BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW CCA LA HPDE @ Auto Club Speedway, Oct 1st, $199

Register HERE.

This event will run on the INFIELD ONLY portion of the track.

While the infield only portion of the track isn't as "high speed" as the Roval that combines the use of the NASCAR front straight and Turn 2, the infield only portion is far more technical and a much better learning experience than the Roval IMO. Plus the lap times are relatively short, so you get to cram in 1/3rd more laps per session.

It's a great facility and track for those who live in the LA/OC area, relative short drive means you don't need lodging and the infield rental cost is hard to beat.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
They allow spectating?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Do you know the exact track layout? It looks like there are a couple different options re T9 and T10. I might try and make it out, although a Monday is harder.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
They allow spectating?
Of course! Auto Club Speedway do not charge for spectating at private events.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Do you know the exact track layout? It looks like there are a couple different options re T9 and T10. I might try and make it out, although a Monday is harder.
I was told by the Chief Instructor(s) that we'll most likely run the same configuration as last year, which would be THIS:

p.s.: The re-entry onto track is not correctly drawn on this map, it's further down by the bridge.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Cool thank Hack I've always wanted to do a BMW CCA event at Auto Club Speedway. My M3 will be ready by then and I will sign up if it looks like I will be in California on Oct 1.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
The HACK
Rep

As professor Farnsworth is fond of saying...

Good news everyone!

We have the outside lot next to the kart track rented for Sunday September 30th for an auto cross. If you want, you can do the auto cross on Sunday and the DE on Monday!

Register for the auto cross here.

This will be an excellent opportunity to try out both formats, back to back. Cost of entry to the AX is $65. Instructors will be provided (for $65 it's pretty darn good).

And before anyone asks, why is there two separate registration process for both events? I promise I'll have it fixed next year, both AX and DEs should be on MotorsportReg. I'm also in the process of setting up a $10 discount if you sigh up for the AX, so if you do both, it's $255 for two days of pure driving bliss!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Awesome track configuration!!
Does this mean Spring Mountain is not going to happen now?

Any chance of a CCC at this event for the wife?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Awesome track configuration!!
Does this mean Spring Mountain is not going to happen now?

Any chance of a CCC at this event for the wife?

Spring Mountain won't happen this year, or at least, the chances are slim. I don't think the expansion will complete on time to allow us to use the secondary configuration. I'll try and secure a weekend early in the year next year.

We're trying to find a CCC venue that would make it financially feasible and priced reasonable for the customers. It'll be end of the year or early next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

So Cali Speedway raised their prices for the CCC venue? Greedy folks. It's not like anyone else is using that area.

Looking forward to Spring Mountain too.
Thanks, HACK.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
So Cali Speedway raised their prices for the CCC venue? Greedy folks. It's not like anyone else is using that area.

Looking forward to Spring Mountain too.
Thanks, HACK.

No, they didn't. In fact in the past they've almost always provided the lot for us to use free of charge. I was saying to use the facilities outside of a track event for CCC would be cost prohibitive, because the cost to rent that lot is already included in the cost to rent the track.

After studying recent trends, I noticed that days when we hold a CCC with a track event, we usually lose anywhere from 3-5 instructors and 5-8 A & B students (due to them working the CCC), so I've decided not to do CCCs in conjunction with an ACS track school. The "trend" at other tracks is otherwise, we don't usually lose students/instructors to CCC coaches, or at least, have been able to make due at other tracks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Cool thank Hack I've always wanted to do a BMW CCA event at Auto Club Speedway. My M3 will be ready by then and I will sign up if it looks like I will be in California on Oct 1.
Looking forward to seeing you there!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Wasteland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Space Gray E92 M3

dude! i want to go!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasteland View Post
dude! i want to go!
Better sign up now before Friday. After Friday the price goes up to $249.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reminder.
It's a GREAT configuration to start out on if you've never tracked before.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder.
It's a GREAT configuration to start out on if you've never tracked before.

I did my first ever DE at Buttonwillow. I did my second ever DE using this configuration. Let's just say the short-ish course allows for accelerated learning.

It's also a bit of an equalizer in that cars with massive HP advantages has two relatively long straights to play with, while cars with weight advantage is rewarded with a very technical sector in the back. I remember driving, back to back, a Lotus Exige S and a Mercedes SL63 back to back, and was absolutely floored by the amount of fun you can have with two very distinct cars on the opposite end of the spectrum.

On the big Roval, the Exige S would be at a distinct disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
The HACK
Rep

BUMP. Last day at the $199 price.

If you've got friends and family that wanted to participate but are not BMW CCA members, you can sign up to 8 guest using your BMW CCA member number, provided that YOU pay for the event.

Only problem is, if they're hooked and want to do future CCA driving events, they'll still have to pony up the $48 for a membership.

Also, there's an auto-cross on the Sunday before the DE.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
BUMP. Last day at the $199 price.

If you've got friends and family that wanted to participate but are not BMW CCA members, you can sign up to 8 guest using your BMW CCA member number, provided that YOU pay for the event.

Only problem is, if they're hooked and want to do future CCA driving events, they'll still have to pony up the $48 for a membership.

Also, there's an auto-cross on the Sunday before the DE.
This info comes at a perfect timing. I was trying to convince an out-of-town friend (not a BMW CCA member) to come down with me for this event and just got confirmation he's in. I'm singing up both him and me.

This will be his first time on track and he will be using my car. I'm counting on you guys to help him keep the car on the track!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to it.
What's going to happen with the garages?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to it.
What's going to happen with the garages?

Going to have the big dawg (Darren Young) negotiate with ACS to see if we can at least have one bank of garages. For the time being, it's probably safer to assume that there'll be no garage access, and at best, one single bank of garages (which will only accommodate about 40 cars).

So even if we get garages, it'll be first come, first served. Probably best to use the space for shade/gathering/bull-sh*tting each other than to park cars, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
The HACK
Rep

BUMP.

Last day to register is this Friday, September 21st! Even if you're not 100% sure, sign up and pick "check" for your payment option, that would at least reserve a spot for you until you figure out your schedule.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

GREAT event HACK, though it was a little warm!!!

Those small numbers left some residue on the window.
Any the A/B's were bummed with the time of the last run group. Was there a reason they had the last run of the day?
Appreciate 0