BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #45
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got an idea.

Lets see a M3 DCT owner put his money were his mouth is.

Race for pink slips.

C63 vs. M3 DCT, stock vs. stock. Best 3 out of 5 races.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #46
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
I got an idea.

Race for pink slips.

I am not sure where the C63 insecurity is coming from? Who is saying the M3 is faster?

Also, is your bet for a track with turns ?
      09-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #47
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I am not sure where the C63 insecurity is coming from? Who is saying the M3 is faster?
Insecurity? Wouldn't I have to own one to be insecure. I am a BMW guy.

Quote:
Also, is your bet for a track with turns ?
Nope, exactly how Gustav is running these cars.

Just laying out the guanlet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #48
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

If a C63 wants to meet up I am game.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #49
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
If a C63 wants to meet up I am game.
Where is Hans? Someone PM him, he is located in Huntington Beach.

I am sure you can find someone on the other MB forums. It should not be hard at all. If you are serious I will post on their forums for a competitor.

Did you ever run against your friends M5?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #50
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I am sure you can find someone on the other MB forums. It should not be hard at all. If you are serious I will post on their forums for a competitor.

Of course I am game, I just want to make sure it is a stock car I am running. I am a member of MBWorld, there is a Benz in the garage I don't want to go looking for a race but whatever, if someone would like to run that is fine.

Yes, I ran him, but it wasn't fair, I did not even bother to post. He has 20's and once again there were passengers so I beat him soundly, from the freeway roll and especially from a stop.

I have another friend who is still on stock wheels but I think he has carbon filters removed. Either way, it needs to be a one vs. one and when I run him it will be the best representation.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #51
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Sticky comments on wanting to know the other car is stock basically proves to me how flawed T Bone's insistence of using M5Board video events as proof positive. All their videos prove is that the two cars in question in eah race that there is a winner and that is it, not whether they are stock or anything.

Gustav, even pointed out as much in his on comments.

The facts are that all of the C63 is almost every controlled tested (magazine) the C63 is quicker, though as of yet no M-DCT vs C63 has been conducted to the best of my knowledge. The point is that up to the 150mph mark the C63 is over 2 seconds quicker and in the only test I know of where the M3 MT and DCT have been tested together the manual was slower to the 120mph mark but regained the advantage after this point and was quicker to the 150mph mark.

Likewise the controlled tests of the RS4 show that though it IS slower than the M3, the gap is in the tenths of a second to the 150mph mark and not in the seconds as the M5Board events videos show. If you were to believe them as gospel then Quattro does saps huge amounts of power but I know from experience that when two pretty equally power cars meet (awd vs rwd) the difference is still very much so driver dependent.

Maybe T Bone needs to see pass his BWM bias and live in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #52
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
I got an idea.

Race for pink slips.

High my name is Vin, is your name Paul?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #53
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
High my name is Vin, is your name Paul?
lol ...

honestly though i think just race guys ... no pink slips ... was suppose to get a C63 also, and would love to see how the dct fairs against it ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #54
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
lol ...

honestly though i think just race guys ... no pink slips ... was suppose to get a C63 also, and would love to see how the dct fairs against it ...
I don't think that was really a serious option, racing for pinks. But I would love to see a stock M3 vs a stock C63 (both cars as near standard spec) as possible, just to confirm whether the opinion that the C63 is way faster is correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #55
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sticky comments on wanting to know the other car is stock basically proves to me how flawed T Bone's insistence of using M5Board video events as proof positive. All their videos prove is that the two cars in question in eah race that there is a winner and that is it, not whether they are stock or anything.

Gustav, even pointed out as much in his on comments.

The facts are that all of the C63 is almost every controlled tested (magazine) the C63 is quicker, though as of yet no M-DCT vs C63 has been conducted to the best of my knowledge. The point is that up to the 150mph mark the C63 is over 2 seconds quicker and in the only test I know of where the M3 MT and DCT have been tested together the manual was slower to the 120mph mark but regained the advantage after this point and was quicker to the 150mph mark.

Likewise the controlled tests of the RS4 show that though it IS slower than the M3, the gap is in the tenths of a second to the 150mph mark and not in the seconds as the M5Board events videos show. If you were to believe them as gospel then Quattro does saps huge amounts of power but I know from experience that when two pretty equally power cars meet (awd vs rwd) the difference is still very much so driver dependent.

Maybe T Bone needs to see pass his BWM bias and live in the real world.

Footie, perhaps you need help with the English language....

The M5board videos show the exact results of any given race no matter who wins. There is no bias.

In the case of the MDCT vs. C63, it is universally accepted that the C63 is faster. The C63 could have lost for a whole host of reasons in the videos.

In the RS4 (again you bring up Audi), it loses universally, against BMWs, MBs and even trucks. There are enough M5board videos of the RS4 getting spanked that it eliminates the odd bad run.

Just for your reading impairment:
  • M5board videos = unbias
  • C63 is univerally faster than M3
  • RS4 gets killed by M3, MB, SUVs.
      09-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #56
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
lol ...

+1 I would love to see how the C63 fairs against the M3!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #57
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Footie, perhaps you need help with the English language.... I actually use proper English, unlike you, i.e. tyre instead tire.

The M5board videos show the exact results of any given race no matter who wins. There is no bias. Please read my reply to Gustav, you will see I have readjusted my position on whether they are bias or not.

