BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Time Capsule

This thread is not intended to flames or arguments, I'm just throwing out an idea and want to hear your thoughts on this.

Considering the fact that the E92 M3 is the last of its breed (and we talked about this to death) has anyone considered building a time capsule and putting one in there. Here's what I mean:

Barret Jackson is auctioning off cars that are rare and meant something to someone back in the day. In a sense this is "our" muscle car. The demographic of many M3 owners right now are 30+ who enjoy and apreciate the car. In 50 years, you'll all be old (sorry for the punn) and there will not be anymore "muscle cars" made. For many of us, 50 years from now if we have a chance to buy a 2013 E92 M3 win 1.5 miles on the odometer, we will be `very excited`. I bet that in 50 years, the M3 will be worth of equivalent $300,000 right now. Who knows what it might actually be worth in the future due to inflation, blah blah blah.

BUT

If someone was to buy and store a E92 M3 (special edition something) in a enviromentally controlled container made of glass, or even in vacuum it would be one hot item on something like the Barret Jackson auction.

The cost involved would be the cost of the M3 - 80k or so, and the cost of the container and enviromental maintainance - maybe 20 - 30k.
Has anyone thought about this
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
I think the type and/or term "muscle car" changes over the years. Look how Mustangs and Corvettes evolved over the years.

Who's to say what the future will hold and what the standard of what a muscle car will be. Sure, there will be the traditionalists, but there will be a generation of 30 something year olds that will perhaps see things differently.

If someone wants to put a e9x M3 in a time capsule, more power to them and I'm sure BMW enthusiasts will admire it.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Who knows what the future holds. One could say this should have been done with the previous models. If someone wants to do this more power to them. This could either pay off or not. I however am going to enjoy my car in the current moment and drive the hell out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Didn't Austin powers already freeze vanilla ice. I dont think that one is gonna have a good roi. Lol.
      01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

if i had 80k lying around i would do it
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
canadian stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
This thread is not intended to flames or arguments, I'm just throwing out an idea and want to hear your thoughts on this.

Considering the fact that the E92 M3 is the last of its breed (and we talked about this to death) has anyone considered building a time capsule and putting one in there. Here's what I mean:

Barret Jackson is auctioning off cars that are rare and meant something to someone back in the day. In a sense this is "our" muscle car. The demographic of many M3 owners right now are 30+ who enjoy and apreciate the car. In 50 years, you'll all be old (sorry for the punn) and there will not be anymore "muscle cars" made. For many of us, 50 years from now if we have a chance to buy a 2013 E92 M3 win 1.5 miles on the odometer, we will be `very excited`. I bet that in 50 years, the M3 will be worth of equivalent $300,000 right now. Who knows what it might actually be worth in the future due to inflation, blah blah blah.

BUT

If someone was to buy and store a E92 M3 (special edition something) in a enviromentally controlled container made of glass, or even in vacuum it would be one hot item on something like the Barret Jackson auction.

The cost involved would be the cost of the M3 - 80k or so, and the cost of the container and enviromental maintainance - maybe 20 - 30k.
Has anyone thought about this
Vacuum storage? And that 20-30k would more likely be an ANNUAL cost! You're talking about some very strict environmental control storage, monitoring air temp, pressure, humidity, oxygen content, etc. That would require a lot of sensors, fans, filters, and computers to monitor that, along with a team of engineers to maintain and fix all the electronic gadgetry. All that because you're gambling on the possibility that in 50 years, some sucker will pay you $10 million for it and you will make a profit?

And how do you know we will even have roads in 50 years? Perhaps then cars will take off vertically and fly to their destination, and asphalt roads would be a thing of the past. In that case your literally "mint condition" M3 would sell cheaper than a can of soda.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
I'm expecting flying DeLoreans in 50 years
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
Vacuum storage? And that 20-30k would more likely be an ANNUAL cost! You're talking about some very strict environmental control storage, monitoring air temp, pressure, humidity, oxygen content, etc. That would require a lot of sensors, fans, filters, and computers to monitor that, along with a team of engineers to maintain and fix all the electronic gadgetry. All that because you're gambling on the possibility that in 50 years, some sucker will pay you $10 million for it and you will make a profit?

And how do you know we will even have roads in 50 years? Perhaps then cars will take off vertically and fly to their destination, and asphalt roads would be a thing of the past. In that case your literally "mint condition" M3 would sell cheaper than a can of soda.
And we will all walk around with phasers and travel in space ships. In that case the M3 would be worth more money.

I don't think my idea is solely focused on making cash. Its more of a unique history to look back at and enjoy something nostalgic. Certain 69 Mustangs will fetch ~200k because people want to own something unique. Imagine in the future, one of our forum members who once owned and enjoyed a Lime Rock Park Edition of the M3 sees a brand new E92 LRP edition on TV on Barret Jackson and he is filthy rich. I bet he would spend 3 times the sticker to own it again. Especially if all we'll be driving are electric cars with no soul.

I don't think it would cost 20k/year to maintain an enviromentally sound storage unit. I don't know for sure, but I can't be that bad. Build an air tight container, suck out the air and put a plug in the hole simple Or you can buy one of those "as seen on tv" space storage bags and a big vacuum and do it yourself. Heck, even those boat wraps should do the trick. Imagine that M3 in a condom.

Keep 'em coming.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

I don't know about all this babble but for my part, i am already sad that this car is going away and i only have 8,000 miles on it. i just can't believe a better car will ever be made. that's (another reason) why i savor every time i start that engine up. every single time is special
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Screw that! In 50 years I'll probably be nothing but a memory to my kids and grand kids. I'm enjoying what I have here and now!!
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
canadian stig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
And we will all walk around with phasers and travel in space ships. In that case the M3 would be worth more money.

I don't think my idea is solely focused on making cash. Its more of a unique history to look back at and enjoy something nostalgic. Certain 69 Mustangs will fetch ~200k because people want to own something unique. Imagine in the future, one of our forum members who once owned and enjoyed a Lime Rock Park Edition of the M3 sees a brand new E92 LRP edition on TV on Barret Jackson and he is filthy rich. I bet he would spend 3 times the sticker to own it again. Especially if all we'll be driving are electric cars with no soul.

I don't think it would cost 20k/year to maintain an enviromentally sound storage unit. I don't know for sure, but I can't be that bad. Build an air tight container, suck out the air and put a plug in the hole simple Or you can buy one of those "as seen on tv" space storage bags and a big vacuum and do it yourself. Heck, even those boat wraps should do the trick. Imagine that M3 in a condom.

Keep 'em coming.
You're also forgetting something. If the car isn't driven a single millimetre in 50 years and just keep it in a shrink wrap then the battery will be drained, the tires will lose air and flat spot and break apart, the gears in the tranny and diff, along with the engine pistons and crank will all dry out of oil and seize into each other, and the car would be an inoperable and undriveable piece of junk.

Why not just store it in one of those heated garages for those 50 years, and take it out for a spin every once in a while just to keep it in working condition? And then see what happens in 50 years. Of course I'll probably be dead by then. so if there was an afterlife and we met there, let me know how it went. And if there wasn't an afterlife, then I guess I wouldn't care about your project because I wouldn't even be existing anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

why don't you do a search to see how many cars in the last 50 years have appreciated in value compared to their original MSRP, in inflation-adjusted dollars. i am not talking about cars that have held their value well, i'm talking about cars that you would actually turn a profit on if you bought them new 50 years ago? remember that it has to be adjusted for inflation.

then take out your storage and maintenance expenses, and also think about the fact that if you can find a CD that pays you 3% a year, that $80k will be $350k in 50 years without needing to store a vehicle or take the risk that it depreciates. if you can beat that deal then go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
why don't you do a search to see how many cars in the last 50 years have appreciated in value compared to their original MSRP, in inflation-adjusted dollars. i am not talking about cars that have held their value well, i'm talking about cars that you would actually turn a profit on if you bought them new 50 years ago? remember that it has to be adjusted for inflation.

then take out your storage and maintenance expenses, and also think about the fact that if you can find a CD that pays you 3% a year, that $80k will be $350k in 50 years without needing to store a vehicle or take the risk that it depreciates. if you can beat that deal then go for it
THANK YOU!!!! Every time I see a thread like this I want to type this out, the problem is I'm too lazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Slowracer
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone E90 M3

That return on investment is not real good. But if someone wants to do it for the love of the machine...

You wonder if there will be proper fuel available in 50 years!

It's sing-along time, especially for our friends north of the U.S.:

"my uncle has a country place, that no one knows about. He said it used to be a farm, before the motor law....

down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me an old machine, for fifty-odd years. To keep as new has been his dearest dream..."
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

+1

For now, the only M3 that is appreciating in value is the E30. I don't recall the production numbers but it was far below the current E9x. Perhaps the only version that would have a chance (25+ years from now) would be the GTS edition. Otherwise I am with the others, if you own it, enjoy it for today. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

I love how everyone's looking at this in $ terms. The systematic brainwashing is almost complete :

pee ess: value exists outside of dollars and cents
      01-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
M3 production

E30=17,184 coupe, 784 vert
E36=46,525 coupe, 12,114 vert, 12,603 sedan
E46=54,723 coupe, 29,721 vert

-a year and 1/2 ago.....final TBD
E92=~24,000
E90=~6,700
E93=~8,900

You wanna put something in a time capsule? Get a 1M!
      01-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I don't know what the future holds, however, today there are only 2 BMW's on the 2013 Barret Jackson's list (see attached image). I have a 1987 BMW 535is that car at the time of sale in 1987 was only one step below the then M5. Our 1987 does has the bumpers from the M5 and some other M5 options. I have no clue what the car would get at Barret Jackson's auction not that we ever sell it it has too much sentimental value.

In general I think there is not too much interest at Barret Jackson for European cars considering the overwhelming American cars at the yearly Barret Jackson Auction.
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
canadian stig
Banned
Rep

I think too many people have an inflated sense of their car's worth. We're talking about a 3 series here, not some handmade italian exotic. 3 series, including m3, are a dime a dozen on the autotrader. It won't become a collectible just because it has a N/A engine, a high redline, high specific output, yadda yadda. 13 years ago honda made the s2000 with a N/A engine that revved to 9000 rpm, and made more hp and tq per litre than the m3 engine. should we also collect ap1 s2000 and shrinkwrap them so that we can sell them for a couple million bucks each 50 years from now?

Cars are an awful "investment" of money. Put your money into bonds or real estate instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Yea but a old muscle car is not a rolling computer. Any ol wrench will fix a carb. Try getting replacement electronics or tools to fix an ancient BMW computer when it stops working at 1200 miles in 2063. I guess you could try for a goodwill warranty claim......

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

I think a minty 1M would be better.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Yea but a old muscle car is not a rolling computer. Any ol wrench will fix a carb. Try getting replacement electronics or tools to fix an ancient BMW computer when it stops working at 1200 miles in 2063. I guess you could try for a goodwill warranty claim......
Great point. This car has a ton of sensors and gadgets that can break down. I can imagine some rich dude in 50 years getting pissed off that his seat belt keeps slipping off of the robot arm when handing him the seat belt. I love the convenience package, but it can be a hassle when it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0