal with more mundane things like choosing a paint color.....but that's Ok, no big deal.

Speaking of color again, Frozen Grey will be available shortly for those of you who'd like it but according to a fellow Cdn poster "Mr. D." who is doing something similar to me and dealing with the same people in Germany, North America apparently has to wait until a "U.K. only" special edition run of Frozen Greys are produced. BMW will be committing full paint production capacity to the British cars commencing in March. August production was what was suggested for North American availability for Frozen Grey. Well I never!!!

But here's something for you guys who love the matte look. Sounds like there's more to come!! I was told that BMW wanted to offer matte COLORS for the ZCP right away but "they" were still being tested. Hmmm, seeing as Frozen Grey is already out there, looks like alternatives will be available in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed.

All in all, I think it's great that BMW is offering a few changes here and there before this car goes away in 2012 or 13. Makes life interesting!!

Regards, Mark
Mark- thanks for the info as it appears Canada is letting some info out!

In our discussions with Adrian VH- head of design he told us that he has a matte black ///M3 currently and it is being tested for repairability- if the color can be replicated for a repair. There are other colors being tested as well- a white, gold and matte orange in addition to the Frozen grey which seems to be ready for primetime already.

BMW is fond of this matte finish but expect a premium for all the R&D.

-M
      01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #115
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post

As for the wheels...they WILL be wider - 9" front, 10" rear which is another reason why I wasn't following BMW's reasoning for the Pirelli tires. But again, I lost that fight. No matter, I love the GTS style wheels, what I've wanted since I started this trek a year ago. A part of my specs include the black GTS wheels but they're not going into production until June. And I can't wait any longer (two more months would kill me) so they're giving me the silver GTS wheels as a part of the Comp. Pkg and then sending me the black set later. Thought that was fantastic of them to offer and it'll solve my summer/winter tire dilemma (we need such things as winter tires here unfortunately). Best of both worlds I guess.

Take care - Mark
So to clarify, they're increasing the width of the wheels by a half inch, but keeping the tire sizes the same for ZCP, but increasing the tire size to accommodate the GTS?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #116
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

In our discussions with Adrian VH- head of design he told us that he has a matte black ///M3 currently and it is being tested for repairability- if the color can be replicated for a repair. There are other colors being tested as well- a white, gold and matte orange in addition to the Frozen grey which seems to be ready for primetime already.

-M
I too like the matte finish look but I really wonder about durability and repairability as mentioned. Minor scratches and scuffs that can be polished would seemingly not be so easily dealt with on a matte finish car. Unless there is a matte finish touch up spray of some sort?
      01-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #117
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I'd honestly be scared to drive a matte painted car only in fear of Rock chips and little marks that the car would pick up, especially since I daily drive mine, as far as the comp package. If you really think about it 4500 for the drop and rims isnt extremely bad considering how much zcp rims were selling for when that package was first released, I hope there are some other differences but if not I don't see this package being that exciting that I would consider trading my car in
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #118
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
ZCP with just the following for 4-5k extra is NOT WORTH it:
- Exclusive wheels: 19" - Style 359M - Y-Spoke
- Lower suspension (-10mm)
- New SPORT mode for EDC
- alcantara interior tidbits

M division, pls add:
- exhaust upgrade
- beefier front brakes

then it'll be worth it!! BUT YES LETS WAIT FOR MORE INFO
+1

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #119
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

oh man, the zcp sounds like a bit of a disappointment to me personally... hopefully it's like only 2.5k USD more then it'll be a better deal.
      01-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #120
mrkbbd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 Mercedes E63AMG  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
So there will be 4 settings on the EDC or will the sport mode by closer to 90% stiffness all the time instead of 75%?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #121
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
The competition package on my 2006 e46 m3 ZCP was a $4K option. I am guessing zcp on the e92 m3 is going to fall into the 4500-5000 range. for what you get its not worth it...the only thing I though was truly worth the money on my zcp was the steering rack.
I highly doubt bmw will fit the car with a quality BBK or sport exhaust. The best you can expect is the 135i brakes, and they arent any better than the single piston brakes bmw uses...aweful on the track in fact. A true quality high end BKK, like brembo, is 99.99% not going to happen. It would be very costly if added to the package.
yeah you're right a real BBK will be too much money and not mass producable in this regard, maybe just maybe we'll get updated front brakes like in the E46 M3 ZCP?
      01-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #122
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
So no journalist reviews? Good luck with that one BMW
Do not worry the automedia will be making the trip to Garching very soon and to drive and experience the car(s) for themselves.
The M3 GTS will also be a highlight at the M display @ the BMW stand @ Geneva in March.

Quote:
I'd honestly be scared to drive a matte painted car only in fear of Rock chips and little marks that the car would pick up, especially since I daily drive mine,
Do not worry there, If you listen to the Bimmerfile site Podcast you can hear the results regarding Adrian Van HooyDunk' Matte Black M3 Coupe. and how they are testing the finish by damaging the car.
Which is true because it continues with the BMW test everything philosophy. A man stands with a clipboard where the car is reversed and scraped along surfaces such as brick, lamp post , another car , roughcasting , loose gravel track etc.
It will be very thoroughly tested before committed for production and that includes aftersales repairs and accessories such as paint sticks etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #123
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Gents, I've put through my 2011 M3 ZCP order, for April Delivery, and I can confirm the following:

1. 19" GTS Wheels but in Silver
2. EDC Upgrade
3. 10MM Lower Springs

Its priced at approx. $4500 Canadian IIRC.