In the case of the MDCT vs. C63, it is universally accepted that the C63 is faster. The C63 could have lost for a whole host of reasons in the videos.
So you are saying that on this occasion the results of this M5Board video isn't gospel. Now that is an amazing turn around for you.

In the RS4 (again you bring up Audi), it loses universally, against BMWs, MBs and even trucks. There are enough M5board videos of the RS4 getting spanked that it eliminates the odd bad run. The facts are that only in these videos from M5Board events does Quattro cars lose by such a large gap and I even proved as much with the 3.0TDiQuattro vs 530d video, two cars with identical power+torque figures and near identical weights. I don't recall you commenting on that one.

Just for your reading impairment:
  • M5board videos = unbias Maybe, but they are not controlled
  • C63 is univerally faster than M3 It's definitely my opinion anyway
  • RS4 gets killed by M3, MB, SUVs. Only in M5Board events
P.S.
Univerally is spelt with an S = Universally.

English man, English.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #58
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hans (our best C63 AMG convert/board participant) and I live within an hour or so of each other and my office is about 20 minutes from her house. I would be down for some race experimentation but would certainly like a safe place not to go to jail doing it.... Hans??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #59
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hans (our best C63 AMG convert/board participant) and I live within an hour or so of each other and my office is about 20 minutes from her house. I would be down for some race experimentation but would certainly like a safe place not to go to jail doing it.... Hans??
Glorious.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #60
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I ran another friends M5 tonight and got it on video (seems like all my friends have M5's). His M5 is modded, with Dinan gears, software, intake, and exhaust along with HRE C20's. I'll have the video up probably by the end of the week if I am not too busy. I think it will open some eyes as to the M3 DCT capability.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #61
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Sticky,

I take it that from the above comments that your M3 did quite well.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #62
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sticky,

I take it that from the above comments that your M3 did quite well.
Shockingly well... the run from a stop really shows the difference between the quality of launch control on the M3 with DCT vs. SMG.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #63
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Shockingly well... the run from a stop really shows the difference between the quality of launch control on the M3 with DCT vs. SMG.

I'm looking forward to sampling the LC for myself, but I still will stay clear of any C63s or RS4s for now as I still have doubts if the M3 will win below the 120mph marker.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #64
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking forward to sampling the LC for myself, but I still will stay clear of any C63s or RS4s for now as I still have doubts if the M3 will win below the 120mph marker.
No reason to, with launch control the C63 will be playing catch up and the RS4 driver better know how to launch the AWD perfectly. Even just flooring it out of 1st in MDM is a great way to launch.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #65
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Thanks for the propers swamp.... and I don't want to poop on the party but I don't think this would really prove anything. I've run every possible scenario of outcomes in my head (which we know is the perfect place to run simulations ) and it's always going to come down to the driver. Therefore, it's not going to prove anything about the cars except what happens when swamp in an M-DCT M3 races Hans in a C63. Seriously, any data is going to be different for any two other cars with two other drivers in a different venue.

These cars are just too close acceleration-wise. It's a driver's "race" IMO. The only legitimate place to do this would be on a dragstrip. And while I claim a mild amount of skill in launching a manual... I claim no skill with an automatic. I could have a friend of mine drive my car down the strip, but again, I don't know what this will prove beyond what we've already read in the ragazines. The M-DCT is a formidable car in a straight line and I have never claimed the C63 to be faster (unless the DCT is stalling or limping ) If I did line up with one, I would report any results here but it would have to be a chance occurance. An arranged event has way too much potential for 20,000 hits on the thread, 40,000 assumptions about the results and even more publicity about our driving skills/cars than I think either swamp or I would want.

09-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #66
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Thanks for the propers swamp.... and I don't want to poop on the party but I don't think this would really prove anything. I've run every possible scenario of outcomes in my head (which we know is the perfect place to run simulations ) and it's always going to come down to the driver. Therefore, it's not going to prove anything about the cars except what happens when swamp in an M-DCT M3 races Hans in a C63. Seriously, any data is going to be different for any two other cars with two other drivers in a different venue.

These cars are just too close acceleration-wise. It's a driver's "race" IMO. The only legitimate place to do this would be on a dragstrip. And while I claim a mild amount of skill in launching a manual... I claim no skill with an automatic. I could have a friend of mine drive my car down the strip, but again, I don't know what this will prove beyond what we've already read in the ragazines. The M-DCT is a formidable car in a straight line and I have never claimed the C63 to be faster (unless the DCT is stalling or limping ) If I did line up with one, I would report any results here but it would have to be a chance occurance. An arranged event has way too much potential for 20,000 hits on the thread, 40,000 assumptions about the results and even more publicity about our driving skills/cars than I think either swamp or I would want.

A very good set of points and a agree. I have only been to the strip a few times. So my ability to launch a MT or AT is nowhere near a professional (nor even ameteur) racer. Heck I have had lots of trouble with launch control in my M-DCT which should be dummy proof.

Although I agree much of any head to head testing would demonstrate more about driver skill than vehicle. However, if we did some rolling starts, timed things well and left both cars in automatic mode we should be able to tell more about the cars than us as drivers. The more empirical evidence the better. I do reiterate that as willing as I would be to do this I am not willing to risk license and jail time. If it was done not at a real strip it would really have to be private property or the middle of nowhere.

Have a think about it. I'd still like to, would be fun. We could switch cars again as well, which would be a hoot.

Appreciate 0