BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3

Oil Analysis Report at 43K - high metal content

Actually, it's closer to 42K, but I just got my oil analysis report back from Blackstone and they are concerned with the high levels of Al, Fe, and Cu. Lead has gone down, but others are hight. Not sure what the reason could be as I have not driven it particularly hard or taken it to the track in the last 6 months. Perhaps the dealer pulled the sample at the beginning of the bleed? Any thoughts?

I hope it goes down in the next analysis. I'm definitely gonna do an oil change at around 5K miles as they suggested and try to go somewhere I can see them pull the sample so that I can make sure they are pulling a sample mid-stream.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Hmmm interesting....also interesting that lead dropped down SO significantly. Lead was very high on your first sample.

The only theory I have...and it might be 100% wrong...is that the sample was taken at the very END of the oil drain. That could be the reason why the heavy lead drained out and wasn't included in the sample, and the lighter metals were still more abundant at the end of the drain.

Or there actually is significant engine wear...but then I don't understand why lead would be so low.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

The other possibility, which is my main concern with TWS in winter, is engine might not be getting proper lubrication for precious seconds until oil thins enough after startup, hence the extra wear. Have you seen that thing when cold? It's like molasses.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The other possibility, which is my main concern with TWS in winter, is engine might not be getting proper lubrication for precious seconds until oil thins enough after startup, hence the extra wear. Have you seen that thing when cold? It's like molasses.
Since this same oil has been used in M cars for some time, wouldn't we hear of excessive wear problems in other M cars if it's the problem with the ? I have no idea if there has or has not been reports of excessive wear in other M cars, but I also don't know if anyone has been tracking this as closely as those of us on this board with all the oil analyses.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Hmmm interesting....also interesting that lead dropped down SO significantly. Lead was very high on your first sample.

The only theory I have...and it might be 100% wrong...is that the sample was taken at the very END of the oil drain. That could be the reason why the heavy lead drained out and wasn't included in the sample, and the lighter metals were still more abundant at the end of the drain.

Or there actually is significant engine wear...but then I don't understand why lead would be so low.
I do think one big variable in all of these oil analyses is how the sample is taken. I guess we'll just have to see how my next sample is and if I can find a shop to make sure they pull a sample properly....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
GPWER
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2015 AW

bump
      04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPWER View Post
bump
Why the heck you keep bumping threads man? This is not the classifieds. Either contribute something or leave them alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Do you have a tune? One thing I would wonder about if this is not a spurious report is perhaps you're having detonation? That's a known killer of bearings, ring lands, heads and other parts. I know the S65 has a very advanced ignition system, but if you have a tune perhaps this function is not working as well as factory, plus you've got that crummy California gas. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Do you have a tune? One thing I would wonder about if this is not a spurious report is perhaps you're having detonation? That's a known killer of bearings, ring lands, heads and other parts. I know the S65 has a very advanced ignition system, but if you have a tune perhaps this function is not working as well as factory, plus you've got that crummy California gas. Just a thought.
Nope, my engine is stock. All I have is an AFE filter, which reminds me that I should probably get it cleaned or changed....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any ticking sounds?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any ticking sounds?
If it was the cam/bearings, the lead values would be off the charts.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any ticking sounds?
Frankly, this car and the engine makes so many sounds that I am not used to, I've stopped trying to listen for them.
Appreciate 0