BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Did a wet trackday today!

I had a motorcycle trackday at Shannonville today that was rained out 1/2 way through the day,so I figured as I had my M3 there it was time to go out and play in the rain.I learned a few things out today about how well it works in the wet stuff,some good one thing not very good

The good

The 19' PS2's are awesome in the rain,tons of grip in longitudial & lateral and very good through standing water puddles with reasonable feedback.

I turned some some laps in the 2.13 range which is only 10 seconds off what my E46 would turn in the dry for about 2 laps before you overheated the tires and slowed up.I am pretty sure that this car would be much quicker than the E46 in dry conditions.

I ran with traction contol & stability off and found that modulating the power delivery was no problem at all on a low grip wet pavement.

I was pushing the brakes quite hard with the abs pulsing in the hard braking areas and they held up quite well with a longer pedal after about 5 laps and shuddering,but came right back to normal after a cool off.Tons of pad dust on the wheels and in the drilled holes on the front discs.

Ended up turning the shocks to the comfort setting from the sport and this really helped the drivability & speed.It was much easier to drive and somewhat more predictable.

The bad.

I seem to be having an issue with the diff as I was getting lots of inside wheelspin exiting corners .The car would not take a set and went from understeer to snap oversteer extremly quickly apon power aplication or just spin the inside wheel.I do not remember this issue with my E46 and what I can remember that it acted like the Torsen that I had in my race car which made it great to drive when the grip was poor.I am quite suprised by this.
Appreciate 0