BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Since I can't floor it during break-in, some other fun - Actual E90 Weight inside

Since I can't do anything else fun; I don't feel like burning gas just for the sake of getting to the 1,200 mile mark, and washing it is pointless because there's a steady shower of tree pollen falling this time of year, here's a little geeky exercise I did today in my garage to keep myself entertained.

The car:
'08 E90 M3
Premium
Cold Weather
Sirius radio

No other options. No moonroof, 18's, no tech package, no park distance control, not even an iPod adapter. I do have a set of Weathertech all-weather mats in the car, which are a little heavier than the carpet mats.

Full tank of fuel, only drove about 2 miles from the gas station to the house. My garage floor is very close to level. Not good enough for an accurate racecar setup, but close enough that the car doesn't roll with the parking brake off.

On my scales:

Wheel weights without driver (don't worry I plugged in the scales after this photo):

Cross weights and front/rear bias without driver. Note 50% rear bias.

Cross weights with driver. Very little change in front/rear bias (50.1% rear). This car wants to turn right (>50% cross weight). I'm sure burning 10 gallons of fuel would change the front/rear bias, as it actually is supposed to be a front-heavy car. Not as bad as advertised though:

Cross weights with about 28 lbs of crap removed from the car (manuals, all-weather floor mats, trunk floor and M mobility system):

Seems like it'd be pretty simple to get this car under 3500 without driver. Hell, you're already below 3600 with 1/4 tank! Battery, a header-back exhaust, and a set of wheels would probably do it.

Enjoy!
      04-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

interesting!but the real question is how you have an 08 with less than 1200 miles?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
interesting!but the real question is how you have an 08 with less than 1200 miles?
Just picked it up last Monday, it was a leftover with 280 miles on it.
      04-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Interesting info.... When I had my car corner balanced, the weight was 3518 with just over 1/2 tank of gas. It's a DCT fully optioned car which reportedly adds 40lbs or so - so a manual coupe can easily get under 3500.... pretty cool!

BC
      04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Just picked it up last Monday, it was a leftover with 280 miles on it.
I'd say the gods where smiling on you that day. I have an '08 just like yours except it's a coupe, with the CF roof, premium, no tech, no sirius, no cold weather package, but an iPod adapter. And it's blue. It will be interesting to compare the weight of mine; once I get the time to weigh it.

Oh yeah, I have 35000 miles on the odo is the other difference.

Cheers.
      04-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I'd say the gods where smiling on you that day. I have an '08 just like yours except it's a coupe, with the CF roof, premium, no tech, no sirius, no cold weather package, but an iPod adapter. And it's blue. It will be interesting to compare the weight of mine; once I get the time to weigh it.

Oh yeah, I have 35000 miles on the odo is the other difference.

Cheers.
I'm one lucky S.O.B.

Now I want to go super-geek and weigh the wife's 335xi. Listed at 3826 lbs, wonder what it really weighs? BMW sure does put a lot of sand in the trunk for their specs.

My mileage will be high soon enough. 1,200 mile service scheduled for this Friday, should have 1,115 or so. I usually do about 350 miles a week. It's just nice knowing *almost* the whole history of the car, we were looking for used '08's and this one just kindof fell in our laps while we were looking at a different car.