BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez E90

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
DCT Shift Lever Fault...

On my way home from Manhattan going up the West Side Highway, cruising in 7th gear, S5, and all of a sudden the gear selector goes dark. Dash and iDrive lit up with the shift lever icon, saying "Possible Selector Lever Fault, You can continue your journey, proceed with caution... etc."

First thought: not another god damn problem. Car just got back to me after a nightmare of engine issues 3 weeks ago.

Tried using the paddles, no response. The screen where it usually has the selected gear number is blank. Car is still in drive surprisingly, so I limp the rest of the way home. I pull in and try reverse, nothing. Neutral, nothing. Shut the car off, probably goes straight into park but after restarting minutes later, I now cant get it into ANY gear. 10 minutes go by and curious me decides to give it another restart, and I get an Service Engine Light and an engine icon on the dash (?!?!?), check the fault page and it says Increased Emissions (?!?!!?) This cant possibly be linked to the shift lever fault....

I have not a single clue as to why this is happening. My car was just in for engine warranty work (injector failure, leading to toasted plugs, contaminated oil with fuel, leading to a toasted VANOS solenoid, oil got into cylinders, leading to a bunch of oil being dumped into cats and exhaust).

Has anyone gotten this lever fault? It flat out wont work, like the entire mechanism is just off. Its obviously going to the dealer once again, but I couldnt find anything with the search.

Here are some pics I just took:

Name:  Adam's Windows Phone_20131010_22_00_14_Pro.jpg
Views: 7634
Size:  252.1 KB

Name:  Adam's Windows Phone_20131010_22_01_04_Pro.jpg
Views: 6439
Size:  261.3 KB

You can probably barely tell, but the LED's in the shift knob are off.

Name:  Adam's Windows Phone_20131010_22_00_56_Pro.jpg
Views: 6240
Size:  350.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 10.08.06 PM.png
Views: 7500
Size:  64.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Same thing happened to me a few months ago...

Was downshifting using the DCT shift lever on the freeway at night from 6->5 and got that alarm. Car still shifted on it's own, but paddles and lever weren't working. Limped home and parked her overnight. Next morning, error was gone and DCT was back to normal. I had it checked out at the dealer and they had to replace a faulty module. Was a pretty quick fix. Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
Same thing happened to me a few months ago...

Was downshifting using the DCT shift lever on the freeway at night from 6->5 and got that alarm. Car still shifted on it's own, but paddles and lever weren't working. Limped home and parked her overnight. Next morning, error was gone and DCT was back to normal. I had it checked out at the dealer and they had to replace a faulty module. Was a pretty quick fix. Good luck!!!
Did you remember getting an SES and Increased Emissions warning too?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by awong View Post
Did you remember getting an SES and Increased Emissions warning too?
There was definitely no Increased Emissions warning, but I'm running a tune so I'm not sure if that comes into play or not. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Spyris
Private
Rep
Drives: None

any updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyris View Post
any updates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
DCT Shift Lever Fault
Attachment 934168

MT Shift Lever Fault
Attachment 934169
Lmaooooo. Reason #120923049809823 why I should have just gotten a manual.

Apologies for the lack of update... The car started the next day and got into gear surprisingly enough, but I still had that increased emissions fault which still made no sense. Dropped it off at the dealer the same day (BMW of Tenafly) and of course it took them like 4 days to diagnose the problem and barely let me know what was going on.

I ended up having to call the guy to get updates myself on the car while waiting. He claims that the emissions fault was caused by the DCT Module malfunction, and that it just spewed out a couple codes. They had to order a new module (not including the stick) and recode the car to install it. Didnt know it needed an ECU flash for just a module installation, but he said it needs to be paired or coded with the rest of the car to work. I guess...

Ended up losing all my codes that I had on the car, just simple ones for windows, mirrors, lights and whatnot. Havent found the time to find someone to redo them for me, and its killing me. You never really realize how much better life is after the car has been coded until you lose ALL of them.

Car seems to be fine now, no issues as of yet but knowing my car, something will come up within a few weeks. Thank god I'm still under warranty.

TL;DR - Went into dealer, got new DCT Module installed, car works fine now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #7
KevinTorresm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw E92 M3

Hey Guys,

Having similar symptoms, First the lever fault then while driving the Dct aggressiveness would go do as I down shifted. I stopped at a light then every light came on, so I pull over turn it off turn it back on and it wouldn't let me go into any gear and the windshield wipers would not turn off. I try to turn it back on and it would just Crank and wouldn't start. tried it a couple more times and it stopped cranking. Checked the battery and alternator they were good. Towed it to my boys shop after connected to the reader and it would not recognize the Dme. So im thinking it Dme related or something. Any ones else run into this issue?

Please let me know, Thanks

-Kev
Appreciate 0