BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

How will the LM60 hold up?

So I was all set for picking up a set of LM60's from a local tire shop here in Calgary but knowing the guy from previous deals he like deposits placed in person rather than over the phone (that's fine I'm not complaining about this at all). So it gave me chance to come on here and look at some comments/reviews on these etc..

Now people say they are GREAT for snow, literally the best. But not so good on ice. Now I know there isn't a single tire out there that is GREAT on ice but by what I've read this sucks in most peoples opinions.

We do get a lot of snow up in these parts but then again it can stop for a couple weeks at a time and just leave ice all around the city, from communities to main roads.

So my 2-part question to you guys; how will the LM60 hold up in Calgary? Also, what tire would everyone recommend for these bumpy conditions; quite a bit of ice, snow and dry pavement?

PS - I KNOW this is the wrong section but I'll get more responses than I would in the tire section. Also, yes I wish I could move to Miami or California.

UPDATE - See POST10

Last edited by BMW Fanatic; 11-01-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I can't answer your question about how well they'll hold up in Calgary, however, I have a lot of experience with this tire on rear and front drive cars. The LM60 is a winter performance tire so it sacrifices ice traction for improved cold dry and wet traction. Excellent performance in light to moderte snow.

If you want an ice and deep snow tire then I'd recommend the Bridgestone WS60 or the new WS70. However, to get the excellent ice and deep snow performance, you will sacrifice dry performance (soft, squirmy tread blocks and side walls) and some loss of hydroplane resistance in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

In harsher winter climates, I'd consider running studless ice and snow Blizzak WS60s instead of the more performance oriented LM60s.

Search around, I think there are a few members on WS60s, or at were considering them.

Good luck deciding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
So I was all set for picking up a set of LM60's from a local tire shop here in Calgary but knowing the guy from previous deals he like deposits placed in person rather than over the phone (that's fine I'm not complaining about this at all). So it gave me chance to come on here and look at some comments/reviews on these etc..

Now people say they are GREAT for snow, literally the best. But not so good on ice. Now I know there isn't a single tire out there that is GREAT on ice but by what I've read this sucks in most peoples opinions.

We do get a lot of snow up in these parts but then again it can stop for a couple weeks at a time and just leave ice all around the city, from communities to main roads.

So my 2-part question to you guys; how will the LM60 hold up in Calgary? Also, what tire would everyone recommend for these bumpy conditions; quite a bit of ice, snow and dry pavement?

PS - I KNOW this is the wrong section but I'll get more responses than I would in the tire section. Also, yes I wish I could move to Miami or California.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Quattro98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '15 F31 328i(x)

I think all tires suck on ice except for studded tires & studless ice/snow tires. I think the only studless ice & snow tire available in M3 sizes is the Bridgestone WS70. I had Bridgestone LM25 RFTs for my 335i & they weren't very good on ice. I went with the similar LM60 for my M3, I'll see how they do. In the past, I've had the multicell compound Blizzaks on an Audi & it was great in the ice, but every time I put on the snow tires, I would pull over a few times and look for a flat tire because they felt so bad in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I can't answer your question about how well they'll hold up in Calgary, however, I have a lot of experience with this tire on rear and front drive cars. The LM60 is a winter performance tire so it sacrifices ice traction for improved cold dry and wet traction. Excellent performance in light to moderte snow.

If you want an ice and deep snow tire then I'd recommend the Bridgestone WS60 or the new WS70. However, to get the excellent ice and deep snow performance, you will sacrifice dry performance (soft, squirmy tread blocks and side walls) and some loss of hydroplane resistance in the wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
In harsher winter climates, I'd consider running studless ice and snow Blizzak WS60s instead of the more performance oriented LM60s.

Search around, I think there are a few members on WS60s, or at were considering them.

Good luck deciding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro98 View Post
I think all tires suck on ice except for studded tires & studless ice/snow tires. I think the only studless ice & snow tire available in M3 sizes is the Bridgestone WS70. I had Bridgestone LM25 RFTs for my 335i & they weren't very good on ice. I went with the similar LM60 for my M3, I'll see how they do. In the past, I've had the multicell compound Blizzaks on an Audi & it was great in the ice, but every time I put on the snow tires, I would pull over a few times and look for a flat tire because they felt so bad in the dry.
Thanks for the respons guys, appreciate it!

However, I checked tire rack and don't see WS60/70 available for a 19inch application.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

I drove my e46 M3 in Edmonton and Calgary also to Vancouver and back many a times in winter. I use a winter wheel set (rims are replica style 220M I picked up all 4 rims for a very good price brand new) and always Michelin ICE winter tires. There are some great deals to be had on the Internet. I got my winter tires from Tire Rack, shipped quick and arrived 2 days after ordering at my house (saved $500- in doing so compared to Canadian Tire price)

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Quattro98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '15 F31 328i(x)

Quote:
Thanks for the respons guys, appreciate it!

However, I checked tire rack and don't see WS60/70 available for a 19inch application.
For the best performance in the winter, an 18" tire would be preferable, whether you get an ice compound or regular winter compound.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
For the best performance in the winter, an 18" tire would be preferable, whether you get an ice compound or regular winter compound.
This ^^^ and the same size on all for corners.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Definitely 18s. If it's going to be super bumpy and rutted ice all over the roads, I wouldn't want to be riding on 19s anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I drove my e46 M3 in Edmonton and Calgary also to Vancouver and back many a times in winter. I use a winter wheel set (rims are replica style 220M I picked up all 4 rims for a very good price brand new) and always Michelin ICE winter tires. There are some great deals to be had on the Internet. I got my winter tires from Tire Rack, shipped quick and arrived 2 days after ordering at my house (saved $500- in doing so compared to Canadian Tire price)
Quote:
Quote:
Definitely 18s. If it's going to be super bumpy and rutted ice all over the roads, I wouldn't want to be riding on 19s anyways.
Thanks for all the info again guys.

I decided to pick up the 18inch Sport Edition A7 wheels in black, 18X8 all around with an offset of 20. For the tires I grabbed 4 - 235/40/18 WS60's.

Great price shipped from Ben@TireRack

Thanks again guys. I chose to downgrade rim size and pick up the WS60's purely because it is a MUCH better tire on ice, especially.

Will post up pics once they are installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Super smart choice.

Quote:
Thanks for all the info again guys.

I decided to pick up the 18inch Sport Edition A7 wheels in black, 18X8 all around with an offset of 20. For the tires I grabbed 4 - 235/40/18 WS60's.

Great price shipped from Ben@TireRack

Thanks again guys. I chose to downgrade rim size and pick up the WS60's purely because it is a MUCH better tire on ice, especially.

Will post up pics once they are installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Super smart choice.
+1
Appreciate 0