BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #23
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

That doesn't look that bad. I don't understand all the hate.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #24
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
That doesn't look that bad. I don't understand all the hate.
Mention "GM" in this forum and you'll be burned at the stake.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #25
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

The problem is the car is at least 5 years too late. Electric cars are what is wrong with GM. Both the CEO and Head of research/development admit if they had not been so short-sighted when canceling the EV-1, the Volt would have been out in plenty of time to save GM.

GM management deserves to rot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
same reason why we shouldnt bail them out: coz they're fucking retarded
+1.

I suggest we give them $100 Billion dollars so they can keep making H2s, H3s and Escalades. Not to mention Jeeps and the wonderful Ford Taurus.

Every1 loves those cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #27
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The key for any electric car from GM, Toyota, etc. is the battery.

The Prius currently uses the battery for drive offs and then the engine kicks in. The volt will do the opposite by running soley on the battery and the engine will keep the battery charged as needed.

No one has a technology developed that will allow this to happen.

What is really concerning is that GM spent 800 mil on the volt. I don't get it.

The reality is everyone cannot drive all electric cars. There is simply not enough natural resources to produce all the batteries. We need a new technology that does not rely on Lithium or Nickel.

I bet a dollar to a doughnut, the Prius will sell fine at $23k, and the volt will sell very few at $45k.

Those that can afford a $40-$50k car don't car much about fuel costs, and those that by a $23k car do.
      12-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #28
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
+1.

I suggest we give them $100 Billion dollars so they can keep making H2s, H3s and Escalades. Not to mention Jeeps and the wonderful Ford Taurus.

Every1 loves those cars.
Thats exactly what put the big three in the place they are now, making gas galling suv's their bread and butter for so long. what started engraving their tombstone was the gas prices of last year (which will be higher this summer) cause people finally realized what stupid short sighted decision they made to go out and buy a 8mpg Excursion to pick up the kids or a gallon of milk at the store. Americans kept buying the big three and very few demanded a better quality product or more mpg. one good example of GM buyers who demanded better are the people of the Corvette market, which GM had no choice but to respond with a better made product.

also you all must remember a large part of the big Three customers don't have the money or the credit to go out and buy a BMW like you do. so they fall for the incentives and interest rates cause to them thats more important then demanding quality or mpg.

Americans are to blame for the place of the big three, why would you change your money maker if it sells and your customers don't ask for anything more?

Ford and GM could easily show up any company if they wanted to, but again why would they want to when their customers are buying the junk thats on the dealers lot now? all you have to do is throw a few grand back and give them "employee pricing"...americans love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #29
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 218dhb View Post
Thats exactly what put the big three in the place they are now, making gas galling suv's their bread and butter for so long. what started engraving their tombstone was the gas prices of last year (which will be higher this summer) cause people finally realized what stupid short sighted decision they made to go out and buy a 8mpg Excursion to pick up the kids or a gallon of milk at the store. Americans kept buying the big three and very few demanded a better quality product or more mpg. one good example of GM buyers who demanded better are the people of the Corvette market, which GM had no choice but to respond with a better made product.

also you all must remember a large part of the big Three customers don't have the money or the credit to go out and buy a BMW like you do. so they fall for the incentives and interest rates cause to them thats more important then demanding quality or mpg.

Americans are to blame for the place of the big three, why would you change your money maker if it sells and your customers don't ask for anything more?

Ford and GM could easily show up any company if they wanted to, but again why would they want to when their customers are buying the junk thats on the dealers lot now? all you have to do is throw a few grand back and give them "employee pricing"...americans love it!
Good points. But at 45K the Volt will be an extremely tough sell.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Good points. But at 45K the Volt will be an extremely tough sell.
now in this market to general Chevy customers yes, but even rite now i think lot's of people would buy on principle to get away far from Gas as they could (either know its not 100% get away but still something better then what is out now). if the Volt would be released in the summer with the gas prices going nuts like they did last year then i think it would be an easy sell, lots of Prius owners have way more then enough money but buy anyway..i think Americans will support the Volt enough at first just because of what it is.

I would be in line if someone would come out with something away from Gas, together with solar panels on the Garage and tax breaks for those who install them your pretty much not paying a dime to power the car....in theory of course.. I was seriously considering a ZENN and still looking but the only thing that held me back was the top speed of 35MPH, if the top speed was 60MPH would easily have one as my daily driver and the Volt makes a ZENN look like a golfcart at that..

GM had the EV1 out and look how many other companies that followed rite afterwards with their EV's and promises of something close to the EV1, Owners loved the product even. Fact is when GM actually makes a move as a leader other companies follow fast, to bad they don't do it all that often..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #31
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
How about the Tesla roadster?
I never want to own any electric car, especially not one that will cost me $100k.
Appreciate 0