BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
TractionJackson
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 m3

Hey guys so I've done at least a thousand oil changes on vehicles with external oil filters but this was my first on the M3 with internal. At first glance I thought I had the wrong oil filter as it didn't seem like it would fit onto either side of the housing where it connects. So I ended up test fitting it on both sides (inside the housing and then separately on the cap). Is the filter only meant to be pressured into place once to ensure tight fitment? Would I encounter any problems because I had pre stretched it while test fitting before finally putting it on permanently and closing it up?

I really over-think things sometimes :
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

I think you're fine removing the filter several times as long as you replace the small o-ring and the large outer. I don't think the material on the end caps act as a seal in any way.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
TractionJackson
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSurratt2005 View Post
I think you're fine removing the filter several times as long as you replace the small o-ring and the large outer. I don't think the material on the end caps act as a seal in any way.
Thanks! Come to think of it, I don't believe I changed the little o ring. I did the oil change right before winter storage so I guess I have a little job to do before spring! Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0