BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Will Evolve Tune hurt the car in any way?

I recently got Akrapovic Evolution installed, and still deciding on either getting the Delete-R or tune to get rid of the CEL. Most people say go with the Evolve Tune, and it is one of the best mod for the car. My question is will the tune hurt or damage the car in any way? After 10 years or 100,000 miles? Is it 100% safe? Thanks!

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not very familiar with the evolve tune itself, however tunes aren't necessarily considered safe. it can cause issues, however it can also run perfectly fine. why it differs? i don't know haha. i personally run a cobb accessport on my 335 and it runs fine at 49k. no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
xilli
Resident kangaroo salesman
Australia
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / VW Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
I recently got Akrapovic Evolution installed, and still deciding on either getting the Delete-R or tune to get rid of the CEL. Most people say go with the Evolve Tune, and it is one of the best mod for the car. My question is will the tune hurt or damage the car in any way? After 10 years or 100,000 miles? Is it 100% safe? Thanks!
It's impossible to answer your question as there isn't an M3 that is 10 years old, and i doubt many that have had a tune for 100,000 miles. You'll find plenty of people that have had a tune for a couple of years and had no issues whatsoever. I've had the evolve tune for about 5 months and absolutely love it, i plan to keep it on the car until the day i trade it in!

As for safety, i believe all reputable tuners will make their adjustments within the boundaries they believe to be safe.. as none of them will want to have their name next to a '***** Tune blew up my motor!' thread. Talk to Sal at evolve if you want a little more reassurance as to the safety of their tunes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I was thinking about this claimed 02 simulator that has a tiny bit of cat in the extended 02 bung:

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

I made an inquiry and Pete from the company studiously avoided my question -- will it work on an E90M3 with S65 engine, and simply regurgitate boilerplate language from his website. I followed up by asking whether it worked or not and asked if I could try it and return it if it does not work as claimed. He again avoided answering the question of whether it would work and regurgitated more language from the website about how these are nonreturnable racing parts. After that, I got the message.

Maybe someone else wants to roll the dice on $100? Even then, the question is how long would it take for the mini cat to clog.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 11-14-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: to reflect cost of $49 each not $99 each as noted in post below
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I was thinking about this claimed 02 simulator that has a tiny bit of cat in the extended 02 bung:

I made an inquiry and Pete from the company studiously avoided my question -- will it work on an E90M3 with S65 engine, and simply regurgitate boilerplate language from his website. I followed up by asking whether it worked or not and asked if I could try it and return it if it does not work as claimed. He again avoided answering the question of whether it would work and regurgitated more language from the website about how these are nonreturnable racing parts. After that, I got the message.

Maybe someone else wants to roll the dice on $200? Even then, the question is how long would it take for the mini cat to clog.
Aren't they only $50 each? Looks interesting, I wonder if it works. Guessing probably not if he wouldn't directly answer your question
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
Any increase in power will increase wear, on some level, over time. Evolve has a great reputation from their work on the E46, specific to the difficult job of tuning the alpha N/CSL/Evolve airbox. They leave all the OEM protection in the ECU, so if anything does jump our of spec, the programming will protect the engine.

There are people that have been supercharged for 50k miles without issue, so IMHO, the chances of a tune causing a catastrophic failure, or significantly decreasing the life of the engine, is extremely low. Provided the tuner is competent of course : )
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Maybe someone else wants to roll the dice on $100? Even then, the question is how long would it take for the mini cat to clog.
I SEVERELY doubt that will work. The engine monitors the voltage at the pre and post O2 and is looking for a specific change across the cats. The chances that this generic piece will result in the correct reading seems extremely low to me.

To give you an idea, the fabspeed extenders, which do work, needed to be designed with their HFCs in mind. In some cases, they still do not work 100% for some people.

If you are super paranoid, then you could ask for a tune that *just* disabled the cat inefficiency code without changing anything else. Personally, it seems that most tuners have invested a decent amount of time on the akra tune, so it is probably pretty darn good.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Trollllllllllll. All your threads are a waste of time and most look to slander the M3. Have you even posted a pic of your ///M anywhere on the forums yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

You will be perfectly fine with any of the tunes on the market. OE, AA, etc etc... as far as the guy with the 335 and the access port, i'm not sure why your even commenting in here when you have no knowledge of the M3. O2 sims and extenders DO NOT WORK.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Any increase in power will increase wear, on some level, over time. Evolve has a great reputation from their work on the E46, specific to the difficult job of tuning the alpha N/CSL/Evolve airbox. They leave all the OEM protection in the ECU, so if anything does jump our of spec, the programming will protect the engine.

There are people that have been supercharged for 50k miles without issue, so IMHO, the chances of a tune causing a catastrophic failure, or significantly decreasing the life of the engine, is extremely low. Provided the tuner is competent of course : )
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Trollllllllllll. All your threads are a waste of time and most look to slander the M3. Have you even posted a pic of your ///M anywhere on the forums yet?
His post is legit, his Akrapovic was installed at our facility.

The evolve tune has been very good on the few cars we have dynoed, as well as reported from others using their tunes.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
His post is legit, his Akrapovic was installed at our facility.

The evolve tune has been very good on the few cars we have dynoed, as well as reported from others using their tunes.
LOL! I just realized this isn't the guy I was thinking of! Apologies OP
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

I couldn't get those to work, well even fit on my xpipe. The tranny is in the way. The ones Fabspeed uses are the J shaped and more sleek..

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I suppose you could screw them into angled or curved extenders. The big question is whether they work. Vibrant sells some nice straight and curved extenders, with 3 different inserts to limit the flow of exhaust gas, but I have not tried them, either.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

We are a company that plans to be here for a very long time. Though we don't proclaim to push the boundaries of what is avialable, we prefer to stay within the confines of long-term safety whilst supplying more power, better throttle response and the ability to choose options coupled with an advanced yet simple install program (that also reads and clears fault codes).

We've just had more stock in too
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #16
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
You will be perfectly fine with any of the tunes on the market. OE, AA, etc etc... as far as the guy with the 335 and the access port, i'm not sure why your even commenting in here when you have no knowledge of the M3. O2 sims and extenders DO NOT WORK.
i was just trying to help, i have a decent amount of knowledge on the m3, not claiming im a god or anything. no need to be a dick...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
i was just trying to help, i have a decent amount of knowledge on the m3, not claiming im a god or anything. no need to be a dick...
Not being a dick, too many people on the forums with not enough knowledge to answer questions. you may be misleading someone and then that person becomes mis-informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I think if you mod your car at all, much less having full exhaust, you're really rolling the dice expecting it to last 10 years/100k miles. I think having your car last that long stock is an accomplishment in itself.

With that said, having the Evolve tune myself, it doesn't radically transform the car into a monster. You get a bit more power, get better throttle response, and have the option for turning the cold start cat warm-up process off.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I think if you mod your car at all, much less having full exhaust, you're really rolling the dice expecting it to last 10 years/100k miles. I think having your car last that long stock is an accomplishment in itself.

With that said, having the Evolve tune myself, it doesn't radically transform the car into a monster. You get a bit more power, get better throttle response, and have the option for turning the cold start cat warm-up process off.
No offense but if you think that minor mods are gonna cut the life expectancy of your car down, you are very mistaken. Now forced induction on the other hand, you might be able to argue a case against.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Based on?

I don't think people appreciate the HELL that BMW puts these cars through in testing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Based on?

I don't think people appreciate the HELL that BMW puts these cars through in testing.
Exactly my point. Too many people on this forum spreading false info to others.
Appreciate 0