BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Achtung: '10 Model year TPMS sensors

We have just been advised that the '10 M3 *may* have different sensors from previous years. I will be receiving more word on this in the next few weeks. I will be delaying shipment of any '10 M3 package orders that I receive that include sensors (only 1 right now that I know of) until I am sure that we have the proper sensor.

If you have a 2010 and have already purchased sensors, do not panic. They may be the same. If they are not the same, I will post that info here, and you will be able to return the sensors.

If the sensors are different, we will make every effort to obtain them as soon as BMW publishes it's 2010 parts list.
      10-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
We have just been advised that the '10 M3 *may* have different sensors from previous years. I will be receiving more word on this in the next few weeks. I will be delaying shipment of any '10 M3 package orders that I receive that include sensors (only 1 right now that I know of) until I am sure that we have the proper sensor.

If you have a 2010 and have already purchased sensors, do not panic. They may be the same. If they are not the same, I will post that info here, and you will be able to return the sensors.

If the sensors are different, we will make every effort to obtain them as soon as BMW publishes it's 2010 parts list.
Thank you for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

interesting. does this apply to all 2010 BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
We have just been advised that the '10 M3 *may* have different sensors from previous years.
Hey Ben, a related question, and hopefully what the change might be:

Why don't the sensors have replaceable batteries? Is there any reason other than gouging consumers? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post

Why don't the sensors have replaceable batteries? Is there any reason other than gouging consumers? Thx.
Curious to hear Ben's opinion on this issue, but in the mean time I'll chime in with my 2 cents...

The lithium batteries used in many TPMS modules should last you at least 5 years. (7-8 years is also very possible depending on your driving habits) The pressure sensor and transmitter that is powered by these tiny batteries inside the TPMS module, have a very low mA draw. With the exception of defective units, it is possible to reuse these sensors IF they are handled with care during the transfer to another set of wheels.

The problems with many TPMS modules can usually be traced back to the installer, who did not carefully remove the sensor from the OE wheels, or it was damaged during the installation of a new tire due to carelessness or following an incorrect removal procedure. This is a common occurrence with many tire shops and or dealerships. Older TPMS modules require a little more TLC, since they have been bounced around quite a bit inside your wheels for some period of time.

It doesn't take much to render them usesless if your tire/wheel installer doesn't give a crap.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this system, the TPMS is a wireless tire pressure monitoring system that uses radio frequencies (433 MHz in this case) to transmit tire pressure readings to the TPMS receiver in the car. The TPMS sensors are digitally coded (a serial number of sorts) so if you have two cars driving next to each other, they do not pick up the wrong TPMS sensor reading.

The TPMS sensor contains a battery that can last a very long time, but this all depends on how many miles you drive your car per year.

Why?

Because, the TPMS sensor has a battery saving mode that only activates once the wheel in spinning. (pretty ingenious huh?)

If you drive your car alot, the batteries in your TPMS will die sooner (relatively speaking), than a car that is driven on an infrequent basis.
      10-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

On the latest version of the ETK (22.09.2009) the correct PN for TPMS sensor on BMW is
36-23-6-781-847.

It only shows that being valid for productions up to 09/09. I agree with Ben, there might be a change coming, but that is not reflected in the current parts catalogue.

Quote:
The TPMS sensor contains a battery that can last a very long time, but this all depends on how many miles you drive your car per year.
They can indeed! The TPMS sensors in my Grand Cherokee are still going strong 7 years and 85k later.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
interesting. does this apply to all 2010 BMW's?
Minis and 3-series are the only ones I have heard so far that are affected.
      10-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post

Good question. I have not heard a specific reason for this. Many manufacturers are primarily concerned with the satisfaction of the typical new-car buyer, and since the batteries usually last 7 years it has not been a major concern.

I could imagine some engineering concerns, for example: that any removeable panel or hatch or whatever to access the battery could loosen over time and cause the battery to fall out because of all the vibration that a wheel experiences.

