BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

09-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I was able to buy a JL-Motoring VRS Style Front Lip and JL-Motoring VRS Style Type II Rear Diffuser from a forum member for a good price.

Front Lip: The fitment of the front lip is very good. It is secured by 8 self tapping lath screws I bought from Home Depot (#8 x 3/4"). Unfortunately, this style and size only came in a pack of 200 but was only about $6.00. I had my local shop install it for me and they didn't have any issues.

Rear Diffuser: The rear diffuser didn't fit that well but would be acceptable for now until I can afford to splurge on a real VRS rear diffuser. My local shop (same one that did the front lip) installed the rear diffuser as well, but did a terrible job and they only used one long strip of the 3M tape in the center. They did not bother putting any tape on the sides. The rear diffuser was already falling off by the time I got home.....wasted $40. So, when I got home I took it off and redid the entire install with the help of an extra pair of hands. I should have just done it myself in the first place.

Tips on Installation: I didn't have time to make a DIY with pictures but here is the best I can do. The mistake that I think my shop made was that it secured the diffuser onto the car with the OEM screws as the first step. This is a mistake because once the diffuser is secured, the diffuser will want to deviate to its natural (less stressed) resting position due to gravity. When 3M double-sided molding automotive tape (you can find it readily available at Autozone) is applied to the diffuser and then stuck on to the car, the natural position (less stressed) is for the diffuser to move downward. My shop was also lazy in that it did not apply tape along every single edge that touches the bumper.

1/2" and 7/8"

SOLUTION: First, the tabs on the diffuser are slotted. Get a file and shave the slots much wider and LONGER than they normally are. Apply the 3M tape along the grooves of the diffuser with the 7/8" size. Hold diffuser up to the car and note all points of physical contact. Get 3M tape again (I bought an extra roll of the 1/2") and tape along ALL edges that touch the car, except for the portion near the OEM screws. This area is secured very well by the OEM screws so no tape necessary.

Sometimes, I even had to cut the 1/2" tape so I had 1/4" available as well. I had tape all along the outer edges of the diffuser. Even though there is not pre-cut groove, go ahead and apply tape in the area that you see that physically touches the bumper. Now, take off the backing side of the tape. Next, align the slots of the diffuser to the OEM screw holes and VERY LOOSELY secure the OEM screws. The result so far, should be that your diffuser is barely secured and has the ability to move forward/backward and left/right ever so slightly. Having that wiggle room in all directions is the key to a good install. Careful not to let go of the diffuser at this point as it will cause stress on the diffuser's tabs, which may break.

Now that you have wiggle room, get helper hands to press the diffuser hard and firm in all areas to the bumper. Hold for about 30 seconds and make sure to apply pressure evenly, everywhere you applied tape. If you now let go, you will notice that the diffuser will stick to the bumper pretty decently. That wiggle room you had left allows the diffuser to be as flush as possible with the bumper. Therefore, the less stressed position should be firm with the bumper. FINALLY, secure the OEM screws tight.

The idea is that if you tried to secure the OEM screws tight as your first step, you will never get the double sided tape to stick flush with the diffuser. My installation took about 30 min. The longest part was peeling off the backing of the double-sided tape!

Conclusion:
I am very happy with the front lip and I highly recommend it as an inexpensive VRS alternative. As for the rear diffuser, I would only recommend it if you don't have the $930+ (like me) for a real VRS. For now, I'm satisfied with it. The pictures look pretty good, but up close you can see the gaps. For those who are thinking about getting a rear diffuser and and exhaust, I recommend getting an exhaust that has adjustable tips. I noticed that I had to extend my tips on my AA Signature much further now that the diffuser was on.

BONUS: Not only do you get to see pictures of the front lip and rear diffuser, you also get to see my new Solar Gard ClearShield that is about two days old. This material is much better than Xpel, which I had on previously. My Xpel film yellowed after 10 months and was nasty. The ClearShield is very clear (even on white) (it should be since it's only two days old). You can't even see the lines, but I can tell you that the edge goes all the way up to the beginning of the hump on the hood. The template my installer used, allowed him to roll the edges for the hood and side fenders. I have ClearShield applied to my bumper, hood, headlight housings, side mirrors, door edges, and rear bumper. The film has a clearcoat pre-applied to help bug guts come off easy. However, you should still wax it every six months. SolarGard ClearShield comes with a 5 year warranty from yellowing.

Here you can see the tape being stretched out and creating a gap.

Last edited by frankzlin79; 09-25-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
powerplay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe black widow

good job, I'm about to install my front lip this upcoming weekend
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Front lip looks great...i'm contemplating this lip...but after my bad experience with Eclipse, i'm reluctant to buy more CF pieces.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

The front lip looks dead on..I've been debating for quite some time btw replica and authentic. The price differences are huge and it seems like the jl style lips are pretty quality pieces. Also with a front lip spending less means its less costly to replace because shit does happen..

