BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #265
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandfay View Post
How mine sounded on Sunday...
Holy mother of god !?!?
And that's exactly why i'm warning other members with the starting ticking noise to not getting this from in your (last) video above !!!
To be honest ! I'm getting out of my mind if this was my car !
I'm feeling so damn sorry for you and all the other members !
It seems that the more days past by... the more bearing failures posting on here,actualy it's worse and with the last builts with the updated bearings ?!?!
Conclusion....
Personal i'm thinking ---> "///M BMW is blind" or they act like this !!!
Think they are losing a lot of customers...."me" included !!!
Again feel realy ....truly sorry for you man
Also THX for sharing the video !
Note ; Would realy love to send this video to ///M Germany ?!?!
Conclusion....
What a joke....remember ...The Ultimate "5H1T" Machine ! (you can hear it in the video above )

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-18-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #266
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lead bearings FTMFW ... hell I bet, if found, the old bearings are $600 per shell now.
      07-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #267
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Lead bearings FTMFW ... hell I bet, if found, the old bearings are $600 per shell now.
What sucks is there are no bearings. Engine failures continue to pile up yet some are in straight denial about the clearance/oil combo in the s65.
      07-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #268
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
What sucks is there are no bearings. Engine failures continue to pile up yet some are in straight denial about the clearance/oil combo in the s65.
Off topic , but maybe you know a solution (fix) for this ? >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069
Thanks in advance......

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #269
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Holy mother of god !?!?
And that's exactly why i'm warning other members with the starting ticking noise to not getting this from in your (last) video above !!!
To be honest ! I'm getting out of my mind if this was my car !
I'm feeling so damn sorry for you and all the other members !
It seems that the more days past by... the more bearing failures posting on here,actualy it's worse and with the last builts with the updated bearings ?!?!
Conclusion....
Personal i'm thinking ---> "///M BMW is blind" or they act like this !!!
Think they are losing a lot of customers...."me" included !!!
Again feel realy ....truly sorry for you man
Also THX for sharing the video !
Note ; Would realy love to send this video to ///M Germany ?!?!
Conclusion....
What a joke....remember ...The Ultimate "5H1T" Machine ! (you can hear it in the video above )

Yeah that things done. Don't get everyone hyped about ticking in general as all M 3 seem to have what sounds like a lifter tick and that's normal. This is not a tick, but an audible knocking.

Sorry to say but this does not sound good at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #270
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Yeah that things done. Don't get everyone hyped about ticking in general as all M 3 seem to have what sounds like a lifter tick and that's normal. This is not a tick, but an audible knocking.

Sorry to say but this does not sound good at all.
Yes i know ...
But...In this thread and maybe even in our engines it's more than just ticking !
BTW....And i know the ticking is normal for our S65 and that from day one !
Maybe we need to say the S65 is sometimes a "ticking" bomb !
Ffffffft.....man ! I'm just soooo... pissed off and so damn angry how this can happen on a engine like this > our S65 ?!?!

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #271
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Even worse is that BMW has carried over this flaw directly from the S85. They have known about it the whole time but it seems like their cost / benefit analysis showed that it is cheaper to replace engines than fix the root cause and issue a recall.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #272
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Off topic , but maybe you know a solution (fix) for this ? >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069
Thanks in advance......
I will read the thread in its entirety and get back to you.
      07-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #273
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe

Use only 98 octane, std oil, has a gintani SC fitted, 2010 model with 88\89 bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #274
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I will read the thread in its entirety and get back to you.
Perfect ! Thanks man ...

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #275
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
How much would it cost BMW to redesign a set of bearings??
Why can't they figure this out??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #276
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I'll be honest with you guys, I have seen at least one failure due to the lack of respect for warm up procedure. This guy drove the car like he stole it every time he got in the car - cold or hot engine - it didn't matter.

This is the only failure I know of in Perth where the climate is hot during the summer and a mild winter. 99% of the M3 owners use 98 RON and not heard of any failure but for this. There is only one conclusion from this ... at least for me.

This driver didn't even know what warm up procedure was until someone pointed out to him. I am sure the damage was done by then. One cannot plead ignorance and go to BMW with a hat.

I am not saying that every bearing failure is down to bad driving habits but this one was bad and I knew it was a ticking bomb and it proved me right. Some members have been plain unlucky because either tolerance or starvation have caused damages amongst other things.

There have been other failures in Queensland, Australia where the weather is tropical for best parts of the year, that have been discussed on this forum. I don't know anything about those so cannot comment.