But all of that is just hypothetical.

Great info from LeMans on TPMS in general, and all the impressive engineering that did go into the system.
      10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
On a related note: How do I fit M3 compatible TPM sensors to my BBS wheels that use that tiny valve hole? I didn't see any info in my limited search. Is there a recommended strap-on type TPM?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
On a related note: How do I fit M3 compatible TPM sensors to my BBS wheels that use that tiny valve hole? I didn't see any info in my limited search. Is there a recommended strap-on type TPM?
Joe,

Just take your drill and enlarge the hole where the TPMS sensor goes through.

Make sure you select the correct size drill bit, and that you keep the drill square to the surface you are drilling.

TAKE YOUR TIME, AND KEEP YOUR HAND STEADY!

Ths will work out better for you, than switching over to a strapped based TPMS setup IMO.
      10-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Joe,

Just take your drill and enlarge the hole where the TPMS sensor goes through.

Make sure you select the correct size drill bit, and that you keep the drill square to the surface you are drilling.

TAKE YOUR TIME, AND KEEP YOUR HAND STEADY!

Ths will work out better for you, than switching over to a strapped based TPMS setup IMO.
Thanks.
I had been wondering about that. Lots of oil since they're magnesium.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

OK, we have gotten the official word on the new sensors. They are different for the 2010 M3 than for previous years. The new sensor is also used on the 3 Series and Mini. They are $88 each with valve included (price jump compared to the old sensor).

We are getting some in stock soon, should be 1st half of November.
      10-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Quote:
OK, we have gotten the official word on the new sensors. They are different for the 2010 M3 than for previous years. The new sensor is also used on the 3 Series and Mini. They are $88 each with valve included (price jump compared to the old sensor).

PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Yes I can confirm after spending time at the BMW dealer this morning.

New TPMS sensor for 2010 M3s. Just came across this post after posting separate post just a few minutes ago.

New BMW part# is 36-10-6-790-054.

Was given the run down this morning by dealer as swapped out my OEM 19" wheels for a set of OEM 18" wheels from a previous model year. TPMS would not reset so took the car to the dealer to see why this morning. BMW has changed part for production after 9/09 apparently.

Was a surprise to the Parts guys I spoke with. Doule checked another Parts department and same surprise and comment on the change.

Both Parts department quoted - $79/sensor or $98/sensor with valve stem.

Argh. Another 4 hundo..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

The new system uses the Gen3 Sensors. Generation 3 means in short words :

In the " last Generation 2 " - is working with additional 4 triggers
which are placed in each car fenders and with an electronic control
unit.

The new generation 3 is working without the 4 triggers in the car
fenders ( reduction of componets ).

The 4 triggers were replaced by an electronic control unit which
contains also a receiver unit.

Generation 3 is still able to fulfill an independent auto location
positioning for the wheels fitted on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:

Holy crap, that's double the price I just paid for a new set for my 08
      11-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Thanks.
I had been wondering about that. Lots of oil since they're magnesium.
Doesn't magnesium burn??

Will the new sensor's given the pressure in each wheel?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

yes It burns!
      11-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

I am interested in a winter tire/wheel package for 2010 M3 sedan with sensors. The originalequipment is 19"wheels. Can we go with 18"? What do you recommend. Moderate amount of snow, moderate to a lot of ice. Highway driving primarily.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:

PM'd
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

New pricing from our supplier as we flipped over to the new year. The '10 sensors are $113 each now w/ valve included. Sorry for the increase. The change went into effect a couple weeks ago, but I just checked on it.
      01-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:
New pricing from our supplier as we flipped over to the new year. The '10 sensors are $113 each now w/ valve included. Sorry for the increase. The change went into effect a couple weeks ago, but I just checked on it.
Hey Ben,

Curious, how much are the 08/09 sensors?

Thanks
Appreciate 0