Few more notes -- as Mark and I have been sharing our dialogue with BMW Canada:

1. Frozen Grey is available, but not until August Production, as the UK has all of the Frozen Grey spots until then. Apparently, in March, the UK will receive a Frozen Grey edition..don't know the contents except colour.

2. Black Trim (Grill, Exhaust, etc) from the 2010 Edition Model is NOT available..the supplier ended production and they won't do one-offs anymore. I pressed and pressed, but no dice..

3. Black GTS wheels ARE available, but not until August production (IE after the GTS are delivered to customers)

4. Other note: I tried ordering the BMW Performance seats as an individual item, to no avail.

Hope this helps everyone..
Regarding your point number (2).....What the hell is going on???? I've sent you a PM, same title. Le'me know when you can.

And PS....congrats. I'll be ordering mine next week. Thanks for the pricing info brother!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #124
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
I would gladly pay and extra 4K for interior upgrades and better paint options for my around town driving.
nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #125
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:

-M
Oh you're welcome. And man would I love a matte finished car, truly something unique. But I've been plodding about the web looking for anything I could find on upkeep, etc.....everything you've discussed. Washing sounds easy....soap and water. But for other stuff.....yikes I don't know???
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #126
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

im not necessarily worried about repairing more then i am the abuse the car will see on a daily basis, if it was weekend car i wouldnt be concerned but yes the matte finish is amazing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #127
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Based on what I've read, what the M3 seems to need more than an actual set of bigger brakes (which most reviewers have raved about) is better cooling for the ones it has. On all BMWs (and pretty much any other car I've ever looked at) there are brake cooling ducts integrated in the front bumper. In the E9x M3, all the air going into the front bumper is routed to cool and feed that big V8. The GTS has a revised bumper which has brake cooling ducts so I would be surprised if they weren't added as part of the ZCP since the main issue people have with the brakes is their tendency to overheat and fade on the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #128
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I would be willing to get into some serious debt if BMW offered the new ZCP with GTS Aero upgrades and suspension alone. A good BBK is probably a long shot. Give this to me in white with black GTS wheels and I will get back into a E92 M3!

Jason
      01-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #129
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Do not worry the automedia will be making the trip to Garching very soon and to drive and experience the car(s) for themselves.
The M3 GTS will also be a highlight at the M display @ the BMW stand @ Geneva in March.

Do not worry there, If you listen to the Bimmerfile site Podcast you can hear the results regarding Adrian Van HooyDunk' Matte Black M3 Coupe. and how they are testing the finish by damaging the car.
Which is true because it continues with the BMW test everything philosophy. A man stands with a clipboard where the car is reversed and scraped along surfaces such as brick, lamp post , another car , roughcasting , loose gravel track etc.
It will be very thoroughly tested before committed for production and that includes aftersales repairs and accessories such as paint sticks etc.
Scott- Thanks for the plug!, and Adrian seemed impressed with the stuff so far...

-M
      01-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #130
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

some more info;

BMW is making another hardcore M3 coupe. The Competition Package will be launched in March and will doubtless be seen as a modern-day M3 CSL by many people.

And we’re inclined to count ourselves among them – there are a number of dynamic tweaks that should make this sharper and more dynamic than the regular V8-engined E92 M3, and a much more dynamically-honed car than the recent M3 Edition.

There’s a 10mm suspension drop and new electronic damper control, the combination of which ‘improves upon the standard car’s already agile handling making for a more exciting and dynamic drive’, according to BMW sources. Sounds like grand news to us. As does improved stability control, which we’d expect to make the rear-drive M3 even more playful when in Competition spec.

Sadly the engine will be untouched, with power, torque and acceleration identical to those of the regular 4-litre M3 two-door. That means 414bhp (at a heady 8300rpm) and 295lb ft of torque alongside a 4.8sec sprint to 60mph and a limited 155mph top speed.

There aren’t any pictures of the new car just yet, it being based on the refreshed M3 that’s still due to be revealed. We’ve been told there’s a new, lighter set of 19in alloy wheels, which BMW says are inspired by the E46 CSL, while some subtle aerodynamic adornments are expected.

Specifying a Competition Package M3 will add £3315 to the Coupe’s price, the regular car costing £52,730. That means a £56K M3. The E46 CSL cost £58K when new, but justified its near-911 price tag with upped performance and significant weight shedding. We’ll see if the M3 CP can win us over too when it gets its likely Geneva motor show unveil in March.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...sl_coming.html
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #131
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
And we’re inclined to count ourselves among them – there are a number of dynamic tweaks that should make this sharper and more dynamic than the regular V8-engined E92 M3, and a much more dynamically-honed car than the recent M3 Edition.

There’s a 10mm suspension drop and new electronic damper control, the combination of which ‘improves upon the standard car’s already agile handling making for a more exciting and dynamic drive’, according to BMW sources.
For once, I'd like them to address the static performance of the car for god sake.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #132
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

looks cool....but I'll stick with simple mods and stuff...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread