BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
coolguy111
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

TPMS for used set of HRE P40??

Hey guys,

I tried looking through the threads to find relevant information, but kind of got overwhelmed. Don't know much about modding, wheels, etc... so any help would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a set of used hre p40 for my 2011 e92 m3 but the sponsor was not entirely sure if TPMS was already on the wheels (the wheels were off the previous owners car for a while). How can I check if the p40's came with TPMS?

If the wheels did infact have TPMS, how would I know if they were compatible with my 2011 car? If they weren't, would I have to purchase OEM TPMS or aftermarket ones? Thanks

If someone could give me some info, that'd be great!

-DK
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
No wheels come with TPMS so if they are on there, they were put on by the previous owner. You can check which ones you have by looking at the frequency listed on the TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy111
Hey guys,

I tried looking through the threads to find relevant information, but kind of got overwhelmed. Don't know much about modding, wheels, etc... so any help would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a set of used hre p40 for my 2011 e92 m3 but the sponsor was not entirely sure if TPMS was already on the wheels (the wheels were off the previous owners car for a while). How can I check if the p40's came with TPMS?

If the wheels did infact have TPMS, how would I know if they were compatible with my 2011 car? If they weren't, would I have to purchase OEM TPMS or aftermarket ones? Thanks

If someone could give me some info, that'd be great!

-DK
I'm guessing there are still tires on the car since you can't tell if there is TPMS installed.

One way to find out is remove a tire off one if the wheels. If it is there, check the frequency as THE TECH said and see if it matches your car.

Another is put the wheels or just one on your car and see if your car picks any signal up.

Lastly, I don't know how they configure the valve stem holes on HRE but the TPMS valves have a very specific stem. If you could take a pic, I could TRY to look at it and tell if it sticks out enough.
      08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

All the BMW's use the same frequency 433MHz so that will be the same on both versions of sensors, however they do have the OE part number printed on them. Another way to check (without removing the tire to see) is that most tire shops now have a scanner that can tell them which version sensor it is via RF.

If you could contact the seller, and if he has a 2010+ car it will work on your 2011.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
coolguy111
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

thanks for all the responses guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Protocav
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Have you tried the TPMS reset procedure to see if the car will read them? I got a set of track wheels and didn't know if the sensors were installed. I did the reset procedure and the car read the wheels within one block. Just hold the button on the dash down for 4 seconds and then drive.
Appreciate 0