But the one I am talking about is very close to me hence my comment here.
      07-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #277
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How much would it cost BMW to redesign a set of bearings??
Why can't they figure this out??

I have already worked with Clevite for a redesign of the bearings. Minimum order is 1000 shells (62 cars) worth at a cost of 20k for the first batch. That includes a 8k setup and tooling fee that will not be charged on subsequent production runs. I just dont have the coin to foot the bill upfront and then have to worry about getting stuck with a bunch of engine bearings.
      07-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #278
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I have already worked with Clevite for a redesign of the bearings. Minimum order is 1000 shells (62 cars) worth at a cost of 20k for the first batch. That includes a 8k setup and tooling fee that will not be charged on subsequent production runs. I just dont have the coin to foot the bill upfront and then have to worry about getting stuck with a bunch of engine bearings.
I'd buy a set, and give you a big bag of Doritos. How's that?

On a serious note, maybe a big sponsors should go ahead and foot the bill. I'd think they'd be able to sell 62 sets of bearings (eventually).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #279
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
What about doing a crowd-funded deal like Kickstarter? Would a project like this be applicable to crowd funding?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #280
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
What about doing a crowd-funded deal like Kickstarter? Would a project like this be applicable to crowd funding?
I thought about that, It would be a much better option in the long haul than turning the crank down. Clevite would be supplied all the specs and they would manufacture them. The thing is in the future the problems are just going to continue so I feel it is a option that really would work.
      07-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #281
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I thought about that, It would be a much better option in the long haul than turning the crank down. Clevite would be supplied all the specs and they would manufacture them. The thing is in the future the problems are just going to continue so I feel it is a option that really would work.
Cost per person 62 is not that high for the re-speced bearings. It may be worth a try getting a vendor on board to see if there's enough interest to fund this.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #282
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

$20,000/62 is $322. I just spent about $345 on a set of 702/703 bearings. They are on their way to WPC now, which will cost me another $90 with shipping both ways.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #283
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'm certain that many here would trust you in pursuing an undertaking like this, and honestly 62 sets does not sound like a significant number considering how many here would likely want to swap just as preventative maintenance. The nice thing about a crowd-funded approach is nobody actually spends a dime until your number has been met and the project is a "go". I personally would have some concerns regarding throwing newly manufactured bearings into my engine without seeing some extended trial/stress test data, but I think you have the credentials to orchestrate that (or know where to find somebody that can).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #284
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
I'm certain that many here would trust you in pursuing an undertaking like this, and honestly 62 sets does not sound like a significant number considering how many here would likely want to swap just as preventative maintenance. The nice thing about a crowd-funded approach is nobody actually spends a dime until your number has been met and the project is a "go". I personally would have some concerns regarding throwing newly manufactured bearings into my engine without seeing some extended trial/stress test data, but I think you have the credentials to orchestrate that (or know where to find somebody that can).
Totally understand about the concern of using something new. It would be a lead faced bearings just like the 088-9 and Clevite would do the actual design for the fall off/ crush etc.
The idea would be to have .000 (red) and -.001 (green) bearings made. Run the -.001 on the bottom ( in the cap) to yield a extra .0005 clearance. The diameter only increases by half the shell diference as the shell numbering is radial.
Although some of the engines that I have measured are way down to .001 clearance. With those using 2 -.001 would work as that would make them about .0021 clearance. On a 2.012ish pin .002-.0023 is perfect.
-.0005 shell bearings would really be perfect too but -.0005 (yellow) shell bearings are nothing more than out of spec other shells that are remarked. Unfortunately the cost of sorting and relabeling the -.0005 shells goes up quite a bit. It adds a bunch of tedious work that they really do not want to do.
Here is another part of it. If using 2 -.001 shells the "coated" bearings are now a much better option. We have ran/tested/and blown up more stuff than anyone when it comes to coated products, saying that there are a few places that do a really good job and some others that do not. If applied correctly and clearance adjusted for the coating they work really well.

Last edited by kawasaki00; 07-21-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #285
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
$20,000/62 is $322. I just spent about $345 on a set of 702/703 bearings. They are on their way to WPC now, which will cost me another $90 with shipping both ways.
Here is the problem if a big vendor gets involved. They are not going to do things that they do not make money on. So after the first run the cost would drop to about 200 a set. Because it is a specialized part I venture to say a set of bearings is going to run $500 from a vendor.
      07-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #286
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

$500 for a set that allows me to run my engine with peace of mind is fine by me. This bearing issue is the only thing giving me pause for keeping this car for a long time.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0