Glad everything worked well for you.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycg View Post
The front lip looks dead on..I've been debating for quite some time btw replica and authentic. The price differences are huge and it seems like the jl style lips are pretty quality pieces. Also with a front lip spending less means its less costly to replace because shit does happen..

Glad everything worked well for you.

-Vin
Exaccccccccctly!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

A way of solving your diffuser gaps is to fill the whole contact surface between the diffuser and bumper with black silicone after fitting...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

nice mods so far... the car looks very sick indeed.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

Your car looks fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
QTRM3
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2008 6MT

Nice Love the front lip

I thought I am the only one having that issue VRS tyle type II rear diffuser.

Black silicone should solve it.

Remus Race Exhaust, AA X-Pipe Castles, AA SSK, AA ECU Tune, Evo Sport Pulleys, AFE Filter & Air Scope, HRE P40 20, H&R Springs ...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Considering JL copied my diffuser, of course the fitment is going to be horrible with 3M tape. Use epoxy and those gaps will disappear.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Where can I buy black silicon? Home Depot, Lowes, Autozone?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Considering JL copied my diffuser, of course the fitment is going to be horrible with 3M tape. Use epoxy and those gaps will disappear.
LOL, the gaps would still be there...just filled in with epoxy!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Where can I buy black silicon? Home Depot, Lowes, Autozone?
All those three places sell black silicone...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Frank, first off, your car looks amazing! With the new mods, it's completely transformed and the whole car looks the color it's supposed to with the ClearShield. I can't wait to see the whole thing with the new wheels.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the install. I can't believe they used double-sided tape instead of epoxy and did a half-ass job at that. Very disappointing.

I'm glad the front lip worked out for you, but it seems like you get what you pay for with these CF accessories in terms of fitment. My VRS fit perfectly with virtually no pressure, but these knockoffs seem to be a real PITA to install properly. At least the gap doesn't look real noticeable.

Last edited by TLud; 09-25-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

True the gaps would be present with epoxy because the fitment is not perfect. The non perfect fitment means a lot of pressure and stress would be needed to seal gaps, Whig neither epoxy, tape, a combination of both cannot handle.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Tlud: MW never used epoxy to install. It used the same 3M tape I used. The problem was that MW only applied a single strip of tape along the back edge and no where else. Also MW did not secure the OEM screws in the correct location on the tabs of the diffuser. I had to create a new hole in the tab to get a better fitment. MW could not get the tape to to stick because the OEM screws where not in the best location along the slots of the diffuser's tabs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
DRAMABOMB
      09-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Glad to hear fitments good on the front lip. I'm waiting on mine. Freking USPS sent it back saying it was too big to ship, only for it to be under the maximum size. Now I'm still waiting while it had to be shipped again -
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
True the gaps would be present with epoxy because the fitment is not perfect. The non perfect fitment means a lot of pressure and stress would be needed to seal gaps, Whig neither epoxy, tape, a combination of both cannot handle.
If the JL diffuser is less than 100% identical to our diffuser, then my advice is worthless. However, if the JL diffuser is identical to ours, epoxy would provide the strength needed to close the gaps you're experiencing. My post below might offer some help in remedying your issues, hope this helps:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=226386&page=9
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Tlud: MW never used epoxy to install. It used the same 3M tape I used. The problem was that MW only applied a single strip of tape along the back edge and no where else. Also MW did not secure the OEM screws in the correct location on the tabs of the diffuser. I had to create a new hole in the tab to get a better fitment. MW could not get the tape to to stick because the OEM screws where not in the best location along the slots of the diffuser's tabs.
Oops, my earlier post was backwards. Who does the receipt say did your install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
DRAMABOMB
Yeah, I liked how he casually lobbed that grenade out there, too.
      09-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
If the JL diffuser is less than 100% identical to our diffuser, then my advice is worthless. However, if the JL diffuser is identical to ours, epoxy would provide the strength needed to close the gaps you're experiencing. My post below might offer some help in remedying your issues, hope this helps:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=226386&page=9
100% correct. I have the authetic VRS. However, even that wasnt perfect in fitment. Actually, nowhere near it. Quality is awsome, but fitment was a bit off. 3m tape wouldnt dop the trick, no matter which way u looked at it. I had my body shop install it with epoxy and guess what, it looks as if its part of the bumper. Epoxy is very very strong, and it has the strength to stretch it in the perfect position. I would know, I did it.

take eclipses advice, he knows what hes talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #22
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The problem with epoxy is that it takes constant pressure holding the diffuser to the bumper and this contact should be made for several hours. Clamps don't do as good a job as having about six hands adding pressure, which gets VERY tiring, and if a hand is moved, you have to start over. I didn't have the patience to use epoxy.
Appreciate 0