BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
0_to_60
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Rough idle after Battery Registration with Carly App

Hey Guys, i never had any issues before until i performed a battery registration through Carly app. I installed a used good working oe agm battery with same specs and had no rough idle till i perfomed one. Heres what happened. I think i messed up or the app did by registering the battery while the engine was on and idle. I noticed the rpm and the sound of the engine changed, like your foot on the gas pedal. The engine sounded free. Now during idle, the car slightly drops rpm and vibrates the whole car, hesitating. I performed the battery registration again, while car is off and no difference. It is really annoying, the car feels rough at idle. Way to fix this? Ran a diagnostic with the app and no codes came up. I read on the forum about a brake booster issue. What you guys think? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_to_60 View Post
Hey Guys, i never had any issues before until i performed a battery registration through Carly app. I installed a used good working oe agm battery with same specs and had no rough idle till i perfomed one. Heres what happened. I think i messed up or the app did by registering the battery while the engine was on and idle. I noticed the rpm and the sound of the engine changed, like your foot on the gas pedal. The engine sounded free. Now during idle, the car slightly drops rpm and vibrates the whole car, hesitating. I performed the battery registration again, while car is off and no difference. It is really annoying, the car feels rough at idle. Way to fix this? Ran a diagnostic with the app and no codes came up. I read on the forum about a brake booster issue. What you guys think? Thanks
Hey 60, it's not as simple as the new battery need a good charge hence the generator is loaded bringing down the idling?
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I'm not familiar w/the intricacies of the Carly app, so bear with me.

If I'm not mistaken, battery registration tells the car that the battery is brand new, so that it knows to adjust the charge as the battery ages. You essentially installed a used battery and then told the car it was a new battery. Given that, I'm not sure what you can do outside of installing a new battery.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      10-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
0_to_60
Captain
Rep

Dam! i knew i should of not registered the battery, the car was acting fine when i installed the used battery. I thought by registering the battery the car will adapt to the current battery voltage and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey 60, it's not as simple as the new battery need a good charge hence the generator is loaded bringing down the idling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I'm not familiar w/the intricacies of the Carly app, so bear with me.

If I'm not mistaken, battery registration tells the car that the battery is brand new, so that it knows to adjust the charge as the battery ages. You essentially installed a used battery and then told the car it was a new battery. Given that, I'm not sure what you can do outside of installing a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
0_to_60
Captain
Rep

So why does the battery effect the performance of the car once its on, i thought the alternator takes over, or is the battery being used while on idle, once you hit the gas the alternator takes over?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Dam! i knew i should of not registered the battery, the car was acting fine when i installed the used battery. I thought by registering the battery the car will adapt to the current battery voltage and power.
You might want to hit up Mike Benvo and see if he can provide any add'l insight. He may know of add'l parameters that can be set to help you. But I'm thinking you're going to be off anyways as you don't know the usage rate of the new-to-you battery, and I'm not thinking that information is readily available.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2023, 03:49 PM   #7
triplecheeseburger
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

I mistakingly did the same thing. Rough idle but hesitation/misfires with no codes at 30% throttle. I know it's been a million years but what happened in your case? Did the battery coding do any damage? thanks

Quote:
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #8
triplecheeseburger
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

0_to_60 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:06 AM   #9
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Carly doesn’t work with our cars to register batteries. It may code them but registration doesn’t take. You can verify with inpa. There are a couple of threads proving this.
Appreciate 0