BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
pjd
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Road trip from Bay Area (Nor Cal) to Whistler

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on tires I should purchase prior to my road trip and winter use of my car.

I'm planning on taking a winter drive from the bay area up to Vancouver, then onto Whistler and Kelowna and then back to SF.

I've only recently moved from Australia to the USA, so I can't say I have any familiarity with winter road driving conditions in the northern hemisphere.

Seeing as I need new tires now for my stock 18inch rims, what tires should I consider?

Do I get full winter tires or something else (if something else, what is it)?

The plan is to visit the ski fields at Whistler and Big White over 2 weeks. Then drive back to SF and use the car for weekend trips from SF to Tahoe for the rest of winter.

For summer I plan on getting some new rims with tires then, so ultimately what tires I buy now would hopefully be ok for winter driving in the bay area also.

For summer I plan to take those rims off and get new rims with new tires for summer.

Car is a e90 M3 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

Definitely get snow tires if u r planning to drive up to whistler at this time of the year.
Also I believe for sea to sky hwy (from west van to whistler), snow tires are mandatory, people get turned back by the police if they do not have snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Snow tires are a must if you plan to take your M3 into the snow.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
The roads are cleared regularly but it will still be slippery when the sun goes down. Black ice it's called. Make sure your windshield wipers are good and fill your washer fluid.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Winter tires for sure for Whistler, but also for Big White. That drive can be nasty in winter. Hopefully your car will see winter/snow driving more than just this one trip so the tires will get reused.

There are several options for your 18" wheels but the top choices are Blizzak LM60 (best for snow/ice, less performance handling), Dunlop Wintersport 3D (good all around), Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 (best for wet/dry, good in snow). Whatever you choose, get on it right away. Winter tires sell out.

BTW, I'm jealous of your road trip. It sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
djantlive
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 Vert

I wouldn't drive actually. It is a dangerous drive that I have taken and it ended up snowing with black ice. Took my car off the road for a day.
Appreciate 0