BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #89
Doomsday
Registered
Rep
Drives: : (

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
You gotta love those tuners and their claims.
Headers, exhaust and intake do not 72bhp make and especially not in an N/A engine.
If the car was turbo/supercharger I'd be surprised at those gains with only those mods.

Actually it does make that kind of power with those mods. Add a camshaft(1 only) and make an additional 70bhp, no bullshit. I'm not going to go into the whole LSX list of modifications. I use to own a 2001 SS, but sold it last year and want something different. Thats why Im here.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #90
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
I was really hyped about the new Camaro .. until I saw the interior. Retro is nice, but not for the interior. GM should have done with Chrysler did and went retro for the exterior, but a modern interior where functionality takes precedence over form.
Bunkei, lets take the 35k out the door price of a camaro. Lets add another 15k worth of mods to the interior and some engine/susenssion mods. Puts at right at 50k.

With the interior mods, you can Alcantara the head line, Steering wheel, part of the dash, and Carbon fiber other accents. Hell you can even put new seats in if you like.

Take the remaining 5-8k after doing an interior update and throw in a new intake, exhaust, ECU mod, and stiffer springs/shocks and you've got yourself a 50K animal that looks great, sounds great and is still under the m3 price range.

The whole point of GM making the Camaro be what it is, is to give room for folks to make it whatever they like. They provided a fantastic exterior design, and a modest "plain" interior for just that purpose. The Camaro is an aftermarket sensation. Of course GM could have easily provided all of those nice interior nick knacks, but then the price would have been a lot more than the volume they would want to push out the door. Not to mention the amount of money GM would have to spend on supplying those parts.

I think they hit this one right on the head. Honestly if you can afford to spend 60-70K on an M3, then imagine what you can do with that money on a Camaro. Most people who spend that money just want something bad ass that comes off the line and there is nothing wrong with that.

Now having said that, being a car guy, I can appreciate the Camaro for what it is and what it can be. I also appreciate the M3 as an entire package.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #91
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Depends on what the buyer is wanting, the Camero is a great cruiser car, the M3 is a race car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #92
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Camaro ss vs M3...........

......hmmmm....You mean the PIG vs. the Cheetah? jk jk no offense!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #93
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
Bunkei, lets take the 35k out the door price of a camaro. Lets add another 15k worth of mods to the interior and some engine/susenssion mods. Puts at right at 50k.

With the interior mods, you can Alcantara the head line, Steering wheel, part of the dash, and Carbon fiber other accents. Hell you can even put new seats in if you like.

Take the remaining 5-8k after doing an interior update and throw in a new intake, exhaust, ECU mod, and stiffer springs/shocks and you've got yourself a 50K animal that looks great, sounds great and is still under the m3 price range.

The whole point of GM making the Camaro be what it is, is to give room for folks to make it whatever they like. They provided a fantastic exterior design, and a modest "plain" interior for just that purpose. The Camaro is an aftermarket sensation. Of course GM could have easily provided all of those nice interior nick knacks, but then the price would have been a lot more than the volume they would want to push out the door. Not to mention the amount of money GM would have to spend on supplying those parts.

I think they hit this one right on the head. Honestly if you can afford to spend 60-70K on an M3, then imagine what you can do with that money on a Camaro. Most people who spend that money just want something bad ass that comes off the line and there is nothing wrong with that.

Now having said that, being a car guy, I can appreciate the Camaro for what it is and what it can be. I also appreciate the M3 as an entire package.

I agree; I was just voicing my opinion why it's not exactly my cup o' tea. I really wasn't talking about the interior materials inasmuch as the design itself.

Indeed, it will be a fantasic car if you're into modding.

However, if it was my money, I'd go for the G8 instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #94
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
no offense, but American built automobiles....LMAO.
btw I have owned chevy, Lincoln, and Ford over the years.
After 4-5 years they rattle, fade, peel, etc...not all!!!, just mine
Over the years thats great, All my BMWs have rattled from day one.
      09-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #95
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Sorry, I have been in, and driven, 2 recent Mustang GT's (not 2010..) and the build quality doesn't hold up to a VW GTI even. If you want to compare the tightness of a 3 series to a Mustang you are either full of shit or you haven't been in one of the two for very long.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #96
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post

Rattling is common on ever german car ive ever seen over 4-5 years old... and I used to valet in the summers.... SO I saw a shit ton of German rattle traps
that is the most arrogant statement iv ever heard!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #97
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

the camaro or challenger shape is just too big imo. shape like a limo cab. I won't buy them just for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #98
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i haven't been in many american car, but i rode in one 2 years old chevy and the interior rattle like a 15 years car. I couldn't believe it was a 2 years old.

not to mention the dash layout is completely hideous. forgot what model it was though

i have a honda and the interior held up well. i think japanese cars have the least rattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #99
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Not sure why anyone would be comparing a Camaro/Charger/Mustang to an e92 M3. Even if straight line performance were equal and performance were close on the bends, there still is no comparison. Those who buy an M3 buy one because it is not just about the performance; there are attributes such as heritage, quality, sophistication, German Engineering and build quality that come into play when you decide on a Beemer; especially an M3.

Honestly, if you want M3 like performance then buy an M3; if you cannot afford one, then buy one of the many M3 competitors and realize than even if you spent another $30k on your car, it still will not be an M3.

I mean, even the 335 guys understand this; the 335 is much closer to an M3 than a Camaro will ever be. I will take a 335 over a Camaro or Mustang any day of the week; I'll take a 135 over a Camaro or Mustang as well.

There is nothing that can be said about a Camaro or Mustang that will make me feel like it is better than an M3; not even if you strap rocket packs to it and run a 1/4 mile in 5 seconds. At the end of the day, it is still a Camaro (or Mustang) which is a completely different league than an M3.

Just because you can modify an M3 to outperform an F430 doesn't make an M3 better than an F430 because it is just in a different league. So modifying a Camaro makes me feel the same way.

Is the Camaro nice..yes. Is it or will it ever be an M3...sadly No.

I think comparisons between an e93 M3 and a C63, 911 Carrera, Cayman S, Audi RS5, etc are valid. A Camaro or Mustang, not so much.

-SZ
Appreciate 0